Bike insurance for my new Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
This morning i picked up my new Brompton - it's lovely!
My other bikes are insured against theft and damage on my home insurance policy. I rang them to add my new bike and was told that i have reached the limit in value of bikes that they will include on the policy. I was prepared to increase my premium to include the new bike but they won't allow it.
I therefore need to take out separate insurance for my Brompton. The Brompton website offers insurance. Does anyone know if this is a good one to go with? Any recommendations for other companies? I have accident insurance through British Cycling so it is for theft and damage that i am looking for

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Congrats on the new Brommie - I reckon you will get on very well with it.

As regards insurance, the chances are your home policy covers bikes up to a certain value - mine is £2,500.

My three bikes are worth more than that, and would certainly cost more than £2,500 to replace.

I take the view a total loss - all three bikes being stolen/destroyed at the same time - is vanishingly unlikely, so I'm content to take the risk of them being collectively under-insured.

Unless your policy is individual bike specific - mine is not - you would still be covered if someone nicks your new Brommie, or one of your other bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mine is bike specific unfortunately. I had to give names and values for all mine and Al's bikes

Ah, so much for my idea, at least for now.

I doubt my policy is particularly unusual, so come home insurance renewal time you could look for an insurer which offers a non bike specific policy.

In the short term, I think your only option is to insure the Brommie piecemeal.

When I looked into that a few years ago, the premiums for a given bike value didn't vary a great deal.

As with all insurance, you don't really know if the company is any good until you make a claim.

I'd like to think Brompton wouldn't hitch up with a bunch of crooks, so if their policy is about the same price as others I'd be inclined to go with them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Where would your Brompton be at risk?
This is the key question. I have ridden Bromptons for over 20 years, and have never locked one up. At work and out and about it sits next door to me, on the train it's in sight, at home it's locked in the garage.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
This is the key question. I have ridden Bromptons for over 20 years, and have never locked one up. At work and out and about it sits next door to me, on the train it's in sight, at home it's locked in the garage.
I can see me taking it into York for shopping trips and meeting friends. I intend to use the park and ride so i don't have to pay for parking. I expect i would want to lock it up rather than drag it round the shops - though i am feling a little bit nervous about doing that at the moment!
Having had a quick look, the British Cycling insurance looks the best value. I have signed up for Brompton's 14 day free cover so have 2 weeks to do some proper research.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I thought bike insurance is included in home insurance??
Only if you haven't got a gazillion bikes named on your house insurance already!

BurningLegs

Veteran
I doubt my policy is particularly unusual, so come home insurance renewal time you could look for an insurer which offers a non bike specific policy.

As with all insurance, you don't really know if the company is any good until you make a claim.

I am with AXA for my home insurance and their bike policy works the same as yours - I paid an additional fee and any bike up to a replacement value (new for old) of £1k was covered in or out of the property without being named.

I had to claim a few weeks ago and the process was ridiculously easy - I filled out a web form then they called me with an offer the next day. I emailed them a list of accessories that were on the bike when it was stolen with values (links to Wiggle) and they paid for a new bike and new accessories within 48 hours of me making the claim.

Couldn’t have been easier and I’d recommend AXA to anyone, so long as the £1k limit isn’t a sticking point. I’d imagine that would be for a lot of CCers.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had a similar experience when I bought the carbon bike last year - the house insurers wouldn't cover it full stop as it was above their policy limit.
As it was mid-term I took a separate policy out on the new bike with Velosure who were competitive on price and included a lot of extras, like breakdown cover. Thankfully I haven't needed to claim so I've no idea what the service would be like but reviews online seem generally positive.

Needless to say I've placed my house insurance with someone who will cover all our bikes when it came up for renewal as it's by far the cheapest way I've found to cover them.

Top Bottom