Bike phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altecsole

Regular
My friend had an incident last week where his bike slipped on some ice and his new iPhone came out of his back pocket ans the screen smashed. That got me thinking about the possibility of having a cheap phone just for use on the bike? Ideally it'd connect to my Garmin with Bluetooth so I could see who was calling, and texts. Any suggestions or comments?

Many thanks.

rivers

How far can I go?

Reactions: mjr

J1888

Über Member
Guess you'd just be after a cheap smartphone that you could protect with a decent rubber case, no?

If it were me, I'd probably look at getting a second hand Samsung Galaxy S5, as you can also carry a removable battery.

Edit: clearly, it also depends on what your definition of 'cheap' is!

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Guess you'd just be after a cheap smartphone that you could protect with a decent rubber case, no?

If it were me, I'd probably look at getting a second hand Samsung Galaxy S5, as you can also carry a removable battery.

Edit: clearly, it also depends on what your definition of 'cheap' is!
I was thinking about a basic non-smartphone. Just for emergency contact, nothing else. I'm not keen on a second-hand smartphone as the battery life will probably be poor and I'd like something smaller.

Many thanks.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Thanks. I don't have a phone that is compatible with these cases. Ideally, I want something smaller too.

A very good reason not to carry an expensive phone in back pocket. Catching fire risk aside!!

Can’t you keep in a strong case in Tri, saddle or pannier and Bluetooth

Or switch it off and enjoy your ride ;)
Agreed. I just want something for emergency use and bluetooth so I can see who's calling or texting on my Garmin so I don't have to stop if it's not important.

J1888

Über Member
I was thinking about a basic non-smartphone. Just for emergency contact, nothing else. I'm not keen on a second-hand smartphone as the battery life will probably be poor and I'd like something smaller.

Many thanks.

Fair enough - but would a non-smart phone connect to your Garmin and be able to identify who is calling, or does it rely solely on Bluetooth?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/techn...ories/sim-free-phones/c:30147/opt/sort:price/ new bluetooth dumb phones on the high street from £13.

For smartphones, the Alcatel Pixi 3 can be had for under £30 new online.

But I prefer to put my usual phone in a tough case instead, avoiding faffing with diverting numbers and the elk. And in a pocket it can't easily fall out of and is unlikely to hit the ground first in a crash. I have dropped the phone while stopped and answering a call, though - the case saved it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have one of these - www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-113-Free-Mobile-Phone-Black/dp/B0087ON99U

I seem to remember getting it for £10 or free when I was on EE PAYG but still not going to break the bank at £35. It is my only phone as I am not interested in 'Smart' phones that seem to be making people dumber and dumber. It has Bluetooth and connects to my wife's car without a problem, has pretty good reception even in remote areas and the best bit is the battery life, I probably charge it less than once a week. If I go away for a few days I just charge it before I go and then forget about it, no need to pack a charger or be searching for a power socket to top it up every time I stop somewhere.
Very, small and inconspicuous so will tuck in a shirt pocket in an old sock or something. Just what you are looking for I guess?

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
I have one of these - www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-113-Free-Mobile-Phone-Black/dp/B0087ON99U

I seem to remember getting it for £10 or free when I was on EE PAYG but still not going to break the bank at £35. It is my only phone as I am not interested in 'Smart' phones that seem to be making people dumber and dumber. It has Bluetooth and connects to my wife's car without a problem, has pretty good reception even in remote areas and the best bit is the battery life, I probably charge it less than once a week. If I go away for a few days I just charge it before I go and then forget about it, no need to pack a charger or be searching for a power socket to top it up every time I stop somewhere.
Very, small and inconspicuous so will tuck in a shirt pocket in an old sock or something. Just what you are looking for I guess?
Many thanks, that sounds perfect. Cheers

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Quite a plausible idea, since a "simple" phone would be in-expensive (as little as £15). But.....

- unless it takes same size SIM as your main phone, you are lumbered with two numbers
- can you really be bothered to be swapping SIM between the two phones ?
- after having used a "smart" phone, can you still remember how to use a "simple" phone?

Personally, I think a good cover or good "carrying place" is a better idea... but... each to their own. ;)

Katherine

Guru
I know someone who uses a case designed for all the paraphernalia associated with vaping. It's a rectangular semi hard and waterproof case. He keeps his phone and ice card, debit card in it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
On the bike I carry a little Samsung PAYG clamshell - basic phone, no camera, E1270. Usually in a bottle cage bag, as I don't like carrying anything hard in a jersey pocket (knowing someone whose cycling was effectively ended when a phone damaged his spine in an off).

uk-samsung-e1270-gt-e1270rwabtu-001-black-black?$PD_GALLERY_JPG$.jpg

I've been tempted to get one of these micro or mini phones.

?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa2VCpspvD4OKLW-OlmgnBcoLN0Ac66shfWjf51Ahcm1nARXU_eyeM25K9XP7Byf8mSccJ32aG&usqp=CAc.jpg

Top Bottom