Bike phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Sounds like a right chew on swapping sim cards etc. There isn't really a problem here - just buy something to protect your phone. The chances are you aren't going to fall off and break your phone in the same way your mate did.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On the bike I carry a little Samsung PAYG clamshell - basic phone, no camera, E1270. Usually in a bottle cage bag, as I don't like carrying anything hard in a jersey pocket (knowing someone whose cycling was effectively ended when a phone damaged his spine in an off).

View attachment 395954
I've been tempted to get one of these micro or mini phones.

View attachment 395955
The Samsung is what I've got - or one of the many I've got, they do tend to collect over the years.

Alan O

Über Member
Mine's a cheap 2nd-hand iPhone 5. It goes in my bag for the duration of each journey, connected to a USB power thing so it can track Strava/GPS all day. I have incoming calls and messages disabled, and I know that no intended calls would be important enough to disturb my ride - because I've decided that in advance :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How about your mate’s phone? It’s going cheap.

Or you could use an Otterbox which I use. I work outside in less than ideal conditions and I keep it on my person for cycling. I put it in a ziplock bag just to decrease the amount of condensation. Doesn’t affect the phone in the Otterbox, but it just means I don’t have to keep cleaning the cover.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

View attachment 395955
Just don’t buy a second hand one, you cant be sure where it’s been!xx(

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went into Carphone Warehouse and asked what was their cheapest phone. They produced one for £2.99 plus £10 for the topup. I asked if they had anything cheaper and rather furtively the assistant produced the same phone but in a flesh pink with a Union flag front and a horrible royal wedding emblem embossed in gold on the back. "99 pence for this one Sir, nobody seems to want them!" It told the bloke I have my standards and took the £2.99 phone. None of the buttons was labelled so it took trial and error to make a call. I put it in my jersey pocket and went for a ride, feeling secure. Along the road my buddy and I heard a strange warbling noise coming from somewhere behind us but dismissed it as agricultural noise or a helicopter. When I got hime Mrs Gti berated me: "Why didn't you answer? I rang your new phone!" In the end I gave up on that phone and sent it to my colleague in Nigeria who hands out unwanted phones to his staff.

Julia9054

Guru
On the bike I carry a little Samsung PAYG clamshell - basic phone, no camera, E1270. Usually in a bottle cage bag, as I don't like carrying anything hard in a jersey pocket (knowing someone whose cycling was effectively ended when a phone damaged his spine in an off).

View attachment 395954

View attachment 395955
Problem is you would then need somewhere to stash your reading glasses so you could operate it!

Top Bottom