Bike puncture- bike tyre seal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Have you read that it’s supposed to be a temporary repair, I’m assuming you have an inner tube, you will have to remove the wheel, find the puncture and either repair or replace the tube, then see where the puncture aligns with the tyre and carefully check for whatever sharp thing has punctured the tube, I had a slow leak on my bike, and found a thorn in the tyre, just use the valve as a reference point, I left the tyre in place with one side off the rim, put some air in the tube where the hole was glaringly obvious, patched it then offered it up at the side of the tyre using the above method, a gentle feel inside the tyre found the thorn, which was removed, if you just spray gunk in the tube, you’ll still have a puncture

Reactions: C R

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You really need to learn how to fix a puncture, one day you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere scratching your head. Why not give a local bike shop a call and ask if you can book your bike in for a repair with a new tube but also ask if you can watch how it’s done, there are some really friendly and helpful bike shops out there.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Have you read that it’s supposed to be a temporary repair, I’m assuming you have an inner tube, you will have to remove the wheel, find the puncture and either repair or replace the tube, then see where the puncture aligns with the tyre and carefully check for whatever sharp thing has punctured the tube, I had a slow leak on my bike, and found a thorn in the tyre, just use the valve as a reference point, I left the tyre in place with one side off the rim, put some air in the tube where the hole was glaringly obvious, patched it then offered it up at the side of the tyre using the above method, a gentle feel inside the tyre found the thorn, which was removed, if you just spray gunk in the tube, you’ll still have a puncture
I know it's temporary but I still can't replace my inner tube because I tried before and it went all wrong even with the use of gcn tutorial.......:shy: So Im asking if I use the thing above can it temporarily fix the puncture until I can cycle home and then get the bike shop to change the inner tube for me.....?

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

You really need to learn how to fix a puncture, one day you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere scratching your head. Why not give a local bike shop a call and ask if you can book your bike in for a repair with a new tube but also ask if you can watch how it’s done, there are some really friendly and helpful bike shops out there.
I once came to the bike shop with my failed fake tyre puncture scenario with my bike apart and they took it downstairs and wouldn't let me watch how it's done :sad: I know I need to learn how to fix it, and I'm paranoid about going on bike rides and having a bike puncture to the point I don't want to cycle anymore, and now I'm also terrified of my chain breaking on me :sad:

DRM

Guru
I know it's temporary but I still can't replace my inner tube because I tried before and it went all wrong even with the use of gcn tutorial.......:shy: So Im asking if I use the thing above can it temporarily fix the puncture until I can cycle home and then get the bike shop to change the inner tube for me.....?
Yes, but and it’s a big but it may not seal, then you’ll be stranded, as spiderweb wrote it’s a vital skill to have.

vickster

Legendary Member
I once came to the bike shop with my failed fake tyre puncture scenario with my bike apart and they took it downstairs and wouldn't let me watch how it's done :sad: I know I need to learn how to fix it, and I'm paranoid about going on bike rides and having a bike puncture to the point I don't want to cycle anymore, and now I'm also terrified of my chain breaking on me :sad:
Join ETA Cycle rescue, they’ll sort getting you home if you have a mechanical including a puncture 👍 ( they don’t fix your bike)

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/

where are you based, maybe someone will show you how to fix a puncture 👍

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Yes, but and it’s a big but it may not seal, then you’ll be stranded, as spiderweb wrote it’s a vital skill to have.
so it might fail on me and I'll be stranded anyway?! How likely is it that it will fail?!😭 I know I need to learn how to do it but I seem to have developed some phobia around it. :sad: I know it's silly. I don't know how to get around it because I cant seem to follow the gcn tutorial.

DRM

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/T0F_hibWHlU

View: https://youtu.be/eqR6nlZNeU8

View: https://youtu.be/58STtUM-Wow

Watch the above, also see if there is a cycle cooperative near you, as these places do repair lessons

vickster

Legendary Member
Based in Nottingham. I know it's silly that I still can't fix it :sad: So how does it exactly work with ETA picking you up, how long will you have to wait?! Have you used the service personally?
No I’ve never needed to use it, but I do have it, If you have questions about the service, just phone them up!

contact these guys and see if they are offering maintenance courses
https://www.facebook.com/nottinghambikeworks/
not sure they are due to Covid unfortunately
https://www.nottinghambikeworks.org...PLfXaFocmSJB1PE3CinEADhNEkKS4fVVWB1Jtb5IPK7jM

Last edited:

Yeah I don't think bike shops would be up for letting customers watch them work in Covid times sadly.

Fixing punctures is easy. I've been doing it since I was about 13 or so. And that was before the advent of you tube to show me.

You really need to be able to be able to get a new tube in unless your mum is on call to come rescue you every time you're out.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Yeah I don't think bike shops would be up for letting customers watch them work in Covid times sadly.

Fixing punctures is easy. I've been doing it since I was about 13 or so. And that was before the advent of you tube to show me.

You really need to be able to be able to get a new tube in unless your mum is on call to come rescue you every time you're out.
My Mum is quite far from Nottingham so she wouldn't be able to rescue me. I feel stupid that I don't know how to do it :sad:

Top Bottom