Bike storage at work... who's liable for damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the company have a car park?

If so, ask why they're happy to spend mo ey on car parking (business rates will reflect that), yet arent prepared to spend it on proper cycle parking. Very pertinent too, seeing as ar driving has passed its zenith and the numbers will now only ever dwindle.
He says not for staff

vickster

Legendary Member
I would but I'm 100% certain there isn't one.

I'll have to try my best not to be an arse regarding this. For a company that promotes the C2W scheme as a perk, it's a bit odd that the area manager is actively discouraging cycling to work by taking away the sensible places to park our bikes.
That’s the company’s stance, presumably not his specifically (maybe he’s on a power trip or this has really come from on high)

Can you go to his boss and ask for a discussion around this. Request a health and safety risk assessment as part of that

Thomson

This is the reason I have a work bike and a good bike. There’s a bike rack at my work inside the building round the back for four bikes. There’s only two off us who cycle in every day and another guy is a few times a week. And a couple off summer day cyclists. But leave there bikes in there work sheds. On the few occasions I have took my good bike I put it in a very small office (hardly used) locked. Having a work bike for me really puts my mind at ease . There is a bike rack at the front off our office staff buildings ave maybe seen a couple bikes there and a bike chained to the fence next to the side door a few times.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That’s the company’s stance, presumably not his specifically (maybe he’s on a power trip or this has really come from on high)

Can you go to his boss and ask for a discussion around this. Request a health and safety risk assessment as part of that

I think he (the area manager) is on a bit of a power trip. A few months ago he tried to ban us from drinking water unless we're on our break. We kicked up a fuss and he then gave us 'permission' to drink water under certain conditions. We kicked up a fuss and told the store manager to tell the area manager that he can't pick and choose which basic employment rights we're allowed. The drinking ban was dropped and a few weeks later he banned us from listening to music on headphones when the store's closed... H&S grounds, we mightn't hear the fire alarm!

DRM

Guru
I would but I'm 100% certain there isn't one.

I'll have to try my best not to be an arse regarding this. For a company that promotes the C2W scheme as a perk, it's a bit odd that the area manager is actively discouraging cycling to work by taking away the sensible places to park our bikes.
That’s my point, show why in black & white in a proper risk assessment, or it’s BS dressed up as H&S

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I had my bike stolen from the head office of a blue chip. The bike was locked outside to a sheltered Sheffield stand.

Whilst being sympathetic, they said their insurance did not extend to employees' belongings.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If the boiler room also has the gas shut-off & the electricity distribution board clear access is needed in the event of the Fire Brigade needing access
Also. Have you ever got your bike out of a rack and had to give it a Yank as it's wedged against another bike? I expect there are concerns about doing this in close proximity to gas pipes or electrical cables as it could cause hazards.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont think an employer has any legal obligation to provide any type of parking facility.

If your bike gets damaged I would imagine its your responsibility.

Ask your employer. But you know the answer.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I dont think an employer has any legal obligation to provide any type of parking facility.

If your bike gets damaged I would imagine its your responsibility.

Ask your employer. But you know the answer.
I know they don't have to provide parking but there's two places within the store that we could park our bikes where they'd be less at risk of damage than the warehouse.

If my bike is damaged by a member of staff doing their job, I'll be putting a claim in for damages against my employer.

I'm not planing on asking the area manager anything... I'm going to tell him that in the event of any damage to our bikes, we'll be putting claims in.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I know they don't have to provide parking but there's two places within the store that we could park our bikes where they'd be less at risk of damage than the warehouse.

If my bike is damaged by a member of staff doing their job, I'll be putting a claim in for damages against my employer.

I'm not planing on asking the area manager anything... I'm going to tell him that in the event of any damage to our bikes, we'll be putting claims in.

You run the risk of having your bikes banned anywhere on the premises at all. You need to be aware of the situation you are in before you go in all guns blazing.

D

Deleted member 26715

If i was the owner of the business I'd advise you that the bike should not have been on the premises & it's your own fault it was damaged. (playing Devil's advocate)

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

If i was the owner of the business I'd advise you that the bike should not have been on the premises & it's your own fault it was damaged. (playing Devil's advocate)
but they're not saying our bikes shouldn't be on the premises... they're telling us to put them in a place where they could be damaged rather than letting us keep them somewhere they likely wouldn't be (i.e. staff canteen or boiler room)

Sixmile

Veteran
but they're not saying our bikes shouldn't be on the premises... they're telling us to put them in a place where they could be damaged rather than letting us keep them somewhere they likely wouldn't be (i.e. staff canteen or boiler room)

At least it's an option all the same. The warehouse probably isn't ideal by the sounds of things but your employer probably thinks it's a reasonable compromise.

After a failed theft attempt of my bike on work premises (it was locked to a rail in our pass protected rear alleyway) I was told by H&S to 'find somewhere' to put my bike in future. We're severely limited in space, outside was no longer an option, I'd unsuccessfully inquired about the boiler house and eventually made do with a very tight cleaners store near the rear exit. It makes things a little awkward for the cleaner but she has been most accommodating and now thankfully I've a semi-decent store out of sight of anyone.

Top Bottom