Bike supply shortages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m being messed about on one sale, planning to cancel if she doesn’t pay up and collect :angry:
Then I can relist at the £1 fee (I’m not much of an eBay seller but presumably I have to write a completely new ad to avoid the eBay Gestapo picking up on it?)
No. I cancel a sale and then relist exactly the same listing, with no changes whatsoever. I do it to make sure I can stay on the £1 deal as long as possible.

dhd.evans

Veteran
It's gone a little insane, i'll give you that. Weights and bikes? Hens teeth with insane prices. Friend posted a generic singlespeed Dutch-style ladies bike yesterday at 1000hrs. Gone by 1100hrs. Asking price was £99, she was offered over and above that after it was gone!

I was quite proud how i was getting on at the gym just prior to lockdown. I was deadlifting, clean-and-pressing at my max weights and reps. Then lockdown. And booze. And no weights in the house. I managed to get a single 20kg dumbell from FB marketplace, paid £35 for it which is peanuts given how mad it's gone locally. People are now quotine £2-4 a Kg on weights. Think about that!

jay clock

Massive member
@jay clock
Get her to ask the shop to check the frame thoroughly before shipping as someone else on here bought one recently and it had a small dent in the frame (he kept the bike and got a further discount)

@Corsica_13 can share his experience
thanks @vickster .... the Whyte arrived today unassembled - luckily that is what I am for. She now has a lovely new 10.5kg bike to replace her old 16kg one and is delighted. Can I just recommend being careful riding a bike set up for a woman with a 35"leg. Ouch!

My only compliant is the ludicrous Whyte security bolt on the axles requiring a special tool

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks @vickster .... the Whyte arrived today unassembled - luckily that is what I am for. She now has a lovely new 10.5kg bike to replace her old 16kg one and is delighted. Can I just recommend being careful riding a bike set up for a woman with a 35"leg. Ouch!

My only compliant is the ludicrous Whyte security bolt on the axles requiring a special tool
But the tool is provided so no issues :okay:

BurningLegs

Veteran
It is a shame that the security axle is required. It's a difficult choice - replace it with QR and take the risk of theft, or don't replace it and take the risk of being caught without it after a puncture. :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It is a shame that the security axle is required. It's a difficult choice - replace it with QR and take the risk of theft, or don't replace it and take the risk of being caught without it after a puncture. :wacko:

Or a lock. My wife's hybrid has sort of security QRs but you could release them with an allen key if you lost the screw in lever.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm had another pestering about buy it now on tag-a-long, but they have a feedback of 10. Even well used ones are fetching £100. Mine is near mint condition.

WHY IS NO ONE BUYING MY THORN RAVEN TOURER?
Rohloff equipped and both racks. All I want is £1250.....that's giving it away!!!
I think I will try gumtree.

My replacement frame from Scot has taken 2 months to get shipped to the LBS, then they tell me it is going to be at least a month until it can be put together.

Corsica_13

Hey,

As @vickster mentioned, my Whyte arrived with a small dent in the frame which the supplier had Whyte confirm it had not affected the frames integrity in anyway and with a bit of negotiation, I was able to get a further 15% off the total price.

I presume when putting the bike together you inspected it and all is well :okay:

I hope she enjoys her new bike, I certainly am! :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Rohloff equipped and both racks. All I want is £1250.....that's giving it away!!!

Because your Thorn is a serious touring bike, and the typical born-again lockdown cyclist, at best, is only in the market for a relatively mainstream hybrid or MTB at the lower end of the price spectrum. A lot aren't even buying cheap but decent bikes, they are just buying BSO's! Most of them will have never even heard of Thorn tourers or Rohloff hubs, and will not appreciate that what you are selling is essentially a Rohloff with a bike frame attached to it. The fact that the economic outlook is decidedly iffy in the short term means that even serious buyers who know what a Thorn and a Rohloff are, may be reluctant to shell out that much cash, especially as they probably already have something similar already.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I think I will try gumtree.

I don't think you will have much luck on gumtree at that price point unless it's an eBike. £10-200 is the price range that shift on gumtree, its essentially an online car boot sale.

DSK

Gumtree is still worthwhile. I sold my Btwin Tilt, Cboardman upgraded to Ultegra and 2 Trek Madone 5.2's on Gumtree with the latter being £550/£800/£865. There's no harm in using Gumtree as you never know where the right person may spot your advert.

But the price of your item has to be right/fair/sensible as asking silly money will leave you with low offers at best but, more realistically no interest. As with all adverts, make sure you provide lots of good photos and that the advert detail is well written. Nothing worse than seeing adverts with crap photos and people who cannot spell.

Top Bottom