Bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Looks very nice. I was gutted when they moved the whole range on to the SL4 frames for 2014, the Tarmac Sport is only an extra £100 than the equivalent SL2 was last year :-(

The SL4 looks a lot nicer with the internal cable routing and while I absolutely love my SL2 I don't dare take an SL4 out for a test ride as I will probably end up trying to buy one!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
ah yes got you eleccy is nasty stuff!
you do much spray painting then? what do you paint?
Cheers Ed
Anything I make really but I try to stick to just painting windows and doors . Not very exciting but it pays the bills .

young Ed

Veteran
[QUOTE 2942842, member: 259"]Terrible weight premium with those valve caps though :thumbsup:[/quote]
yep
bit of cling film or lightweight thin tape should do it!
he also has a reflector on the back of seat post which is the reason he didn't get into TDF!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
yep
bit of cling film or lightweight thin tape should do it!
he also has a reflector on the back of seat post which is the reason he didn't get into TDF!
Cheers Ed
That's not very aero . Commando valves will shave seconds off your times :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Im only a little 55 kg . Is that right ? 8 1/2 stone . That's lighter than my bike :eek: Im going for a donner kebab !

bigjim

Legendary Member
In Mallorca last week I hired an 8kg carbon bike. It was really good on the hills. But I can't say I enjoyed it any more than the 11.5kg Raleigh Sprint I've been riding all winter.
Thinking about it it probably wasn't even as good. Why's that?

U

User33236

My road bike is about to go on a diet. Got some hand builts on order and can't 'weight' to do a before and after comparison compared to stock wheels.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
In Mallorca last week I hired an 8kg carbon bike. It was really good on the hills. But I can't say I enjoyed it any more than the 11.5kg Raleigh Sprint I've been riding all winter.
Thinking about it it probably wasn't even as good. Why's that?
No idea but I do feel the same with my Defy 5 . At a guess , maybe you know your bike better so even though its heavier you just know how to ride it better . Also your local routes are known to you so you know what to do and when .
As I say this is just a guess .

jack smith

Veteran
my first bike a heavy viking road bike seemed to ride faster and smoother than my new specialized allez im not sure if its psychological cause it was heavier and stiffer or if it actually was, i managed a similar average speed on it over my normal route after riding it for the first time after a month or two it only had a 7 speed cassette so i ran out of gears so i cant help but think if i hat an 11t at the back and a bigger front chaining it would have been quicker, so im not too sure myself lighter is faster overall, todays purchase was a digital hanging style luggage scale from ebay for £2 odd and im weighing everything! ( it is accurate ice checked with weights) seems my new shimano wheels are a fair bit heavier than stated too...hmm...

Top Bottom