Bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Just back from a cold, wet 24 miler on the Raleigh Sprint. One thing I've noticed it seems smoother than the carbon bike and it's definately quieter. Almost silent.
The carbon job had Aero wheels whilst the Sprint still sports the original 36 spoke jobs. I think there was more of a vibration on the new bike.

Brandane

Legendary Member
In Mallorca last week I hired an 8kg carbon bike. It was really good on the hills. But I can't say I enjoyed it any more than the 11.5kg Raleigh Sprint I've been riding all winter.
Thinking about it it probably wasn't even as good. Why's that?
That is good to know. I was in Majorca (Alcudia) last year, and didn't want to hire a carbon bike in case I liked it so much that I didn't feel the same about my ali Secteur when I got home ^_^.
I ended up pottering about - in the rain for 5 of 7 days - on a hotel rental MTB..

Brandane

Legendary Member
My bike weights:

Specialized Secteur 9.0kg
Trek 7.3fx 11.2kg
Specialized Tricross 11.7kg
Puch Alpine 12.0kg
Trek 6500 MTB (carbon fork) 12.3kg
Carrera Vulcan MTB 12.8kg

Brandane

Legendary Member
does people go by the weight shown on the manufacturer website or do you weigh it yourself.
I weighed mine on the bathroom scales! Very unscientific as some bikes have bits and pieces added, rack and mudguards in the case of the Tricross. Plus, it is difficult to balance bikes on the scale without affecting the reading.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
does people go by the weight shown on the manufacturer website or do you weigh it yourself.

I get my bikes weighed at the LBS as I build from framesets manufacture quoted weights have no relevance

NorvernRob

My Planet X Sab carbon weighs 9kg including saddlebag + spares/tools, Garmin and bottles/cages (bottles empty!) Basically as I ride it apart from full bottles.

Tbh I'm considering ditching the 52mm aero wheels for something as light as possible, Sheffield is all hills and I need all the help I can get.

maltloaf

My daily pinnacle dolomite 4 with heavy open pro based wheels on including the tools I carry is 10.5kg. The bike I just built up alu frame carbon forks and 105/ultegra is a smidge over 9kg

The lump on the back of them is considerably more...

oldroadman

Veteran
My S-Works Tarmac hits the scales at 13lb (5.89kg)

My S-Works Epic WC 29r comes in at 8.6kg.

Not weighed my Venges recently
Worrying that the Tarmac needs weights somewhere to hit the minimum legal race weight of 6.8kg. I wonder whether the UCI will drop this nearer 6kg in the near future. Everything is getting lighter, provided reliability and strength is not compromised then that's OK, but just getting silly light at the expense of strength is not perhaps a great idea.

oldroadman

Veteran
I weighed mine on the bathroom scales! Very unscientific as some bikes have bits and pieces added, rack and mudguards in the case of the Tricross. Plus, it is difficult to balance bikes on the scale without affecting the reading.
Method - if you must. Stand on scale carrying bike, note weight reading. Put bike down, note new reading. Subtract one from the other and you have bike weight. Simples!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Method - if you must. Stand on scale carrying bike, note weight reading. Put bike down, note new reading. Subtract one from the other and you have bike weight. Simples!
Wouldn't work on my crap-o-matic electronic scales. Depending on what part you stand on, angle of lean, etc., you can find the reading varies by about half a stone :ohmy:. So useful for comparison purposes only, or for weighing lighter items (e.g. bikes).

Top Bottom