BIKES on the train NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
People have a seemingly desperate need to have their actions defined by some sort of authority figure. I was angry about it a few weeks ago when it all started and people were posting about 'loopholes' and I'm angry about it now. Just stay the fark at home, it's not difficult. You can't need your hand holding that much.

I am of course aware that I've posted some stuff about being able to do what I want because I'm autistic but that was a joke, I hope that was clear.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
@sleuthey: the use of a car to go to yr exercise point is permitted. So, is it so different to take the train?
I was unaware you considered your self a non carrier. I guess from my point of view it would be best to start exercising from when you leave the house as taking a train encourages others to think it’s ok to do the same

gavgav

Guru
@CT: To explain 1) I am not greatly concerned about exposure because I had the CV19 at the end of March and have fully recovered. I therefore have immunity and will not be a carrier 2) we live in Fulham; so to get to open country to the South I have to ride 45 mins to say, Banstead, to SW it is about 50 minutes to Esher and to the West about one hour to Sunbury in the Thames Valley.
@Domus: the point re essential workers is valid but I will always be travelling anti-flood - after 0930 outbound and before 1700 inbound.
@sleuthey: the use of a car to go to yr exercise point is permitted. So, is it so different to take the train?
1 - there is no proof that people have immunity, if they’ve had the virus
2 - You CAN still be a carrier, if you have the virus on you, but aren’t showing symptoms.
3 -
View: https://twitter.com/vikkiludlow/status/1254108822538457089?s=21

Cycle from home.

AFAIK, there are not the same restrictions on bus travel, which doesn't exactly seem logical... (Not that that is much use to you unless you are riding a Brompton!)
But buses don't have touch screens to remind you of your simple, and bleeding obvious, civic duty - this used to be called common sense, erm well that's until it became less common, stupid is as stupid does and all that...

mustang1

Legendary Member
You can't assume you have immunity the virus is still too new to know that. Equally no one really knows even if you've had it and you can't still act

stuff deleted

If you do go ahead don't be surprised to get the BTP offering you some friendly advice in your ear.
It's not like they won't spot you at the moment they have become well use to spotting unnecessary travel.
Some light hearted humour: of course, it won't really be in your ear. They will probably use a megaphone and shout it out from a distance.

But I take OP's point that he will travel against the flood of people (assuming that's correct). I would suggest taking public transport is perhaps in tune with what the others have said. Also take note about being immune to covid if you already had it; WHO says there is no evidence of that.

vickster

Legendary Member
All the trains I’ve seen around here (while waiting at level crossings) are very empty, maybe a couple of people per carriage. Still wouldn’t condone a non essential journey by one👍

Soltydog

Legendary Member
From the National Rail website "In line with government advice, you should only be travelling if you are a key worker or it is essential for you to do so "
So that's a NO :okay:

People have a seemingly desperate need to have their actions defined by some sort of authority figure. I was angry about it a few weeks ago when it all started and people were posting about 'loopholes' and I'm angry about it now. Just stay the fark at home, it's not difficult. You can't need your hand holding that much.

I am of course aware that I've posted some stuff about being able to do what I want because I'm autistic but that was a joke, I hope that was clear.
It was a fair question to a friendly place. Advice given nicely and accepted nicely. No need to slag folk off.

I second the advice to head for central london @gbs. Amazing at the moment, you will never see it like this again.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do understand your motivation. I live in a similar situation where cycling from home isn't actually pleasant until about an hour or so in. Up til then it's crap with lots of junctions, traffic and so on. Under normal conditions I like to make use of trains for my longer rides (normally for the post ride inward leg) - but under the present circs with less traffic maybe things are a bit less crap.

Anyway, your question seems to have been answered. Shame, but there it is.

vickster

Legendary Member
It was a fair question to a friendly place. Advice given nicely and accepted nicely. No need to slag folk off.

I second the advice to head for central london @gbs. Amazing at the moment, you will never see it like this again.
I'm yet to go myself as there and back is a bit far for me currently...especially without a leisurely coffee break and it's likely nowhere is open! I don't want to have to get the train back! :blush:

winjim

Smash the cistern

No, the advice was taken only when it was specifically pointed out that there was a message on the screen of a ticket machine at the station.

Stay the fark at home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Admittedly there may be practical issues which make it difficult for people in some circumstances, but people are dying every day in their hundreds and I have very little sympathy for anyone who hasn't by now understood the very very simple idea that we all need to stay the fark at home. You shouldn't need the government to tell you, you shouldn't need the railway company to tell you, you shouldn't need a bunch of cyclists on a message board to tell you and you shouldn't need me to tell you.

Stay the fark at home.

I'm yet to go myself as there and back is a bit far for me currently...especially without a leisurely coffee break and it's likely nowhere is open! I don't want to have to get the train back! :blush:
You should go, not too far from you surely. As for refreshments (and always best to carry energy stuff) that's what panniers are for. We are lucky to be cyclists. It's amazing, encouraged a neighbour to go with kids the other week, they really enjoyed it. Quieter than the quietest possible sunday as no tourists. Short of a nuclear attack, will never be like this again. Police won't bother you, royal parks are being sensible.
Use gps auto routing for a dawdle back and you will doubtless discover by accident lots of interesting corners in a fascinating city.

No, the advice was taken only when it was specifically pointed out that there was a message on the screen of a ticket machine at the station.

Stay the fark at home is not a difficult concept to grasp. Admittedly there may be practical issues which make it difficult for people in some circumstances, but people are dying every day in their hundreds and I have very little sympathy for anyone who hasn't by now understood the very very simple idea that we all need to stay the fark at home. You shouldn't need the government to tell you, you shouldn't need the railway company to tell you, you shouldn't need a bunch of cyclists on a message board to tell you and you shouldn't need me to tell you.

Stay the fark at home.
Well you clearly like saying fark. Some fresh air in order. Look forward to posts on your rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom