Bikes on Top Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tim Bennet. said:
Yes, that wasn't Hammond's first time on a bike by far!
True, although ungainly, he was clipping along quite nicely!

Still, If they'd also included a Red-Bull fuelled RLJ'ing fixed-riding Courier, they'd have all been stuffed...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bigtallfatbloke said:
it would have been better if clakson had been on the bike.
The bike wouldn't of won ... but it would have been funny.:blush:

They had to race from west London to City Airport. Hammond on a bike, the hairy bloke in a huge Merc, the Stig on public transport, and Clarkson in a speedboat.

Bike won, followed by boat, train then car last.

Every week after Tg hat is full of people saying that it is setup & contrived just for TV.

Why is it different this week?

Oh yes, because it looked as though a BIKE won.

Isnt Simon cowell an arrogant pillock though.

Who would switch TV on to watch Mr Grey? Is Cowell really that arrogant or might he have a routine that helps him earn a good living?

monnet

Guru
John Ponting said:
Every week after Tg hat is full of people saying that it is setup & contrived just for TV.

Why is it different this week?

Oh yes, because it looked as though a BIKE won.

Funny that, you know, on a cycling forum, we might be interested that they featured a bike and that the bike 'won'.

I agree with the posts about Hammond's cycling too. I though he was particularly adept at handling the lights, not exactly track standing but doing enough not to have to take his feet out of the clips.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Fab Foodie said:
True, although ungainly, he was clipping along quite nicely!

Still, If they'd also included a Red-Bull fuelled RLJ'ing fixed-riding Courier, they'd have all been stuffed...

monnet said:
Funny that, you know, on a cycling forum, we might be interested that they featured a bike and that the bike 'won'.

I agree with the posts about Hammond's cycling too. I though he was particularly adept at handling the lights, not exactly track standing but doing enough not to have to take his feet out of the clips.

Hammys track standing was impressive, but at one stage he did mention the "feckin red lights, I'll have to stop 'cos the cameras are on me". Tongue in cheek maybe ?

Anyhow, thoroughly enjoyed it !

bonj2

nah, looked about right in terms of leg speed to me. can't see why he had toeclips rather than clipless though...

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hammond made me PMLing when he said "i'm gonna be sick!"

if he had jumped the red lights, he would have been there hours before LOL!

All the near misses he had with buses, hope the bus drivers were watching tonight and took note! They should send the tape to all the Local Councils so they know what it's really like to ride a bike and how craply designed their cycle lanes are.

Membrane

Not really a good promo for cycling though, hamster was swearing every other second at busses, being cut up, traffic lights, pollution, making a sarcastic comment to pedestrians etc. He didn't look comfortable at all, never mind enjoying it. It doesn't have to be like that. A proficient cyclist would have just got on with it, without the panting and still would have won it easy.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Membrane said:
Not really a good promo for cycling though, hamster was swearing every other second at busses, being cut up, traffic lights, pollution, making a sarcastic comment to pedestrians etc. He didn't look comfortable at all, never mind enjoying it. It doesn't have to be like that. A proficient cyclist would have just got on with it, without the panting and still would have won it easy.

why don't you volunteer..... challenge Clarkson to a dual. you on a bike versus him in that formula one road car he was testing. should be a larf!

longers

Legendary Member
Membrane said:

Have you read this forum?

monnet said:

I totally agree that we are all interested that it featured a bike and that the bike 'won' .. but was the result any more 'genuine' than any other similar events on TG ? I was surprised that public transport did so badly; once the bus section was finished I would expect the tube to rattle along. Thought Hammond did very well on the Sirrus, obviously a regular cyclist; would he have been much quicker on his motorbike?

mondobongo

Über Member
Clarkson was restricted to 9mph until Wandsworth bridge and even when he opened it up could not crank it up due to traffic on the river. As Clarkson christened the rowers the 'cyclists of the river'.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I was cheering Ham Head on, however I think that race was during the school holidays as the traffic didn't look that heavy, also I have to question Ham Heads route across town, was he sight seeing?

Top Bottom