Bin Men - stupid? or following process?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you should contact your local paper, this is clearly very serious.

I dropped a tweet on twitter the other week about a certain road in my home town being extremely muddy outside a school (undergoing building works) and mentioned health and safety, joint responsibilty of council and contractor, blah, blah.
Next thing i've got a tweet back from the local newspapers editor saying "he'd send a photographer out the next day".

WTF???

I know the local rag-editor has got it in for local government, but ..... maybe you should use twitter to slag off the local bin-men
and see if it works for you. ;)

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Why do we all keep :hungry: this :troll:??
Its rubbish.....we have all bin here before....and to keep encouraging him would be (t)rash.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a neighbour who doesn't shift the bins for days - stay outside the front of the house !

Get on yer bike anyway - the bin men knew you were driving and we sent 'em round !

Shopkeepers/cafe owners can get prosecuted by local government if they block pavements outside their premises.

Local government then turn a blind eye to their own staff blocking the pavements with wheelie bins.

mangaman

I think you should contact your local paper, this is clearly very serious.

I agree - the whole of BFF bin-related tragedies (and I don't use that word lightly) have affected me profoundly over the last few weeks.

I find myself waking with a cold sweat on BFF collection day wondering what possible further disasters could strike.

Have you considered giving them a good kicking - I'm sure it's the only language they understand (probably being Polish or something).

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Arrived home today in the wifes car and we held up all the traffic so I could dive out of the car and move the bin (that I'd remembered to put out last night) that the bin man had left on the pavement right in the middle of the drive so we couldn't drive in.

Are bin men thick, bloody-minded or is this policy?
Sexist git............

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
So, for the few seconds it took for you to dive out of the car and move the bin it has driven you to distraction. I feel you need to seek avertion therapy, or such like for your feelings against your bin men. They are not all stupid, some maybe, but as stated by marinyork it is not not a tidy bin competition. As for cyclists going over your bonnet, would he as stated be cycling on the pavement? Sorry for rising to the bait.:banghead:
I was half on the pavement, half on the road because they'd left the bin approx 2 yards from my drive boundary and 2 yards from edge of pavement/road, slap bang in the middle of the driveway.
Given your work principles, next time I install a phone line I'll rush the job and install the wire right along the middle of the customers wall, over the coals in the fireplace and when she complains I'll say that's how eccentric cyclechat Guardian readers think it should be done.

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
[QUOTE 1695110, member: 9609"]Is this a cry for help ?

I am no psychologist but will have a go - I think you need to be more positive about your job, there is no disgrace in emptying bins, in today's society it has become quite a desirable career; good pay, excellent job security, plenty holidays, early retirement and a guaranteed pension. If you can become more positive about yourself you may one day attract a woman. That woman may become a wife and you may eventually have a house with a driveway and become a two car family.

One thing that does puzzle me about your fantasy world, why do you choose to live on such a busy road?[/quote]
Err, one out of 4 - I am neither positive or negative about myself, we have 2 cars, we have a driveway and you are correct about the busy road. Meet the wife, who I attracted 23 years ago (or is it the wife...you decide). She's 40 in this picture but 23 years ago she was a stunner.:girl:
rachpic.jpg

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I agree - the whole of BFF bin-related tragedies (and I don't use that word lightly) have affected me profoundly over the last few weeks.

I find myself waking with a cold sweat on BFF collection day wondering what possible further disasters could strike.

Have you considered giving them a good kicking - I'm sure it's the only language they understand (probably being Polish or something).
I've seen and heard them. They are Salford boneheads with just enough grey matter to pull a bin to a lorry, attach it and take it off but not quite enough grey matter to return the bin to a non-obstructive position.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have more of a problem with negotiating the footpath after the bin men have been. However they have a job to do and presumably under time pressures and normally seem a fairly jovial bunch. (And I love the fact that I can get past on the bike when cars have to wait behind them.)

Canrider

Guru
50 cars, eh?

Let's assume you live in a 20mph zone. A stream of 50 cars literally bumper-to-bumper (each touching the one in front) would take about 17 seconds to pass by if the stream were moving at the full 20 mph. Leaving just a half-car-length between each would increase that to 25 seconds*. A full car-length takes us over 30 seconds.

And of course that's assuming the traffic was a continuous flow immediately following you down your street.

Now, how long do you reckon it took you to exit the vehicle and move the bin?

My advice to you would be to sell the Audi and use the profits to finance a move to a street that isn't the biggest rat-run in the UK.

*But back to about 17 seconds if you live in a 30mph zone.

Norm

[QUOTE 1694924, member: 45"]50 cars queued up while you were moving a bin?

You need to get out on your bike more.[/quote]
Was it because BFF had to get his dressing gown on to run round the neighbourhood before he could put his bin away? ;)

Top Bottom