Birthday Bike - Pashley? Gazelle? Something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
With 6 months to go to my 40th I am being asked what I want and want to do etc...

Now I'm not into parties or celebrations so I am looking at getting a new bike. I want something that I can ride and enjoy for years to come.

I like the Pashley Sovereign Roadster, Pashley Briton, Gazelle Tour Populair I also like the Gazelle City Go, as it very much looks like a modern version of the others.

What other options are there? What's the Pashley owning experience like?

Hub Gears (ideally 5 to 8)
Hub Brakes (disk at a push)
Upright riding position

Budget up to £800 ideally but up to £1000 for the right bike.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
old-fashioned hub drum-brakes are the ideal, zero-maintenance, weather-proof brakes. I suspect the Gazelles might be a little better designed than the Pashley offerings, in that they're actually sold as working bikes rather than a retro fashion item.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
old-fashioned hub drum-brakes are the ideal, zero-maintenance, weather-proof brakes. I suspect the Gazelles might be a little better designed than the Pashley offerings, in that they're actually sold as working bikes rather than a retro fashion item.

I kind of thought the fashion status was more of an current accident / trend rather than the plan.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Gazelle. I've had one for about fifteen years and its still pretty good.
Or Workcycles worth a look via Flyingdutchman. They're a touch more robust and have less plastic parts, which seems the only downfall of the Gazelle.

Good morning,

Have you looked at the weight of most of those you mention?

I am not a weight weenie or anything like it and still ride a steel framed bike a lot, but these bikes seem to replicate the weight as well as the style of the originals, 18.5kg - 23kg.

This is a serious compromise in terms of weight for style, that's fine if that's what you want, or fine if you are buying a really cheap bike. But if you are looking at them and thinking they are modern lightweight interpretations then you may be disappointed.

To put this into context it is pretty close to the weight of a modern bike at the same price and an extra stone, 14lbs.

It all comes down to what you want to do with it, group riding is probably out, unless you are really, really fit or can find a like minded equipment group. Pleasure/practical use riding by yourself would be fine if you are happy with the compromises but why spend more for less?

As you might guess from the above, I don't "get" this type of bike. :smile:

Bye

Ian

alicat

Legendary Member
Batavus is another make to check out but they don't seem to be exporting to the UK post Brexit.

I love my Giant Nexus 3 bike drum brake bike now upgraded to a 7-speed with dynamo lighting, a full chaincase and a dutch lock etc. About once a year I pump the tyres up and every few years I add grease to the brakes and service the hub gear and that's about it. 15 years old and going strong. And talking of strong it is heavy so I use it for pottering about in town. It's not made any more and if/when I fancy a new one I'd like to try a Rohloff bike.

Happy searching.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Gazelle. I've had one for about fifteen years and its still pretty good.
Or Workcycles worth a look via Flyingdutchman. They're a touch more robust and have less plastic parts, which seems the only downfall of the Gazelle.

Which Gazelle do you have? I had noticed things like the chain guard on the Gazelle are plastic. Workcycles look to be out of my price range unfortunatly.

Good morning,

Have you looked at the weight of most of those you mention?

I am not a weight weenie or anything like it and still ride a steel framed bike a lot, but these bikes seem to replicate the weight as well as the style of the originals, 18.5kg - 23kg.

This is a serious compromise in terms of weight for style, that's fine if that's what you want, or fine if you are buying a really cheap bike. But if you are looking at them and thinking they are modern lightweight interpretations then you may be disappointed.

To put this into context it is pretty close to the weight of a modern bike at the same price and an extra stone, 14lbs.

It all comes down to what you want to do with it, group riding is probably out, unless you are really, really fit or can find a like minded equipment group. Pleasure/practical use riding by yourself would be fine if you are happy with the compromises but why spend more for less?

As you might guess from the above, I don't "get" this type of bike. :smile:

Bye

Ian

Thanks Ian, valid points, but I am not worried about the weight. If I wanted it to be 1 stone lighter I could loose one of the few excess ones I have then all my bikes would be lighter ;-)

I have a aluminium framed road bike which is my lightweight bike and if I wanted to go on a sporty ride or group ride that is what I would take. I also currently have a Aluminium framed hybrid with a heavy suspension fork and plenty of addons on it which weighs in around 18kg plus I often have my 3 year old on it. Finally my 3rd bike is a 1974 Raleigh Wayfarer which probably gives me a similar riding experience to ones I am looking at.

The idea would be for it to be used running around town, chilled out afternoon rides and riding up to the office if I need to go there (only 1.5 miles away).

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Batavus is another make to check out but they don't seem to be exporting to the UK post Brexit.

I love my Giant Nexus 3 bike drum brake bike now upgraded to a 7-speed with dynamo lighting, a full chaincase and a dutch lock etc. About once a year I pump the tyres up and every few years I add grease to the brakes and service the hub gear and that's about it. 15 years old and going strong. And talking of strong it is heavy so I use it for pottering about in town. It's not made any more and if/when I fancy a new one I'd like to try a Rohloff bike.

Happy searching.

Batavus have a few nice bikes, but I had noticed the UK supplier has stopped selling them.

Light Blue in Cambridge sell something almost perfect, but no Hub Brakes which seems like an oversight on such a practical bike.

https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Urban/5LB9PG521K/Parkside-5spd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Which Gazelle do you have? I had noticed things like the chain guard on the Gazelle are plastic. Workcycles look to be out of my price range unfortunatly.

Mine is the Furore from 2007. Used it nearly every weekend to do the shopping, a round trip of about 15 miles. Bike was expensive purchase but has only cost me a pair of tyres, a rear light and a few drops of chain oil In 13 years. The chain guard is strong plastic, but the lugs wear over time and it rattles a bit without a zip tie or two. Easy to replace if I needed. Generic parts and spares are freely available and well priced.
Seems they’ve dropped a number of steel bikes from their catalogue in favour of aluminium. Like the weight of mine but I’m on flat land.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Which Gazelle do you have? I had noticed things like the chain guard on the Gazelle are plastic. Workcycles look to be out of my price range unfortunately.

You originally mentioned you were looking at the tour populair. That model actually doesn't have a plastic chain guard: it's fabric, albeit with a plastic coating, and fastens at the bottom with hooks and a wire. I got one about 10 years ago. Great bike for pottering about town, but i wouldn't want to ride it any distance.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Mine is the Furore from 2007. Used it nearly every weekend to do the shopping, a round trip of about 15 miles. Bike was expensive purchase but has only cost me a pair of tyres, a rear light and a few drops of chain oil In 13 years. The chain guard is strong plastic, but the lugs wear over time and it rattles a bit without a zip tie or two. Easy to replace if I needed. Generic parts and spares are freely available and well priced.
Seems they’ve dropped a number of steel bikes from their catalogue in favour of aluminium. Like the weight of mine but I’m on flat land.

That is the kind of experience I am looking for, something I can ride for the next 40 years. Its not that flat where I live but it is not the Alps.

You originally mentioned you were looking at the tour populair. That model actually doesn't have a plastic chain guard: it's fabric, albeit with a plastic coating, and fastens at the bottom with hooks and a wire. I got one about 10 years ago. Great bike for pottering about town, but i wouldn't want to ride it any distance.

Is that due to it not being comfortable or just not particularly fast?

I did notice that Flying Dutchman have a 'pre-loved section' so maybe they are affordable if you are willing to go secondhand...

I will keep an eye on that, I am not afraid of second hand, in fact I normally prefer it.

How about something less travelled, as it were?

https://www.skeppshult.se/sv/cyklarna/herr/

No UK importer though, afaik :sad:

Those are some stunning bikes, I love the Style, 7-VXL, its a shame there is no-one selling them here.

Top Bottom