BKool Smart Air turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I wouldnt expect the Kickr to be too inaccurate. There is achap just posted his Kickr Core is just a few Watts different from his Quarq PM.

Tommy, Bob was baiting me last year about Kickrs over reading power:boxing: , so I calibrated my Kickr and did a comparison with Stages. I think it was when I was beating Bob up hills and he was looking for an excuse :tongue:

Baiting? Moi? Never!
;)

Andy, TBF older Kickrs especially on old firmware did over report. Do the newer ones on recent firmware? Don’t know. There are certainly reports of high (and low) readings remedied by a factory spin down. Yours must be due one? :tongue:

CXRAndy

Guru
Baiting? Moi? Never!
;)

Andy, TBF older Kickrs especially on old firmware did over report. Do the newer ones on recent firmware? Don’t know. There are certainly reports of high (and low) readings remedied by a factory spin down. Yours must be due one? :tongue:

I need ro get some new batteries for Stages. Ill then test it. Just going by seat of pants feel. My HR is about right for Watts Im currently producing. Boxers has Same kickr and Garmin pedals

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
TBF if you readings are within 10 watts of each other you're within the margin of error for most devices measuring power. My bkool to vectors varied between 10-40watts depending on the ride, uphill (bigger difference), down (little difference), flat or rolling (somewhere in the middle). With the kickr it's more like 0-10wattts and harder to generate in most cases.

I went with the Wahoo in the end due to the climb and what that offers me, for little more than a neo (which I would have got but for the weight limit being too low for me when I moved away from the classic/pro trainer).

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
This has strayed from opinions on the Bkool Air to a Kickr vs Neo.

Therefore. ......anybody who has ridden both (not read about them), which offers the best ride feel? By that I'd don't mean simulates cobbles etc but just the general feeling of riding along and accelerating up hills etc. Both accurate enough for me and more interested in the best feel (if they can be split).

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive ridden both, they are closely matched in feel. Id currently go for a Neo V1. That is because my new silent Kickr has had a few problems. The V1 Neo is proven and niggles have been sorted.

CXRAndy

Guru
Gplama has a review of the Air put up.

I'll let you watch it and form your own opinions

From 10.30 onwards he clearly explains exactly what those who have tried a Bkool pro or Air. There is a 2-3 secs lag in resistance, which on a rolling terrain becomes flat due to latency in reaction resistance. Similarly for sprinting, rider can develop high rpms before resistance kicks in producing a huge power leap.

Not fully Zwift compatible

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Glad I didn't bother risking it and went with my Neo2.
You will love it!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
This has strayed from opinions on the Bkool Air to a Kickr vs Neo.

Therefore. ......anybody who has ridden both (not read about them), which offers the best ride feel? By that I'd don't mean simulates cobbles etc but just the general feeling of riding along and accelerating up hills etc. Both accurate enough for me and more interested in the best feel (if they can be split).
I went from a Bkool Pro, to a Kickr V1 to what I have now which is a NEO2

Had no problems with the Bkool Pro .... well, no technical problems anyway. It did over read watts slightly (:whistle:) - okay, quite a bit. But as a unit was solid and worked fine if all you wanted to do was ride and get fitter.

Went to a 2nd hand Kickr V1 and had problems with overheating when climbing. No idea if they fixed that problem with later units, but with the V1, anything over a 1 hour climb at 100% and you're gonna have issues! On the flatter, rolling courses, it seemed to work fine.

The NEO2 I have now is working fine on flat and hills (I'm riding some monster climbs currently on BRVR and no issues at all). This is my second unit though as the first one failed after about 6 weeks. Tacx were less than helpful, but thankfully I bought it from Halfords and they changed it no quibble.

If I wasn't bothered about accurate power, or had a power meter on the bike, then staying with the Pro would have been a safe bet for me. I do kick myself sometimes for not just investing in some new pedals and sticking with the Pro. But, hey ho, nope point crying over spilt milk, and you can't take the money with you :laugh: I wouldn't touch a Kickr again but this is a personal thing due to my own experiences. I'd buy a NEO2 again, although I may just go with a NEO1 as it is cheaper and I don't think I get much extra from the v2.

JuhaL

Guru
When i saw that GPLama's review my first thought was that is incomplete product. Rocking system is bit of pathetic IMO, it's more like semi rocking. It swing you left and right but you need to help to return it back to center. Some people might like how it looks but i think it looks like grandfather of direct drive trainers, the first direct drive trainer from 70's or 80's. Not even foldable legs. BKool is always been a bit of original for their products, different solutions.

Top Bottom