Black cricket dilemma

Keep as pets or set them free?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Give them to your mate & let them fulfil their purpose in life
:ohmy:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is your dog vegetarian?
If not, you are already aiding and abetting the killing of living creatures.
Or is it something that eats it's food alive that you find icky?
Yes,but if I didn't feed him meat produce i'd be aiding and abetting HIS demise. I don't like touching his tinned food! The dried mixer containing animal produce I don't mind,but that gruesome 'meat loaf' stinks to high heaven and that's before eating it not just after!xx(

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I did listen to a podcast where a young guy rented out tanks of crickets to people for the ambient singing for mental health improvement. I’ve had them for my daughter’s lizard. They are a pain and escape and they smell. They also bite the lizard at night. Kept me awake but luckily she breeds other species of insects for him.

They aren’t native so don’t release them. Either feed the lizard or put them in the freezer for a humane end. In the wild, they will die naturally at the end of their cycle anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought they'd only live for a few days,but they can live for a year according to this.

"A cricket can typically live from three to 12 months. This varies from species to species. However, the three life stages of a cricket may encompass more than one year, with most of the time spent as an unhatched egg that remains dormant during the winter."

Top Bottom