Bloody DIYers and power gardners!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Debian

Debian

User3143 said:
Eh? one hundred square miles is twice the size of Bristol.

It's an area 10 x 10 miles. A microlight tooling around "sightseeing" easily destroys any peace and quiet over that sort of area.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Rhythm Thief said:
I love the way people interpret "live and let live" to mean "everyone should stop doing everything that affects me in any way". So someone's using a lawnmower three or four houses up the road. Live with it.

Why?

There are six evenings and a Saturday when no-one minds very much about such things. Is it then too much to ask that one day should be relatively noise pollution free?

Debian said:
Why?

There are six evenings and a Saturday when no-one minds very much about such things. Is it then too much to ask that one day should be relatively noise pollution free?

I think so, yes. I spent yesterday knocking the old kingpins out of my car with a large hammer, occasionally using an angle grinder. I couldn't have done it on Saturday since I was practising with my band, and through the week I was doing other (equally noisy) jobs: more car stuff, breaking up concrete with a sledgehammer, and so forth. It all needs doing, and why I should have to sit indoors twiddling my thumbs all day on a Sunday just because some bloke four doors down wants me to I don't know.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Rhythm Thief said:
I think so, yes. I spent yesterday knocking the old kingpins out of my car with a large hammer, occasionally using an angle grinder. I couldn't have done it on Saturday since I was practising with my band, and through the week I was doing other (equally noisy) jobs: more car stuff, breaking up concrete with a sledgehammer, and so forth. It all needs doing, and why I should have to sit indoors twiddling my thumbs all day on a Sunday just because some bloke four doors down wants me to I don't know.

Because people have choices and a little consideration for others wouldn't go amiss.

You chose to practice with your band on Saturday so you had the choice and you then chose to create noise pollution on the Sunday; it's not as though you were forced to do the noisy stuff then.

Some people interpret "live and let live" to mean "I can do what I like when I like and to hell with other people's needs".

Debian said:
Because people have choices and a little consideration for others wouldn't go amiss.

You chose to practice with your band on Saturday so you had the choice and you then chose to create noise pollution on the Sunday; it's not as though you were forced to do the noisy stuff then.

Some people interpret "live and let live" to mean "I can do what I like when I like and to hell with other people's needs".

Well, not really. There are five of us in this band, I can't just arrange practices to suit myself. And besides, it's a pretty noisy band: it'd have just been a different sort of noise pollution.:smile:
I'm doing a lot of noisy stuff at the moment: I hired a jackhammer the other week to dig out two 2' holes through bedrock for gateposts. I used it all of Saturday and all of Sunday, and only just got each hole finished. I couldn't have done that during the week, not without spending three times as much to hire the tool. And even if I had, there are plenty of other noisy jobs that need doing, more than enough to fill seven days a week.
It's not about consideration for others, just about not being so uptight just because your neighbour thinks "ooh, it's a lovely day, I think I'll mow the lawn / trim the hedge / take the microlight for a spin". People round here were doing all those things yesterday after I'd finished making my noise and I scarcely noticed it. I can't help feeling you'd have to be looking for things to get annoyed about to be wound up enough to demand that everyone sits in their garden whispering to each other and doing bugger - all every Sunday.
What are your views on church bells?

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Whenever I'm in the garden enjoying the sunshine, cold drink to hand, book over my face so people can't see I've got my eyes shut, I really enjoy hearing other people work.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I overheard my neighbour talking about trimming her bush! :smile:

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Rhythm Thief said:
Well, not really. There are five of us in this band, I can't just arrange practices to suit myself. And besides, it's a pretty noisy band: it'd have just been a different sort of noise pollution.:smile:
I'm doing a lot of noisy stuff at the moment: I hired a jackhammer the other week to dig out two 2' holes through bedrock for gateposts. I used it all of Saturday and all of Sunday, and only just got each hole finished. I couldn't have done that during the week, not without spending three times as much to hire the tool. And even if I had, there are plenty of other noisy jobs that need doing, more than enough to fill seven days a week.
It's not about consideration for others, just about not being so uptight just because your neighbour thinks "ooh, it's a lovely day, I think I'll mow the lawn / trim the hedge / take the microlight for a spin". People round here were doing all those things yesterday after I'd finished making my noise and I scarcely noticed it. I can't help feeling you'd have to be looking for things to get annoyed about to be wound up enough to demand that everyone sits in their garden whispering to each other and doing bugger - all every Sunday.
What are your views on church bells?

How about "ooh, it's a lovely day, the neighbours will probably want to relax in their gardens so perhaps I won't get the mower out till later this evening"? as a reasonable and considerate alternative. Maybe at least keep 10 am 'til 5 pm on Sundays relatively quiet.

Apart from which, if it was the odd occasion then I wouldn't mind but around my area it seems to be all day Sunday every Sunday when the weather's nice. There are two neighbours in particular who always seem to be doing something involving very noisy power tools (things like angle grinders and slab cutters) on and off through most of most Sundays. It's never during the late Autumn / Winter months either, only when the weather's nice.

Also, there's noise and there's noise. I can easily live with, and blank out most "natural" noises like hand sawing, hammering, push-along mowering but it's the constant high-volume constant pitch "artificial" noises that are bad and that includes most garden and power tools.

I really don't think it's too much to say that there are six days a week when you can, more or less, do what you want and then to allow those that do like and appreciate peace and quiet to have one day of it

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Globalti said:
Ever been in a middle-eastern town just before sunrise when the first call to prayer starts?

Yes, and that's part of the accepted and acceptable local customs. Just like relatively quiet Sundays used to be in this country until not so many years ago.

adscrim

Veteran
If all your neighbours are making this noise on a Sunday maybe you should look for relaxation at a different time of the week.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Save up all your old inner tubes, the ones that are so patched you'll not even take them as a spare any more.....

Test to destruction, one after another.

Count how many are needed before the Local Constabulary's Armed Response unit are called in.

Top Bottom