Bloody DIYers and power gardners!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I don't understand the need for powered lawnmowers - unless you have some genuine physical weakness, then a rotary mower is great: they cut more beautifully and are very efficient. I have an acre, which is mostly grass (at present). People here seemed very dubious when I said I was going to use a rotary mower (most people pay someone to go around on a sit-down mini-tractor thing) - but I cut half of it (more than we intend to keep as lawn) in about 3 hours on Saturday. I am pretty sure my dad used to spend more that doing his 1/6 of an acre of lawn...

BigSteev

Debian said:
Take time off work and do these things in the week. Cut your lawn on a weekday evening, or at least on a Saturday.

Leave Sunday alone for those who would just like to relax and chill out!

Why don't you take time off in the week to relax and chill out. The weekend's the only time most of us get to do do such things. Do you honestly think that, given the choice we'd choose DIY and gardening over sitting on our arses with a beer?

Besides, peace and quiet is shoot anyway. I hate having to visit relatives up North where nothing ever happens and everything is closed after about 4.30 in the afternoon.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
What a load of waffle, taking a day off in the week to cut the grass! That's what weekends are for, pottering round with a lawn mower/power tools. Live and let live, if you want peace and quiet while sitting in the garden buy some ear plugs!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Debian said:
Some very sad and selfish attitudes on display is all I have left to say on the subject.
Surely you're just displaying the same though by wanting them to be quiet on *your* day of relaxation, no? Why should people have to take time off work to mow their lawn, just because you want peace and quiet at the weekend? If you took a Wednesday off then you could relax all you want, and it'd be your choice to take the holiday rather than someone being "forced" to take one for your benefit.

GrasB

Veteran
Debian said:
Here we go again.

As soon as any nice weather comes along then out come all the Sunday DIY and gardening brigade! I try and spend a bit of time relaxing in the garden and all I can hear is the banshee wailing of slab cutters and chainsaws, the irritating buzzing of electric mowers and strimmers allied with the continuous staccato accompaniment of hammering and sawing, etc! :smile:

Take time off work and do these things in the week. Cut your lawn on a weekday evening, or at least on a Saturday.

Leave Sunday alone for those who would just like to relax and chill out!
Maybe I've been brought up in a different time but for me Sunday wouldn't be Sunday without the background hum of a mower going.

I only have cows as neigbours so am very fortunate to not have all that.

I find a nice old style petrol lawnmower nose quite nice but the high pitched buzz of crappy electirc motors or high revving engines is a pain.

I have never quite understood the need to preen the wild into conformaty. Fallen leaves are nice to look at- why on earth do people get a leaf blower to blow them away somewhere?

zacklaws

Guru
I work shifts and it does not matter what my days off are, whether its a weekend or weekday, there's always some one, hammering and banging, using power tools etc, telephone ringing or salesmen banging on the door when your trying to sleep, the only time when it goes quiet is when you get up to go to work on an evening.

That's why I like to make a noise at inconsiderate moments, like on a weekend, when everyone is lounging around having barbecues, I always have that scaffolding pipe that I need to hammer flat with my lump hammer.

My neighbours a constant hammerer during the week building things for the garden, there's never no respite during the week, its from crack of dawn till tea time and he has really p****ed everyone off close by, that's why one Sunday afternoon last year when he managed to keep me awake everyday for weeks on end when ever I was working nights I went ballistic when I heard him say to his family in the garden *Isn't it nice and peaceful sat here". I made such a racket with my scaffold pipe that I drove him indoors.

I always know what time I come home early hours of the morning as I bang the door at least 4 times as hard as I can just to wake him up, I'm usually to drunk to know what time it was, usually about 3 or 4, but he always tells me he heard me come in and at what time, satisfaction.

Today I bought a gallon of petrol for my rotivator, so I plan on making as much noise as I can. Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth.

Plax

Guru
I have no problems with gardening and general DIY noise. What I really hate is people playing loud music in their gardrens. I effing hate music, I've an irrational hatred due to my current neighbours. So when I have to listen to it coming from outside as well until 10-11pm it winds me the eff up. Give me lawn mowers and power tools any day of the week, just not other peoples incessant music at all hours.

sheddy

Legendary Member
But why does EVERY job have to be done with a power tool on a Sunday ?
I would happily smack the inventor of the strimmer, whats wrong with the odd bit of long grass ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A mate of mine had a neighbour who used to come back from the pub every Friday and Saturday night and start playing loud music at midnight. A friendly word with him didn't work so my mate got hold of a piece of 4-by-2, held it against the wall and smacked hell out of it with a lump hammer until the guy turned the music off! The problem would recur after the next night out at the pub though but after a few weekends worth of wall smashing, the message finally got though...

Some new people moved in to my street a while back. They started DIY at noon and continued throughout the day. Fair enough. It was starting to get irritating hearing drilling and hammering at 21:00. By 22:00 it was really annoying me. By 23:00, I was fuming. It was still going on at midnight, then 01:00, 02:00. The tossers finally packed up at 04:00. Give and take is okay - total bloody selfishness isn't! ;)

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

sheddy said:
But why does EVERY job have to be done with a power tool on a Sunday ?
I would happily smack the inventor of the strimmer, whats wrong with the odd bit of long grass ?

I reiterate that this is my point. There are six other days in the week, especially for lawn mowing and strimming. I do mine of an earlyish evening in the week after work. There's no reason why anyone HAS to mow the lawn on a Sunday.

I agree that sometimes building work has to be done over a weekend but not every weekend like my two neighbours. Gardening with power tools is another matter entirely.

Chrisc

Guru
Germany has strict noise pollution laws. Dunno
how enforced they are tho.

No noise allowed as follows:

All day on Sunday and German holidays
8:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday (September-April)
9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday (May-August)
No lawn mowing between 7:00-9:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.

Top Bottom