Bloody DIYers and power gardners!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
Debian said:
That's one evening a week or a fortnight, for half the year, at around 6pm for about half an hour. A bit different to constant noise all day Sunday every Sunday.

But how would you co-ordinate which evening of the week everyone in the street did their gardening? And if it normally takes all day sunday then surely there would need to be multiple mid week evenings if not all of them.

tyred

Legendary Member
What a lot of intolerant people.

Sunday, for many, is the traditional day to catch up with the gardening, servicing the car, or whatever other DIY jobs you haven't had the chance to do all week as you've been too busy working and doing other things. For people like myself, who take an interest in this type of thing, this is what I like to do to relax and unwind. I would die of boredom if I was to just lounge around for an entire Sunday.

Debian said:
What you seem to be saying is that anyone who does not fit in with your expectation of a right to cause as much noise as you want to on a Sunday should be tolerant towards you.

Not really - in fact, not at all: it would be more accurate to say that someone mowing the lawn or clipping their hedge (and we have neither hedge nor lawn in our garden) a few doors up the road is hardly a huge problem. And it certainly doesn't stop me enjoying a beer in my garden. And I think I'd sooner live in a society where we tolerated people having the freedom to choose to spend Sunday doing noisy stuff in their gardens than a society where we had to write rules to proscribe it, like the Germans apparently do.

Adscrim makes the point perfectly earlier in the thread: the time when you think everyone should do their noisy garden stuff is when a lot of people are trying to get kids off to sleep. Now, I know you only make half an hour's worth of racket once every six years (or whatever it was), but if everyone took your advice on board, the whole neighbourhood would be using leaf blowers and hedge trimmers and we'd be surrounded by bleary - eyed children in no time at all.

Sunday's a pretty good day - in fact, for many people the only day - to do stuff in the garden, and sometimes this involves noise. I know you think this characterises me as someone who'd sooner disturb my neighbours than eat my dinner, but there we go. It seems a lot more sensible than expecting everyone to make their noise at a time that suits you (and you alone).

philipbh said:
Likewise with the slabs - bolster chisel / hammer combo in the good old days - now an electric disc cutter (with no bag for the dust) is what we reach for

I started digging my gatepost holes with a breaker bar and elbow grease: I managed to get about eight inches down before hitting bedrock. I'd have happily forsaken the use of the jackhammer I had to hire, but I'm afraid I'd have had to ask you to come and get through the remaining two feet of bedrock.:cold:

The other side - 2 kids who can reinact any sporting contest between the pair of them, as long as it involves the trampoline in the garden and a seemingly endless supply of balls of various shapes and sizes coming over the fence in our direction, all the while being serenaded by their lazy dog barking lazily at the scene before him

Happy Days!

See, I think that's rather nice. The kids are outside having fun; it's better than them bing stuck inside on an X Box.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

tyred said:
What a lot of intolerant people.

Sunday, for many, is the traditional day to catch up with the gardening, servicing the car, or whatever other DIY jobs you haven't had the chance to do all week as you've been too busy working and doing other things. For people like myself, who take an interest in this type of thing, this is what I like to do to relax and unwind. I would die of boredom if I was to just lounge around for an entire Sunday.

Yes, and nothing wrong with that in principle. As philipbh pointed out a few posts ago is that the problem is mainly caused by our increasing need to grab a noisy power tool to do whatever task. Hand tools cause nowhere near the level of disturbance that power tools do. And generally, servicing the car does not involve much noise. So sweep your patio, don't pressure wash it. Use a hand saw not a band or circular saw, use a hammer and chisel to cut your slabs, not a disc cutter, etc. If you must do it on a Sunday then cut your grass mid morning or in the evening and not during the middle part of the day.

How on earth do the Germans manage I wonder when all power tool use is banned on Sundays? Most of Germany seems to be in much better nick than the UK so they seem to be able to manage their building, DIY, car servicing OK by doing it all on the other six days a week, or on a Sunday without power tools.

Mark_Robson

You know I'm bloody sick of the shops being busy on a weekend. Why can't people do their shopping on an evening so that I can have a leisurely stroll around M&S on a Saturday without having to fight my way through the crowds of weekend shoppers.
Another example of the Victor Meldrew mentality. :cold:

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
I started digging my gatepost holes with a breaker bar and elbow grease: I managed to get about eight inches down before hitting bedrock. I'd have happily forsaken the use of the jackhammer I had to hire, but I'm afraid I'd have had to ask you to come and get through the remaining two feet of bedrock.:cold:

I was actually up your way a few weeks back - you should have said something!

Needs must I suppose - I do own a few power tools and am guilty of using them on a Sunday

Rhythm Thief said:
See, I think that's rather nice. The kids are outside having fun; it's better than them bing stuck inside on an X Box.

Yep healthy lads the pair of them - and polite too when they ask for their balls back

I am the epitome of tolerance, of course :biggrin:

Bman

Guru
I have a neighbour who for some reason always has wood that needs cutting. He always uses a very loud power tool of some description to do it.

Whenever the weather is nice enough to have the windows open, its nice enough for him to continue his wood cutting.

It does get a bit frustrating, but at least he stops when it gets dark.

redddraggon

Blondie
I can't see why neighbours making loads of noise on a Sunday with nice weather should really be an issue?

You should be on your bike all day anyway.

tyred

Legendary Member
Debian said:
And generally, servicing the car does not involve much noise.

Okay, I'll just nip out to tune the carbs on the AC Cobra. I'll have to test then by revving the nuts of it :cold:

Talking of Germany being quiet - you have to watch out because there is no ban on Leiderhosen slapping.
It used to drive me up the Berlin wall - day and nacht! :cold:

Lederhosen385_403463a.jpg

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

redddraggon said:
You should be on your bike all day anyway.

I do try to be, especially when the weather's nice. Trouble is the rest of the family expect me to do other things around the house as well :wacko:

Top Bottom