Bloody DIYers and power gardners!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Plax said:
I have no problems with gardening and general DIY noise. What I really hate is people playing loud music in their gardrens. I effing hate music, I've an irrational hatred due to my current neighbours. So when I have to listen to it coming from outside as well until 10-11pm it winds me the eff up. Give me lawn mowers and power tools any day of the week, just not other peoples incessant music at all hours.

My neighbour thinks she can sing. She's out there belting out painful renditions of everything you can imagine as soon as the sun comes out. Good grief.

nosherduke996

Drill a hole in the lawnmower exhaust, that will piss the neighbours off even Moore

One of our neighbours spends about 3 hours a week cleaning inside and out of his car! Has he nothing better to do? No, he doesn't seem to work much and always has a decent car, in fact I was thinking of buying one of his old ones, an estate to put the bikes in but felt I'd be under so much pressure to keep it washed that I didn't!!!!

One guy behind me was using some sort of pressure washer on his very twee flagged garden. God I can't stand twee people! What a racket. Then another one had some weird radio station on with all that manufactured pop rubbish on. Not a Pink Floyd, Jean Michelle Jarre etc within earshot!!!!!!!

I sympathise with someone who works shifts on previous page! I used to work 12 hour shifts and it was just at that time that EVERYONE in the close with houses backing on or side on to me had new conservatories built!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have a shredder. Once a year I go mad and prune everything back on a Saturday and the Sunday is spent shredding a garden full of branches and stuff into 2 or 3 bags. If I didn't shred it would take 4 or 5 trips to the dump, shredded I can do it in one.

Debian said:
Some very sad and selfish attitudes on display is all I have left to say on the subject.

Well, here's some news: you don't actually have an automatic right for everything to be exactly as you want it all the time. I work nights - I'm off to bed in a minute - and I don't expect the whole world to stop just because I want to get some kip. Why not simply accept that not everyone lives as you do and try and be more tolerant? After all, by expecting everyone else to stop doing their DIY so you can do whatever it is you do that requires total silence across a whole neighbourhood, you're being just as selfish as those you seem to have a problem with.

Debian said:
I reiterate that this is my point. There are six other days in the week, especially for lawn mowing and strimming. I do mine of an earlyish evening in the week after work. There's no reason why anyone HAS to mow the lawn on a Sunday.

Doubtless somewhere there's another forum with someone bemoaning the fact that that's just when he's trying to get a bit of peace and quiet ... don't you see that what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone?

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Rhythm Thief said:
Well, here's some news: you don't actually have an automatic right for everything to be exactly as you want it all the time. I work nights - I'm off to bed in a minute - and I don't expect the whole world to stop just because I want to get some kip. Why not simply accept that not everyone lives as you do and try and be more tolerant? After all, by expecting everyone else to stop doing their DIY so you can do whatever it is you do that requires total silence across a whole neighbourhood, you're being just as selfish as those you seem to have a problem with.

That's a very ironic statement.

I don't expect an automatic right to anything unlike those who expect to have an automatic right to cause whatever disturbance they like on what was, until quite recently a day of peace and relaxation. And to me that's the crux of the matter, traditionally Sundays have always been seen as a day not to work but to relax and spend time with family and friends. If I worked unusual shifts, which I have done, I too wouldn't expect the whole world to stop to allow me to sleep because I would rightly consider that it's me who is out of step with the norm.

What you seem to be saying is that anyone who does not fit in with your expectation of a right to cause as much noise as you want to on a Sunday should be tolerant towards you. Well, for an alternative viewpoint how about those who expect a traditionally quiet Sunday to be able expect others to be tolerant of that point of view? I can't choose not to hear your noise or choose not to have the clouds of slab-cutter dust that you create drift over my garden but you can choose not to do those things in the first place, you are the one with freedom of choice not me, do you not see that?

I'm not expecting anything as of right, except perhaps for others to be sympathetic of my point of view and to try, where possible, to do noisy dusty work on any other day but Sunday. Unlike some of you seem to think, I'm not a control freak who wants to dictate to others (although I do like the German noise laws), I'm just asking for a bit of consideration.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

adscrim said:
That'll be around the time I'm trying to get me kids to sleep. Thanks for that!

That's one evening a week or a fortnight, for half the year, at around 6pm for about half an hour. A bit different to constant noise all day Sunday every Sunday.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
What this debate has also highlighted (as well as the need for some neighbourly tolerance) is our general increase in the reliance upon power tools to get the job done.

Once you might have taken a "yard broom" and a hose pipe to clean your patio / drive - now a Pressure Washer is the order of the day

Likewise with the slabs - bolster chisel / hammer combo in the good old days - now an electric disc cutter (with no bag for the dust) is what we reach for

Sundays are rarely peaceful 'round my way - one side I have a neighbour whose lawn efforts would shame the greenkeepers at Augusta, with endless mowing and scaryfying

The other side - 2 kids who can reinact any sporting contest between the pair of them, as long as it involves the trampoline in the garden and a seemingly endless supply of balls of various shapes and sizes coming over the fence in our direction, all the while being serenaded by their lazy dog barking lazily at the scene before him

Happy Days!

Mark_Robson

ROFL, this thread is cracking me up :biggrin:
Debian if everyone was a selfish as you we would need to change school times, have a new a new bedtime for the kids and probably need to re-evaluate daylight saving. I'm joking BTW :cold:

joking aside though, weekends are the time to do the jobs that you can't do during the week because of work. Most people accept and live with this.

I'm a shift worker who works a 12 hour shift pattern that includes weekends so I'm afraid that I really don't have much sympathy with you as I regularly get woken during the day but accept that the world doesn't revolve around me. My advice would be to buy an ipod and use it to drown out any annoying background noise or move to a remote Scottish Island where you will only have the sheep to contend with.

Top Bottom