Bloody dog bit my ankle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

Sounds like a crocodoodle to me
Crocoddoodles probably only attack swimmers, boaters and fishermen.

Sorry Accy but I'm struggling to sympathise with you here. You don't think there could be a correlation between having kicked the dog in the head a few days ago and it biting you yesterday do you?:dry:

For what it's worth I got bitten a few weeks ago for the first time ever on a ride as mentioned here: link

I suppose I'm too big a softy when it comes to dogs as I didn't feel the need to lash out at him and the owner showed me the broken collar so I know it was just one of those things.

I don't get why people hate the fact that Accy wanted to cave the dog's head in. If another human came up to you and punched you, you would punch him back. A dog's bite is their way of punching someone. Everyone has the right to defend themselves, including in the form of kicking a dog that tried to bite you. I would hit a dog if one tried to attack me.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Everyone has the right to defend themselves, including in the form of kicking a dog that tried to bite you.

This is what i meant when i said "so i unclipped and managed to kind of stomp on it's head but with only enough pressure to push it away rather than crack its skull(unfortunately)". As i've said in an earlier post,i wasn't really after cracking its skull it was just a figure of speech. What else could i use to defend myself apart from my foot/shoe? It's attached to the strongest bit of my body and it's also protected by my shoe which has hard nylon cleats and metal clips. No way was i going to stick my hand out and try to push it away! I think some posters think we should just roll over and let a dog do what it wants. Just as long as the dog doesn't get hurt in the attack process then that's all that matters to them.

This is what happened to some unfortunate woman who couldn't defend herself against a dog attack. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sa-Anderson-65-attacked-Staffie-type-dog.html

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't get why people hate the fact that Accy wanted to cave the dog's head in. If another human came up to you and punched you, you would punch him back. A dog's bite is their way of punching someone. Everyone has the right to defend themselves, including in the form of kicking a dog that tried to bite you. I would hit a dog if one tried to attack me.
The way the original post is worded, Accy encountered the dog a few days previously to the incident and lashed out at it first. So now there is a dog that thinks cyclists are aggressive creatures that need to be bitten.

I'll agree with others that if the owners know the dog is prone to chasing cyclists then it should have been on a lead. They were irresponsible.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I've put several posts on here about the selfishness and denial of many dog owners. "He won't bite". Etc.
But I had a sister who was scared of dogs. She was 5 and on her way to the shop (1963 so roads not as busy as today). She was chased into road and under a bus and died at the scene. Dog owner never found.
I only found out a couple of years ago that my uncle was about 100 yards away waiting for bus going in opposite direction and saw everything.
Granddaughters are terrified of dogs, previous experience with other grand parents alsation that was kept in house and never walked. If dogs are around when we are with them I'm terrified of possible consequences.
It can be hard to admit you have a problem controlling your dog. We have a rescue dog that is completely unpredictable, she is never off the lead if there is a chance of meeting another dog or other people. We only let her off the lead when we are out in the fields. By contrast our other dog is so reliable he never goes on the lead. Unfortunately some dog owners are no so honest about the nature of their dogs.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The way the original post is worded, Accy encountered the dog a few days previously to the incident and lashed out at it first. So now there is a dog that thinks cyclists are aggressive creatures that need to be bitten.

That's not how it reads to me:

Last Tuesday it flew at me and started to run and stalk me as i was climbing at about 9mph. It circled my bike growling and stuff

Seems Accy was, reasonably, apprehensive of suffering an injury so fended the dog off with his foot.

glasgowcyclist

I still think he was wrong to "kind of stomp on it's head"

That's fine but it's not right to characterise Accy as the aggressor in the situation.

glasgowcyclist

The dog wasnt going after Accy as such. Its the chase (hunt) instinct in them thats triggered with fast moving objects (runners and cyclists). Racing greyhounds and police dogs are trained to exploit and control this instinct. So if Accy encounters this particular dog again he either needs to slow right down or speed right up :smile:

This hunt instinct is to bring down prey, right?
Does the victim (or the dog) know the chase is going to end without injury?

I wouldn't slow right down and be an easy target, nor would I speed right up. I'm not going to risk fast riding, in panic & looking backwards, in a park.
I'll dismount and keep my bike between me and the dog, allowing a reasonable time for the owner to get it under control. After that time, the dog's getting walloped.

Crankarm

Guru
This is what i meant when i said "so i unclipped and managed to kind of stomp on it's head but with only enough pressure to push it away rather than crack its skull(unfortunately)". As i've said in an earlier post,i wasn't really after cracking its skull it was just a figure of speech. What else could i use to defend myself apart from my foot/shoe? It's attached to the strongest bit of my body and it's also protected by my shoe which has hard nylon cleats and metal clips. No way was i going to stick my hand out and try to push it away! I think some posters think we should just roll over and let a dog do what it wants. Just as long as the dog doesn't get hurt in the attack process then that's all that matters to them.

This is what happened to some unfortunate woman who couldn't defend herself against a dog attack. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sa-Anderson-65-attacked-Staffie-type-dog.html

Accy you have my full sympathy. Take pics of your injuries. Record the event in your diary, time, description of dog, breed if known, owner and make and reg of vehicle. IME the only way to deal with dogs that are out of control is to get mad with the owners and I mean real mad. I don't see why people without dogs should put up with being chased, mutts jumping up scratching and biting, as well as trying to avoid stepping in all the crap their hounds deposit all over the ground that owners cba to pick up or hang from trees in small bags. It is disgusting. Dog owners are up there with smokers and drivers who drive and dial. Obviously it is the owner who has failed to train their mutt properly. If it had happened to me I would have confronted the owner on the first occasion. If it happened again I would I have booted the dog into outer space or D-locked it and then taken on the owner. It is against the law to allow your dog to roam off a lead out of control biting people. Period. Btw I am not anti dog I am just anti the morons who own dogs who fail to take their responsibilities seriously. I did think of getting a dog years ago but decided not to as I could not make the full commitment that is required in owning a dog.

Top Bottom