Bloody dog bit my ankle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I find that most dog owners have a blinkered mentality to the effect their animals have on others. Next door have 2 yappy little things that yap all day. She does know as they started the second she closed the door going to work the other day.
On yesterday's (2nd day) tour of Britain I saw a bloke had quite a large Labrador type dog at the side of the road. He did have it on lead but it was standing in the road when the first bikes went past. Why would you want to take your dog to watch a bike race. It could be he was caught up whilst walking dog but, take more control!

Yes,why would you take a dog off a lead to an event where it can wander and become a danger to others?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cExWSKF3yZs

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If your dog bites someone prepare to suffer the legal consequences.

That should be the case,but the woman who was quite happy to let her dog bite me on Sunday,then disappear before i could go back and challenge her hasn't/won't face legal consequences. I suspect one of the owners and the dog will be up the park today when i intend to do about 30 laps. There's no point in challenging them now as they'll just deny it at best and with me thinking they're anti cyclist i'll probably get a mouthful of abuse. I have a good idea now of the vehicle they arrive in. I suppose i could contact the police but it'd be my word against theirs,unless there was a witness to any further attack.
Some would say just find somewhere else to cycle,but i've been doing laps around that park for about 15 years. I think that some seem to have a problem with me and other cyclists doing laps of the park,but it's supposed to be a shared facility for the pleasure and leisure of the folk of the town,not just somewhere where dogs are taken for a crap and to run riot!

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Scars. I’ve got scars. No one is ever interested. Made my day. I love a good war story.

The teaspoon is a bit weird.

The teaspoon is a trick I use when I buy motorbikes online. Anyone can cut and paste pictures of dog bites. But not many people can cut and paste dog bites with teaspoons attached to them. Its to make sure the item actally exists and they have it.

Weird but effective.

Alan O

Über Member
On yesterday's (2nd day) tour of Britain I saw a bloke had quite a large Labrador type dog at the side of the road. He did have it on lead but it was standing in the road when the first bikes went past. Why would you want to take your dog to watch a bike race.
"No dear, I'm not going to sit and watch the cycling on telly all day. Yes dear, I am going to walk the dog."

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
To verify the dog bites. I would like to see a photo of them with a teaspoon alongside them. :smile:
Isn't it supposed to be a 20 pence piece?:rolleyes: Seriously though,if i could send in pic's i wouldn't be off the site as i have sooo many things to show! Even more serious,the bite has i wouldn't say put me off cycling,but it's made me more aware if that was possible/needed of how dogs are so unpredictable. This bollox we hear of 'he's only being friendly' and 'well if you'd stopped to just let him sniff you instead of running/cycling away he wouldn't have bitten you' blah blah just isn't right! As i've stated i have a dog,i hate animal cruelty and would probably get more upset over animals suffering than humans suffering,but i have a right to be safe from bloody dogs that not only can bite you but in the case of cyclists can either knock you off or cause you to fall off causing serious injury!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've put several posts on here about the selfishness and denial of many dog owners. "He won't bite". Etc.
But I had a sister who was scared of dogs. She was 5 and on her way to the shop (1963 so roads not as busy as today). She was chased into road and under a bus and died at the scene. Dog owner never found.
I only found out a couple of years ago that my uncle was about 100 yards away waiting for bus going in opposite direction and saw everything.
Granddaughters are terrified of dogs, previous experience with other grand parents alsation that was kept in house and never walked. If dogs are around when we are with them I'm terrified of possible consequences.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Could it have been over excited? Or was it a snappy yappy thing
Probably both,but i wasn't in the mood for stopping,asking the owner its name and stroking it as if to say 'i know he's after biting my leg and maybe knocking me off but hey he's sooo cute'. I just don't want any interaction with people who i see as anti cyclist. I'd rather they kept them and their dogs to themselves like i do when i'm out cycling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have also been nipped on the thigh by a dog; I was plodding up a hill one bright snowy day on the mountain bike when an out of control collie ran alongside me yapping and jumping up. I ignored it until it nipped me and I saw red, threw the bike down and turned on the dog bellowing with anger. Last I saw of it, the dog was scarpering as fast as possible, rear legs almost overtaking front, looking at me over its shoulder with an "Oh sheeeit" cartoon expression. The owner was a young woman wearing a long coat that was dragging in the snow who wailed: "Did my dog bite you?"

I stopped and examined my thigh while giving her a few choice words of advice about controlling her stupid dog, silly woman.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidphilips

Veteran
Know its your word against theres but i would still report it as you have been injured, consider taking a camera with you in case of another attack then even if the owners have been made aware by the police its been reported and they see you taking pictures if there out of control dog runs after you again they may want to take control before theres legal action.

Theres a nasty dog that has went for me a few times when cycling and ran up the main road after me (about 25 miles from my home) actually feel sorry for it because it has never bite me but runs up the main road and sooner or later will have an accident.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
I am a dog lover,despite what happened yesterday. I suppose the dog was doing it's natural instinctive thing of chasing moving objects. What maddens me is that those two owners who've let it charge at me didn't even show the slightest bit of concern for me. The woman was worse than the man,in the way she didn't even try to call it back like the man did. I suppose they're cyclist haters. There's a lot of that type about!
Here is the key if a dog is chasing you it is best to stop until it loses interest.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Deffo report it Accy. It's a criminal offence to be in charge of a dog that causes injury, and if a few more people were prosecuted then some of the lazy ones might control their mutts a bit better. Presumably your injury will corroborate your account.
I bet if i belted the dog with a tree branch or similar in an effort to defend myself the dog the owners would be in the local paper looking glum with the headlines along the lines of 'Crazed Cyclist Attacks Very Friendly Dog for No Reason'. The article would probably say stuff like 'Barney is a very friendly lovable dog who just likes running up to people to slobber all over them. I don't know why but this cyclist stopped in the road,picked up a fallen branch and hit poor Barney for no apparent reason'! We urge other dog owners to be on the lookout for cyclists who think they own the road and have no patience with friendly dogs like Barney'!

Top Bottom