Bloody dog bit my ankle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been chased by dogs a few times, and I always stop and face them and it's always worked - I never try to outrun them.
I know what you mean but stopping kind of means the dog and its owner have achieved their objective of disrupting my ride. When i'm doing my laps i try to stay clipped in for the duration,which is usually about 1 hr 40 mins to 2 hrs 10, depending on how many i do.

simongt

Guru
As has been said, most dogs have a wired in chase mentality. Sadly, from my experience, too many dog owners don't train their charges with the basics; return when called etc., because it usually means - and yes, I owned dogs for forty years - many hours of hard repetitive training to achieve the result. And too many dog owners just can't be bothered with it. What does irritate me is when a dog comes running up to you and jumps up and down at you with it's mucky paws, often slobbering as well, the owners reaction is usually 'Ahh, it's only playing - !'
So you're going to pay to get my coat cleaned - ? Yeah right - !

berty bassett

Legendary Member
been reading this with interest and was quite content just to read and not comment , but i think some have been a bit harsh , as i see it , the biker had done nothing wrong and was bitten by a dog out of control , if a little kid was running or biking and was attacked by the dog where would they stand then ? if this is the standard reaction of the dog then it may happen daily who knows
i was bitten by a dog that came up behind and got my leg and if i was quick enough i would have retaliated
at the very least he should have reported it to the police then there is a record of it just in case it is a regular thing
as for stopping and putting bike between you and dog - you shouldn't have to , you should be able to do your thing without effecting others the same as they should

Drago

Legendary Member
as for stopping and putting bike between you and dog - you shouldn't have to , you should be able to do your thing without effecting others the same as they should

You're quite right, society at large should behave and we should be able to walk without fear of dog attack, walk down dark alleys at night without fear, not worry about theft, etc etc, but it is, very sadly, pie in the sky. Since the dawn of history society has had its fair share of arrissoles, and it always will. Wishing it so will never change that. So while it would be nice not to worry about all those things, prudent people will continue to worry, because it's better to be unscathed than right, every single time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I know what you mean but stopping kind of means the dog and its owner have achieved their objective of disrupting my ride. When i'm doing my laps i try to stay clipped in for the duration,which is usually about 1 hr 40 mins to 2 hrs 10, depending on how many i do.
I am not sure that the dog has an objective. It's a dog and will chase things. It's what they do.
stopping for a few seconds might be a plan. Befriend the dog and it might not bike you. Could it have been over excited? Or was it a snappy yappy thing

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I find that most dog owners have a blinkered mentality to the effect their animals have on others. Next door have 2 yappy little things that yap all day. She does know as they started the second she closed the door going to work the other day.
On yesterday's (2nd day) tour of Britain I saw a bloke had quite a large Labrador type dog at the side of the road. He did have it on lead but it was standing in the road when the first bikes went past. Why would you want to take your dog to watch a bike race. It could be he was caught up whilst walking dog but, take more control!

Gary E

Veteran
Befriending the dog would be as bad as getting bitten for me lol :wacko:
I'm quite allergic to dogs and as such I've never had the slightest affinity for them. After all it's difficult to be fond of something that at best makes you itch and at worst (after prolonged contact) affects your breathing!!! (If I spend any time in a house with a dog in it I start to sound like Darth Vader).

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have been bitten by quite a few dogs. Mainly in Africa. Came close in Europe. Stopping does not halt an attack. One of the worst maulings I got was from two Dobermans when I tried this. If it wasn’t for a pedestrian I would have come off worse. Keeping a stick, even a cricket bat (when coming home from school) is one tactic commonly employed in Africa. In the same way as pretending to hurl a stone (often you don’t even have to have anything in your hand) works well. With a stick or bat, brandishing it is enough to make the dog change it’s mind. In all my years I never made contact. Didn’t need to.

Over here though dogs should have some degree of training and we all know it is law to have the dog on a lead in public. We know we (and other dog owners) don’t do that, but we should if we can’t control the animal. If your dog bites someone prepare to suffer the legal consequences.

Drago

Legendary Member
I find that most dog owners have a blinkered mentality to the effect their animals have on others. Next door have 2 yappy little things that yap all day. She does know as they started the second she closed the door going to work the other day.
On yesterday's (2nd day) tour of Britain I saw a bloke had quite a large Labrador type dog at the side of the road. He did have it on lead but it was standing in the road when the first bikes went past. Why would you want to take your dog to watch a bike race. It could be he was caught up whilst walking dog but, take more control!

I took my lab to watch the ladies tour. Why shouldn't I? I enjoyed it, he enjoyed, and he was under complete control. He was better behaved than some of the humans present.

Top Bottom