Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Winslade

Regular
I have used the toolbox to update firmware and am sure there is somewhere on it to show how many times the battery had been charged

https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/digital-tools/toolbox-software/

I have now looked at the Toolbox software described in the Fazua manual, then after a few hitches, got the drive unit connected up;

Download software from Fazua
Purchase Torx size 10 (to remove cover to USB connection on drive unit)
Obtain USB cable ( fortunately my camera cable had correct mini USB connector)
Connect drive unit to computer

After bringing up the software and plugging in the drive unit I can now see the total Km cycled and the number of battery cycles. Unfortunately the battery cycle figure was 0. Looking at the link from Scaleyback above, his link defines a battery cycle as a charging from 0 to 100%, which I don't believe I have ever done. I guess 20% up to 100% is the closest.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have used the toolbox to update firmware and am sure there is somewhere on it to show how many times the battery had been charged

https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/digital-tools/toolbox-software/
The Fazua phone app, 'Rider', shows you how many times the battery has been charged (along with other system data.) It connects to the system via Bluetooth, so there's no need to buy cables and download software. I think it can also check your software version and download/install any updates.

Last edited:

Mandauk40

I bought the womens boardman hye 8.9E from cycle rebublic, part of the halfords group. Ive never spent this much money on a bike before. Im a complete amateur and my previous bike was a cheap front wheel hub ebike.
I assumed the more money i spent, the better the bike.
I had my first proper 20 mile ride out today, on the way home was an awful clunking noise coming from the bottom bracket, after reading the comments on here i discovered the problem. All loose torx bolts.
Ive tightened them up but 1 of the 4 snapped off.
Either i fix this myself or have cycle republic pick it up as my nearest shop is 70 miles away.
I also have trouble removing the downtube battery as when i turn the key to open, it doesnt always unlatch itself.

Attachments

• 20200105_113603.jpg
    20200105_113603.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 147

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Very disappointing.

On the plus side, the Fazua motor fitted to , or in your case thrown at, the bike is reckoned to be good quality.

This looks to be another case of dreadful or non-existent pre-delivery inspection by Halfords, sorry, Cycle Republic.

Seems a leopard can change its name, but not its spots.

CXRAndy

Guru
Shame a bolt has snapped. I was going to suggest you remove one bolt in sequence, apply thread lock to prevent repeated loose bolts

Smudge

Veteran
The ebike manufacturers really need to raise their game on the quality and the reliability of their products. People are paying a high price for what is essentially just a bicycle with a battery and an electric motor. One would have thought they could manufacturer something as simple as this, without any of the problematic issues people are experiencing.
There also needs to be more standardisation of batteries and none of this refusing to sell parts to the customer, like Bosch are fond of.

CXRAndy

Guru
The ebike manufacturers really need to raise their game on the quality and the reliability of their products. People are paying a high price for what is essentially just a bicycle with a battery and an electric motor. One would have thought they could manufacturer something as simple as this, without any of the problematic issues people are experiencing.
There also needs to be more standardisation of batteries and none of this refusing to sell parts to the customer, like Bosch are fond of.

I was looking at Stromer. Lovely looking (to me) S Peds. But being ££££. About the same as a 150mph motorcycle:laugh:

That's why I built my wife an ebike for peanuts-relatively

Ellie454

I bought the womens boardman hye 8.9E from cycle rebublic, part of the halfords group. Ive never spent this much money on a bike before. Im a complete amateur and my previous bike was a cheap front wheel hub ebike.
I assumed the more money i spent, the better the bike.
I had my first proper 20 mile ride out today, on the way home was an awful clunking noise coming from the bottom bracket, after reading the comments on here i discovered the problem. All loose torx bolts.
Ive tightened them up but 1 of the 4 snapped off.
Either i fix this myself or have cycle republic pick it up as my nearest shop is 70 miles away.
I also have trouble removing the downtube battery as when i turn the key to open, it doesnt always unlatch itself.
I've had the same bike since September. I really enjoy riding it, but I often struggle to release the battery. I've just taken it into Halfords for them to take a look, as I couldn't get the darn thing off at all after today's ride. Interested to see it's not just me.....
Have also had the battery drop out, just the once, but that's once too many.

goo_mason

I sometimes find the battery release button a bit stiff/stubborn, but so far it's worked OK. Hopefully it'll stay that way - but the release is just a mechanism attached by a few screws inside the oversized tube, so hopefully it's a simple part to swap out and replace.

Might take a closer look at mine next time I have the bike on the workstand for a clean, and see if there are any points on the release that might benefit from a spot of lube.

OP
OP
TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
Does the bike have mudguard fitting connections?
Weighing in at just 4.6kg for the whole system, the Fazua Evation system keeps the Boardman ADV 8.9E Mens Adventure Electric Bike lightweight and practical to live with. The battery and motor can also be removed and replaced with a lightweight cover (sold separately), meaning you can ride your e-bike just like a normal bike with barely any weight penalty and no extra drivetrain resistance if you decide you don’t need any assistance. Pannier rack and mudguard ready, this bike is also a brilliant commuting option.

goo_mason

It does. I fitted a set of black 'SKS Commuter Mudguards with Mud Flaps 700 x 45mm' to mine, with only minimal bodging. There were some missing bolts (I used spare SPD_SL cleat bolts, which were the same size), and I had to use two cable ties (one to create a loop on the guard and the second to hook through that loop) to pull the end of the guard tight against the seat tube, as there was no way to attach it using a bolt.

They work really well, and don't rattle about (unlike the guards on my Giant Defy road bike, which rattle horrendously, despite being bolted on properly).

richtea

Hello all, I just joined, and am looking after a womens Boardman HYB 8.9E (slightly off-topic to the original poster).
My thoughts after 3 weeks ownership / fettleship:

Overall:
- it's a game changer if you've reached the 'I can't be bothered to cycle today' stage
- there are several minor irritations, but nothing that would stop us buying another one.

Pros:
- it works seamlessly, and has transformed our rides. Hills are no problem (my better half spins up on the Boardman, with me battling to keep up on a normal bike)
- the design is 90% there, I'd say. It's very tidy, relatively light, and simple to use.

Cons:
- battery removal could be easier, as mentioned by several owners previously. It's easy after practice, but it probably the least friendly part of the design.
- The battery lock has no positive action, you just turn it fully clockwise with no resistance, click, etc. There's no indicator on frame as to which way is locked/unlocked. Unlocked = fully clockwise
- you have to take the key with you. If you set off without switching the battery on, you'll need the key to unlock and press the (now hidden) start button.
- odd exposed area underneath where the sensor wires enter the bottom bracket. Looks like a cover was thought about, not not supplied/created, since there are clip holes for one.
- app has poor support for different phones*. The failure seemed to be linked with Android 9. Android 7 & 8 devices worked fine. I'd be interested to know if that fits other people's findings.

- Boardman-specific cons:
- the screw at the bottom of the seat tube (for mudguard attachment) has the Fazua cables directly behind it. Screwing a long bolt (longer than the brazing) in there will damage the cables at quite a cost, so beware.
- the screw holes on the rear are blocked with paint (someone else mentioned this)

Front mudguard fitting is tricky (well, for me) There are no eyelets at the bottom of the forks. There is a screw hole on the inside of each fork about 1/3rd up, and that's where you have to attach the mudguard stay. This requires two things:
- a spacer to keep the stay away from the fork / disk brake caliper
- and a bit of stressing of the stay, since you're no longer fitting the stays in a near-perfect radius to the wheel. For that reason you also have to cut a lot of excess off the bottom stay.

Also, a couple of comments on points raised in the thread:
> People are paying a high price for what is essentially just a bicycle with a battery and an electric motor. One would have thought they could manufacturer something as simple as this, without any of the problematic issues people are experiencing.

It's a simple system to understand and use. It's not a simple system to create (mechanical complexity, battery tech, motor tech, sensors, software, throw in some Bluetooth for fun, and finally design to the smallest size). I can understand the reason why they currently cost a fair chunk - although I'd agree the pricing is probably loaded 50% on having recover all those upfront design costs.

> The Fazua phone app, 'Rider', shows you how many times the battery has been charged (along with other system data.) It connects to the system via Bluetooth, so there's no need to buy cables and download software. I think it can also check your software version and download/install any updates.

Updates are only via the PC/Mac/Linux software, not the app. The cable is standard, but two iterations out of date compared to phone cables:
- AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable £3.89

*I'm an app developer, so I tested it with several of our phones. Some worked, some didn't, so I emailed the app developer. Initially, he talked, but then went quiet on me after I gave him all my findings. Shame. So I don't bother using the app.
Many companies consider apps to be an add-on, whilst completely forgetting they're a very direct contact with customers. Fazua obviously think the same. They need to consider it as part and parcel of the e-bike experience, not some afterthought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom