Boardman fork snapped what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
+1 for getting a steel bike, with Reynolds tubing. They're about the only thing that are robust enough for my local roads, apart from MTBs with shock absorbers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. I think the point is being missed that the OP's failure has every indication of being a design fault, not an inherent problem with the material. All materials have their shortcomings, and are susceptible to damage and failure in different ways. To suggest one is inherently more failure prone than another is ridiculous - that is entirely a function of design, construction, and use.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The problem with carbon fibre is in how it fails. Unlike steel, alloy, titanium etc carbon fibre goes without warning and does so catastrophically.

Exactly, the OP's failure occurred at a very low speed in their own back garden, and gave no warning. That could have been horrific if it had happened on a busy road and the rider got thrown into the path of other vehicles.
I've had a frame failure on a steel bike. It gave me plenty of warning and I was able to ride it all the way home in that state without crashing.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The problem with carbon fibre is in how it fails.
Unlike steel, alloy, titanium etc carbon fibre goes without warning and does so catastrophically.
Not always - the one carbon handlebar failure I had gave me plenty of warning. I noticed more flex in the bars, rode for a further 400 miles (I was away from home) and there was no catastrophe. Yes, it can fail literally with a bang, but my steel failure many years ago when my fork snapped was very sudden and resulted in missing teeth.

Oops ! Short memory !
I have just rediscovered this thread and have read all the comments . Even mine saying I wouldn't touch a Boredman with a bargepole !
Well it just so happens I bought a cheap frame at the weekend . I didn't know that it had a carbon fork . I have been searching online for fork failure and this thread came up . I have noticed a hairline split forming around where the carbon blade must join the aluminium fork crown . I just assumed that it was just a scratch in the paintwork until I discovered that it was carbon . I didn't pay much for the frame and components so I'm not too worried it's just a shame as it rode well . The bike doesn't look as though it has had a great deal of use and is in pretty good condition apart from a few chips and some corrosion underneath the paint on the fork crown .
Looks like I'll be in the market for some new forks !

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not always - the one carbon handlebar failure I had gave me plenty of warning. I noticed more flex in the bars, rode for a further 400 miles (I was away from home) and there was no catastrophe. Yes, it can fail literally with a bang, but my steel failure many years ago when my fork snapped was very sudden and resulted in missing teeth.

Had the same with a customers bike, he phoned me said steering felt odd brought it round a couple of days later, when i checked it out the the fork had broke just below the headset, he was riding like that for a few days.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Oops ! Short memory !
I have just rediscovered this thread and have read all the comments . Even mine saying I wouldn't touch a Boredman with a bargepole !
Well it just so happens I bought a cheap frame at the weekend . I didn't know that it had a carbon fork . I have been searching online for fork failure and this thread came up . I have noticed a hairline split forming around where the carbon blade must join the aluminium fork crown . I just assumed that it was just a scratch in the paintwork until I discovered that it was carbon . I didn't pay much for the frame and components so I'm not too worried it's just a shame as it rode well . The bike doesn't look as though it has had a great deal of use and is in pretty good condition apart from a few chips and some corrosion underneath the paint on the fork crown .
Looks like I'll be in the market for some new forks !

Buy some cheap steel forks off e bay. I've done this with an aluminium frame. I bought some new Saracen forks for about £25. Heavy but you don't notice on the move. Second-hand lightweight 531 should be cheap enough.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Buy some cheap steel forks off e bay. I've done this with an aluminium frame. I bought some new Saracen forks for about £25. Heavy but you don't notice on the move. Second-hand lightweight 531 should be cheap enough.

Worth making sure that those steel forks also have a steel frame hanging off the back of them too ;)

I did some research on the net and found loads of broken carbon forks from different manufacturers . I found one site which might explain what has happened to mine . Galvanic action ! The reaction between the carbon fibres and the aluminium . It might explain why there seems to be a lot of corrosion on the fork crown . It could be that the corrosion could be working its way underneath the bond between the two materials .

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I did some research on the net and found loads of broken carbon forks from different manufacturers . I found one site which might explain what has happened to mine . Galvanic action ! The reaction between the carbon fibres and the aluminium . It might explain why there seems to be a lot of corrosion on the fork crown . It could be that the corrosion could be working its way underneath the bond between the two materials .

Indeed; galvanic corrosion is one since the carbon fibres are conductive. Another is simple stress raisers resulting from damage in high-stress areas such as the steerer tube (if it's all CFRP construction) from poorly-specced or over-tightened stems or steerer-tube bungs, or scoring from careless disassembly / reassembly.

In use I love my CFRP Boardman and I know there must be many tens of thousands of placcy bikes being ridden without issue in the UK. Equally it seems the cycling industry hides a murky underbelly of hushed-up, potentially fatal failures of CFRP parts - with fork assys being a favourite as they're so highly stressed (and the outcome of failure is potentially so severe).

I've heard many stories of such failures (some pertaining specifically to Boardman bikes) and I'll now never buy anything other than steel. I've not ridden my Boardman for any significant amount of time recently after getting cold feet about it's safety / acquiring a lovely steel gravel bike.. As much as I like it, know I really need to punt it on. Shame as I really like riding it, however it certainly gives zero peace of mind compared to a steel equivalent.

If you're not already familiar, check out Luescher Teknik on youtube - guy knows his onions and his content is certainly an eye-opener!

Last edited:
Top Bottom