Boardman fork snapped what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Mine is a tapered steerer @Pale Rider

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Job should be a good 'un.

A bike shop would charge labour to fit it.

Sounds as if your shop is high end, so you could probably find one that would do it for less.

It doesn't have mudguard mounts and the brake mounts are different. Both things that can be overcome but I need to check out what I would need to get.

Their labour costs are decent, but I'll probably do as much of it as I can myself and get the shop to finish anything I can't (cutting steerer) and check it over.

I was wondering if you should contact your local Trading Standards as you said that your LBS was shocked to see a failure like that on a pair of forks.
If they were to inspect them and agree with the LBS their voice may carry a bit more weight than yours in getting the companies to take notice.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I was wondering if you should contact your local Trading Standards as you said that your LBS was shocked to see a failure like that on a pair of forks.
If they were to inspect them and agree with the LBS their voice may carry a bit more weight than yours in getting the companies to take notice.

I hadn't thought of that. Can I still do that even though I bought the bike second hand?

Interesting to see on those links how many of the failures mentioned are Boardman forks.

I'm not sure what "interest" trading standards would have about this. According to https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office it's "to complain about illegal sales activity." As the only sales activity the OP was involved i was a private sale that I am sure isn't covered, I think it's outside their purview.

NB: I am not a lawyer and have zero expertise in this field. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not sure what "interest" trading standards would have about this. According to https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office it's "to complain about illegal sales activity." As the only sales activity the OP was involved i was a private sale that I am sure isn't covered, I think it's outside their purview.

NB: I am not a lawyer and have zero expertise in this field. :okay:
Product recalls
Product recalls are made by traders about products that have problems which could affect the safety of the consumer. The product should not be used and should be returned to the trader.

Traders wishing to display their recall/safety notices on this page should email it to publications@tsi.org.uk.

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/consumers/product-recalls
ts.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
^Totally different model, I dont see how that will help OP really.
OP you will have to make sure the steerer diameter of the fork you are buying is the same as the old fork, they come in different sizes so some may not fit your bike. Check with who you are buying it off otherwize you'll be paying to return it.
It's not the first time the same bike manufacturer has had the same problem with the forks, from the same supplier.*

Edited to add this...
For supplier read shop/retail outlet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
An update:
I bought replacement forks for the bike online
- First fork came scratched. Returned for replacement
- Replacement fork came with compression bung jammed and unable to remove. I've returned it for refund.

So, I got a Pinnacle Arkose fork from Evans and took it in this morning, they fitted it for £15, job done. :smile: :smile:

I have a working bike! :biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
Good that you have a working bike.

In any case why not contact the original seller of the bike and ask if they will send Boardman an email asking for a replacament fork? Write out a draft email for him to send., along with Boardman email address and attachnignphotos of the damage. He therefore has nothing to do but fire off an email to boardman bikes.

You may end up with getting a replacement set of forks and can sell on your current ones.

Worth a shot in my view

Top Bottom