Boardman Road Sport Specialized build and more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Just been for a test run
20221002_170411.jpg

Still very much a WIP but didn't have to stretch for the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, was able to move my hands around on the handle bars and it felt quite stable and comfortable. And yes, I have corrected the stem angle.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
In an effort to get The 'Falcon less WIP and more bicycle shaped I decided to sort out the rear brake and the derailleurs.
Firstly I found these little beauties...
20221008_174212~2.jpg

So after a trip to the devil in disguise (H*lf*rds) to get a brake and gear cable I set to work.
I changed the ill fitting Truvativ crankset for a Shimano FC-R4550 which fits nicely and installed some flat pedals as well.
Next was the rear brake cable.
20221008_182909~2.jpg

The rear outer cable from the Specialized Tarmac fit perfectly and the inner cable didn't need trimming or replacing.
Unfortunately I was beaten by the sun setting for getting the derailleurs fitted but I have the cables installed down to the bottom bracket so it won't be long before I don't have to 'force the gear' to get moving. I'm really enjoying this bicycle building lark :wahhey:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Got both the derailleurs fitted. The front works, sort of and needs tuning but the back doesn't. Having no idea of what I am doing I am well-aware that I have done something wrong but what? I don't know.....
20221009_164616~2.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
put the bike in big front , small ( fastest ) back the rear derailleur should be about vertical as a start .its hard to say if your chain is too long ? edit ignore the chain too long your in small small , check the video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
its hard to say if your chain is too long ?
If anything it's a little short. Geometry Geeks list the Specialized chain stay at 405mm long and the Boardman at 415mm which would make the original chain I'm still using 20mm short by their figures. I'm sure it's just a schoolboy error. I will watch the obligatory YouTube video.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You have definitely done something wrong (or something is broken)... The rear gear cable should be emerging directly towards where it is anchored, not coming out an angle and rubbing on the edge of its, er, housing.

Top Bottom