Boardman Road Sport Specialized build and more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Now that I've changed the cable, I can show @fossyant big big.
20221015_151727.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's OK, is small small too baggy still, if it is, take a couple of links out.
PS can you send the sunshine this way !

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
I've got the rear derailleur working after changing the cable which had started to fray about an inch (25.4mm) from the stop end in the shifter and had a slight kink which was covered by the rear outer cable. But as I checked the rear derailleur movement and indexed it to engage all 11 gears the front derailleur stopped working now won't change from high gear (small) to low gear (big) but if I manually move the chain over it will go from low to high.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
glad your making progress !
with the FD is there too much slack in the cable ?

as for cable i think the rear cable needs trimming as it looks like its too long and can get caught in the chain ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
glad your making progress !
with the FD is there too much slack in the cable ?

as for cable i think the rear cable needs trimming as it looks like its too long and can get caught in the chain ?
Not sure if there is too much slack in the cable as it worked fine before I replaced the RD cable. Tried pulling any slack out and adjusting the limit screws to no avail. I get the feeling that replacing the cable and checking the height of the FD in relation to the chainrings will bring my schoolboy error to light.
Yes the RD cable could do with a trim. One of the jobs for the repaint at the moment. Just want to get it running for now.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
I’m wincing at that photo, you need to invest in a proper stand
Forgot to say that my current "bench/stand" is a pallet sofa I made.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Yesterday, after trip to Milton Keynes to collect 2 bicycles for my 2 youngest girls I decided to correct all my schoolboy errors on the FD.

20221018_151441.jpg

Having watched the obligatory YouTube videos, I replaced the cable, checked the height and adjusted the limit screw with the chain in high gear (small ring) and then connected the new cable. Unsurprisingly it now works. I'm not entirely happy as the gap between the chain and the guide is almost nothing in low gear (big ring) and with the RD/cassette in the 3 highest gears it rubs slightly. I've tried adjusting the tensioner on the down tube but seems to have not really had an effect. I'm not entirely sure that the chain, chainrings, derailleurs and rear wheel are liking their new home home on an ali frame with an external BB after being on a carbon frame with a 68mm wide BB.

si_c

Guru
That would fit with my findings. I suspected that it was a 2014/15 edition Tarmac.

Nothing wrong with 5800, the changes between it and R7000 which replaced it were very small, mostly around the front derailleur which became slimmer making it easier to use with larger tyres and the inclusion of hydraulic disc brakes in the groupset proper plus some aesthetic changes to justify an upgrade.

It's a very very good groupset.

Might be worth tweaking the FD a bit more so that there is no rubbing on the big ring at the front and the small at the back. Some rubbing when in the big at the front and the big at the back is expected, but keep in mind there are trim positions with the shifters. This means you can do a half click with the left shifter which moves the derailleur inwards a small amount to stop rubbing, it is quite effective and there are two trim positions one for the small ring at the front and one for the large at the front.

Top Bottom