Booking French Campsites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EverRed

Regular
I'm planning to tour in South Western France late May and early June. Do I need to book campsites ahead? I prefer not to have a pre determined schedule but I don't mind booking ahead by a day or two. Also, I would book further ahead for locations I really want to visit (as yet undetermined spots in Dordogne and Pyrenees).

(I originally posted this in the tips for cycling in France thread but got no response. If it results in useful information here perhaps it could be moved.)

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I'm planning to tour in South Western France late May and early June. Do I need to book campsites ahead? I prefer not to have a pre determined schedule but I don't mind booking ahead by a day or two. Also, I would book further ahead for locations I really want to visit (as yet undetermined spots in Dordogne and Pyrenees).

(I originally posted this in the tips for cycling in France thread but got no response. If it results in useful information here perhaps it could be moved.)

I’ve never bothered booking ahead anywhere in Europe and never stopped at a site that couldn’t find room for a lone cyclist. I guess it depends on your appetite for the small risk of having to ride on to the next town. France is particularly well served with both municipal and family run sites so I intend to use the same approach when I ride to Spain next year.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
We are not intending to book in advance during our trip in June. I have not had a problem in late August / early September previously, except for the marked site that was permanently closed.

As said above, a solo tourist would probably always be accommodated. A group? Perhaps less so.

I've read, anecdotally, that some campsites, especially some Munis haven't reopened post Covid, or have been taken over and changed (unis gone private). I know it's certainly a (small) issue in Spain.

A handy tip is to look for the place on Google maps and check for the latest reviews. Anything recent is a good sign of it being open.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Only once have I not been found 'somewhere' on a French campsite to pitch, even in July and August. I've been on the grass in the middle of a 'roundabout' by the entrance gate, on a patch of grass behind the bins and even allowed to share a small caravan pitch at the owner's invitation.

The only exception was the town site at Beaune on Bastille Day holiday. There wasn't anywhere you could physically fit another tent. But the proprietor did offer to have his brother take me in his van to a site a couple of kilometers out of town where he knew there was space. I said I was happy to ride, but I mean . . . how knackered did I look?

RobinS

Veteran
We (almost) have never booked sites in France, and very rarely been turned away. Out of several hundred nights, we contacted two sites in advance because we wanted to stay before they actually opened for the season - both opened specially for us! Once a site was unexpectedly closed, securely locked, so we cycled on a further 15km. Once a site was occupied by a single use group so we cycled further. Once a site was unexpectedly closed, a passer-by phoned the caretaker who showed us a discrete spot to camp, opened the disabled shower/toilet for us, and even turned the hot water system on just for us (but wouldn't take payment as the office was closed)!
As Tim says above, if they are "full" they usually have some small areas for cyclists. The only reservation I would have about this, is the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August sites near seaside resorts, or swimming lakes etc do get very busy.

Sallar55

Veteran
If you are near any of the Compostela routes going across France to Spain campsites have Randonneur sections. Usually an area with no defined pitches as most of the walkers and cyclists just want a place for tent or bivi bag. The bigger luxury campsites are starting to do eco / Randonneur prices now , much cheaper that their standard rates. Suspect that they usually recoup the money in the bar and restaurant.😄

Simon_m

Guru

Hi there, I have been booking campsites just so that i am organised and know that we have somewhere to stay, as a goup of 6. The majority of campsites say there is no need to book, a few said just to message them a few days before. It seems very relaxed and they dont seem to worry that there wont be enough space. We are off the beaten track some of the time and in tourist hotspots at other times.

I would email them to sound them out and see what they say, most are friendly.

OP
OP
E

EverRed

Regular
Thank you everyone, for your replies. The general “no need to reserve ahead” feeling is what I had hoped to hear. I’ll report back with my experiences.

OP
OP
E

EverRed

Regular
I camped in 12 campgrounds a total of 18 days. I was only turned away once (when a thunderstorm was imminent and the campground was, of course, at the bottom of a steep hill). Another time, I tried to book a site for the following day but the system said there were no available pitches. I went a day later and there was a lot of room. I'm fairly certain that the system - I don't remember the name but it is used by several campgrounds - does not allow booking less than 48 hours ahead. The lesson is to call the campground if in doubt.

Other than those two incidents everything went smoothly and easily. I especially liked the municipal campgrounds because they all had great facilities and were cheap (well under 10 euros).

Top Bottom