Boring Bloke Bingo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can get 46mpg on a trip to London.

I'll have a pint of my usual.

I'm not racist, but......

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
This wonderful phrase popped up in another thread and I felt it was too good to lose, even if my English teacher told me to always avoid alliteration.

I fall into a haze when a person says

"You would be better to take the third exit...."

"26tpi unless its Italian..."

"Its a well-known fact that..."

"Great film, it was based on a true story about..."

What sends you into a gray torpor?

(I may have said each of the above and have a distant inkling that I may, on occasion, be a little bit of a BB)

Why did your English teacher tell you to avoid alliteration?

Christ, that meme is ancient. Oolong the rabbit died at the start of 2003, making that meme older than:
1594424330034.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why did your English teacher tell you to avoid alliteration?
Always avoid alliteration... :whistle:

I think it was the nearest she could get to a joke.
Well, I thought it was funny! :okay:

Ooh, I've just had a flashback 50 years to MY English teacher reading out Anthem for Doomed Youth...

Wilfred Owen said:
What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
— Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm worried about putting the right amount of grease on my new QR axles.... during a global pandemic. Is this PTSD?

TBH I'm feeling the anxiety rise now.

When I am asked what I do for a living, my now standard response is "only 5 other people in the world understand what I do and find it interesting, you are unlikely to be a 6th". The trouble is, some get intrigued by this and ask me to elaborate...:wacko:

I have the opposite problem, when people inquire about my occupation i'll often get.

"Oh how lovely / fascinating "

I sometimes have to bite back a "No not always"

The alternative is to pretend to be a 'systems analyst'

cos no one knows what that is..

Not even the systems analysts :rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH I'm feeling the anxiety rise now.

I have the opposite problem, when people inquire about my occupation i'll often get.

"Oh how lovely / fascinating "

I sometimes have to bite back a "No not always"

The alternative is to pretend to be a 'systems analyst'

cos no one knows what that is..

Not even the systems analysts :rolleyes:
Oi! my Dad was a 'Systems Analyst' in his 'career path' that saw him move from an Oik in the RAF to a 'Senior Systems Designer' with a salary in excess of a quarter of a million* before he died (aged 56) in the late 90s. I as his 'Hippy' Son was a disappointment to him but I've had a much more fulfilling life though as a 'wanderer' going from one creative occupation to another in my life.

* after I went to college for 2 years 'full time' in my 30s and qualified as a 'City & Guilds' Cabinet Maker I worked in shopfitting for a few years and got paid @£40,000 a year, he scoffed "I pay more than that in Income Tax"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When I am asked what I do for a living, my now standard response is "only 5 other people in the world understand what I do and find it interesting, you are unlikely to be a 6th". The trouble is, some get intrigued by this and ask me to elaborate...:wacko:

You are Arthur Eddington and I claim my five pounds!

The version I'd heard was a journalist asking Sir Arthur if it was true that he was one of only three people who really understood Relativity after his triumphant return from measuring the orbit of Mercury during an eclipse. "Don't know about that" replies Sir Arthur, and the journalist comments on his modesty. "It's not that, I was just wondering who the third person might be". I gather he was a bit of a comic rather than being arrogant, though he was certainly smart enough to justify a bit of arrogance

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oi! my Dad was a 'Systems Analyst' in his 'career path' that saw him move from an Oik in the RAF to a 'Senior Systems Designer' with a salary in excess of a quarter of a million* before he died (aged 56) in the late 90s. I as his 'Hippy' Son was a disappointment to him but I've had a much more fulfilling life though as a 'wanderer' going from one creative occupation to another in my life.

* after I went to college for 2 years 'full time' in my 30s and qualified as a 'City & Guilds' Cabinet Maker I worked in shopfitting for a few years and got paid @£40,000 a year, he scoffed "I pay more than that in Income Tax"
:rolleyes:

I have a mildly amusing story about a 'systems analyst' I met on a train one time - it involved a hurty knee, and a rolled up trouser leg..

Another time maybe :rolleyes:

I realised some time back though, that both my jobs require endless, and ongoing 'systems analysis'..

But sadly, I'm also ashamed to report, that like you, I don't coin it for the exchequer, in quite the majorly quantifiable way that your dad did..

However, I hope my efforts contribute to overall wellbeing in other ways though :angel:

Top Bottom