Boris Johnson Loses The Plot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5883358.ece

Quite apart from the removal of road use rights from pedestrians, surely it makes no difference if you speed up pedestrians since the Highway Code says that in the event that a pedestrian is on a crossing, and the traffic light is green, you still have to give way? This is just going to increase accidents and lead to antagonism between pedestrians and other road users.

Views?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Can't say I'm surprised - remember Boris won the election pretty much on the back of the pro-car/anti-CC lobby. Heaven forbid suggest that vehicles cause traffic.

Bitter irony now follows - Remember, pedestrians don't pay road tax, so they shouldn't even be on the roads.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No fully fit central London pedestrian takes the blindest bit of notice of the pedestrian green lights as they're already very biassed towards the cars. This will make approximately no difference to most of us - and a very significant amount of difference to the less able.

Way to go, bozzer!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The man is an oaf. And that's putting it politely. He should be shot.

This is all about cutting car journey times on radial routes.

Will1985

Über Member
I've read the article - totally stupid idea, but the Time's suggestion that cars could be moving when peds are still on the crossing is wrong. The flashing amber phase still means give way to any peds still crossing, so moving cars are technically breaking the law (172) unless the changes also reduce the yellow phase!

So much for trying to reduce the number of cars in the capital...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Will1985 said:
The flashing amber phase still means give way to any peds still crossing, so moving cars are technically breaking the law (172) unless the changes also reduce the yellow phase!

Actually, the Highway Code says

"GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear [...and] give way to pedestrians who are crossing"

ooops. Sorry. Bit major on the old font size there :angry:

jonesy

Guru
The whole proposal is based on the ludicrously naive idea that there is lots of hidden spare road capacity available for cars that has until now somehow escaped the notice of generations of traffic engineers... it is truly ridiculous; and completely contradicts Boris's stated policy to support walking. TfL has been spending loads of money reviewing pedestrian provision in the capital and identifying where crossings etc need to be improved; including reducing waiting time at pedestrian crossings. Now another bit of TfL will be going round reversing these improvements, for benefits that few drivers will notice but at a price that will cause very real difficulties for the most vulnerable pedestrians.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
We have these in Singapore, and they work very well, and are useful on big road crossings. If there are only a few seconds left I do stop and wait for the next set cos I don't want to get trapped and have to sprint to get out of the way, and it removes any uncertainty of how long you have to get accross. They could very well be a great help to the elderly too.

I think we should have them for the traffic too like they do in many parts of Asia, it stops people revving their cars unnecessarily and creeping forward thinking they are about to change.

Boris is great, so much better than that miserable bastard Ken!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Errmmm... Zimmers? Have you ever walked in London? Thought not.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
All the time actually, I was born there, have lived there for years, and I still live there when I'm not in Singapore, right on the Marylebone road, which is quite busy. The junction at Baker Street is a difficult one to cross going north to south on the west side of the junction, it could benefit from something like this.

I'm OK, I jaywalk most of the time, quite enjoy it. But there are people who would benefit from this.

Thanks for your condescension though, it's appreciated. Perhaps you could remove the cock from your arse next time?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We all know that cars creep forward as soon as they have the slightest encouragement - and that includes the 'green man' going off, even though the light is still red.

Walking in the city shouldn't be the preserve of the quick, or the young, or even the quick-witted. You should be able to take your time, be old and confused, or not too rapid on your feet.

My preference would be for pedestrians to have right of way on all streets in zones 1 and 2. Which would, by the by, provide a boost for the local economy.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I don't see why private vehicles shouldn't largely be barred from much of the current CC zone, save for disablists and residents

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Let's not forget - this is specifically about reducing trip times for motorists driving in from zones 4, 5 and 6. Zones 1 and 2 bear the burden of the commuter who drives seven to thirty miles to work. Now, these people are muppets. They can take the train.

Oh - and you heard this here first. Johnson is going to claim that he has speeded up traffic. Actually he hasn't. Congestion has pretty much zero'd in Zone 1, because the construction industry traffic (and more besides) has pretty much disappeared. The road from Victoria to HPC was empty on Tuesday - as recently as last November it was rammed all day.

Top Bottom