Born again cyclist seeks new bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucklesspedestrian

Hi there

So, the story is, I am currently 50, used to do a lot of cycling when I was in my teens and 20's (commuting, days out, youth hostelling etc). Then I basically got old and fat, went 7 stone overweight, High blood pressure etc etc. I bought a Raleigh Sport 200 hybrid 13 years ago, rode it approx twice then it sat under plastic sheeting in the garage for the next 13 years making me feel guilty.

After a health scare last Nov, I started getting into shape, bought an exercise bike and over the winter/spring lost 4 stone and got the BP back down to normal. Now, exercise bikes are deadly boring so in May I decided to get the Raleigh out (all it needed was lubing, tyres blowing up, brakes adjusting) and off I went.

I had forgotten just how enjoyable cycling was! I've been doing about 10 miles a night most nights after work and about 50 more over the weekend since early May. I'm getting slightly addicted, stamina is getting better every week, hills and headwinds don't bother me too much and my quads are starting to look like Chris Hoy's. I live in rural Perthshire in Scotland so the back roads around where I live are just spectacular and cycling is of course the best way to appreciate the countryside.

I'm looking for general advice on what to replace the Raleigh with. It's 13 or so years old and whilst it's a nice bike, I'd quite like a new toy! I'm also starting to max out on the gearing on a nice flat road with a slight breeze behind me. I come from an era when you basically went out and bought a "12 speed racer" but I'm aware that times have changed and there seems to be a whole different language out there.

I won't be doing any off road cycling of any description. I quite like the 700x35c hybrid wheels/tyres for the protection against the potholes and broken road surfaces (they've not improved really over the last 13 years have they?) but I suppose I need a road bike of some description, again it's the same use, evenings and weekends, recreational cycling, might persuade a few friends to go youth hostelling again next summer. I'm 6'2'' and still weigh 16 and a half stone and that will drop to around 14 stone by next spring. That's still overweight but better that the 21 stone I was 18 months ago. My point is I'm not too bothered about an ultra-lightweight machine given that realistically I'm never going to ba a 'racing snake'

Any thoughts? I wondered about new or second hand?

Thanks in advance

Steve
ps: Joe Blow floor pumps....best £25 I ever spent!

vickster

Legendary Member
Cyclocross bike :smile: Which one will depend on your budget. Edinburgh Bike Company have a good selection and some good deals

Jaco45er

Not an expert, I have a specialized Secteur, I find comfortable but it was a little pricy at £800.

I just wanted to say great post, inspiring, I do like to read about someone's success :smile:

OP
OP
L

lucklesspedestrian

Thanks for the replies.

I've just checked out Cyclocross bikes (never knew such a category existed!) and yes they seem to tick the boxes, seem to lie somewhere between a hybrid and a racing bike, so robust and comfortable enough for our roads but able to cover distance a lot quicker than my old hybrid?

Only concern is those saddles look a little unforgiving but I suppose that's an after market thing you could buy to suit preferences. The Secteurs look good. £800 seems to be the going rate for a decent machine, still with the money I've been saving on pies, chips and Guinness............

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Only concern is those saddles look a little unforgiving.

On a cyclocross you will have a greater proportion of your weight on your hands and feet, compared to the more upright position of your old hybrid which puts more weight on your backside.

Most riders would use padded shorts, so the cyclocross saddle is designed with that in mind.

A cyclocross bke will almost certainly be a lot quicker than your hybrid.

OP
OP
L

lucklesspedestrian

You won't be able to fit much over 25c maybe 28c on a secteur.

Thanks, I'm never going to go remotely off-road and I'm hoping the carbon front fork will provide some comfort wrist-wise, so I'm hoping I won't need anything like the 35c I've got currently (still on an upward learning curve though!)

fossala

Guru
Thanks, I'm never going to go remotely off-road and I'm hoping the carbon front fork will provide some comfort wrist-wise, so I'm hoping I won't need anything like the 35c I've got currently (still on an upward learning curve though!)
Still, if your roads are anything like what they're like down Cornwall, unless you are racing you would be better with 28c and above.

EDIT: To many people blindly follow what racers have, it's kind of like looking out your window and see everyone driving F1 cars. :rolleyes:

I was about your weight (and age) when I started on an old hybrid and was worried about the narrow tyres on the T3 , I've done about 1500 miles without even a puncture since on the original 23c tyres/tubes.

Last edited:

Kies

I was 15.5 stone when I started on a road bike with 23c tyres. It and I were fine. Now I am 13.5 stone and still ride on 23c tyres in the summer, 28c (hybrid) wet/winter

My point being I wouldn't get too hung up on having wide tyres for roads and cycle paths etc, a road bike can easily handle that sort of riding.

Top Bottom