Bottle Cage Problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Seeking some information about a bottle cage. The bosses on my downtube (underside, on a tourer) are located quite high up towards the front wheel. I need a cage whose bolt holes are towards the top of the cage so I can have clearance for a bottle. The ones I have are all at the bottom of the cage and this makes the whole thing impossible to mount with a bottle. I can barely fit a cage alone without wheel-strike. Any suggestions appreciated. Gez

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Forget about the bosses and get a cage with clips to fix it to the downtube where you want it.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, I have a Topeak cage mount but the cables are in the way to mount anything else around the downtube. The
cages I have all have specific holes and gaps between, I would assume a cage with three holes or a solid and drillable 'spine' would be also suitable but not yet found anything. Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
You could fix the cage you have to a longer strip of alloy and drill to suit.
Thanks for that, yes a possibility but I would rather keep things simple and find a cage that will mount lower on it's own. Do any cages come with multiple mounting options along their length? Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Some cages are slotted which would give you adjustment.
That would be the ideal but not found anything that I could mount. All seem to have specific holes and the only solid backed ones seem to be of the expensive variety and not drillable I imagine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Appears to be some adjustment on this Planet X one.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOPXPC/planet-x-pro-carbon-bottle-cage

midlife

Guru
Generally the slots are there so that any differences in the spacing of the bottle bosses on the frame can be accommodated. I'd get a bottle cage from a band on design and drill holes in it or use the band.

Shaun

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Might just get a band on version and try to avoid the cables, shame to have the mounts and not use them but they are very poorly positioned far to high up the downtube. Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Presumably you've thought about handle bar and seat post/saddle bottle mounting brackets.
Cheers no space on either sections but a compact frame and bad location appears to be the issue. Could mount to pannier rack somehow but really fancied using the mounts on the frame.

Top Bottom