Bourton on the water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,

I'm taking my parents there later. has anyone been there and can recommend somewhere good to eat?

LLB

Rykard said:
Hi,

I'm taking my parents there later. has anyone been there and can recommend somewhere good to eat?

As in restaurants, pubs which serve food or tea houses ?

I'm in Cheltenham so it is only 15 miles from us and I'm up there 3 or 4 times a year.

LLB

If you are coming in from Morton in the Marsh end (also worth a visit), then you will turn off the A429 when signposted on to station road and when you get to a very sharp left hander with some shops in front of you, turn right and this is the main drag through the centre of the village, the pub is the 1st left and over a road bridge across the river and it is facing the river. Parking is a pain i the village though ;)

I was once overnighted there in my lorry. I walked into Bourton centre in the dark (it was winter), got some money out and made a beeline for the pub across the village green in the rain. I was just about to cross the road in front of the pub - literally at the stage of standing on the kerb with one foot ready to step into the road - when I realised it wasn't a wet road at all, but the river.;)xx( But the food was pretty good in the pub. I can't remember the name of it though.

beancounter

Bourton on the Water is a pretty little Cotswold village but there's nothing to it other than tourist shops and places to eat, and to be honest they're all very much the same.

bc

LLB

LLB said:
If you are coming in from Morton in the Marsh end (also worth a visit), then you will turn off the A429 when signposted on to station road and when you get to a very sharp left hander with some shops in front of you, turn right and this is the main drag through the centre of the village, the pub is the 1st left and over a road bridge across the river and it is facing the river. Parking is a pain i the village though ;)

It probably was the Kingsbridge. It is one of the bigger (nicer) pubs in the village.

They play 5 a side football in the river bed in the summer, and there is a ford at the lower end of the village which has caught many car drivers out due to its depth (been through it a few times in my 4x4, but always check first to see how high the river level is)

Usually full of Japanese tourists.

As BC says, not a huge amount to do as all the shops sell similar stuff.
Most people just head for Cheltenham town centre to go shopping if they come down this way, but you can kill a couple of hours wandering around Bourton.

domtyler

Über Member
Surely if you're not too busy Linf you could invite Rykard and his parents round to yours for a slap up meal?

raybo

Guru
On my first bike tour through England, I rode to and stayed in Bourton on the Water. Here is the journal page describing the ride there. It contains several pictures of the village.

Ray

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,

went there and got rained on completely. Totally agree about the tourists. Thought going on a weekday it would be quieter. We were eating a baguette in a small tapas place off the beaten track and about 30 japanese tourists walked by....

Jaded

One of the cake shops there sells cakes of huge proportions. Three Japanese tourists to each Eccles cake!

LLB

domtyler said:
Surely if you're not too busy Linf you could invite Rykard and his parents round to yours for a slap up meal?

We only eat Children in Cheltenham Dom ;)

LLB

Rykard said:
Hi,

went there and got rained on completely. Totally agree about the tourists. Thought going on a weekday it would be quieter. We were eating a baguette in a small tapas place off the beaten track and about 30 japanese tourists walked by....

You could also try Broadway next time or Moreton in the Marsh on market day, similarly touristy, but not quite so manicured, and not so many Japanese.

Top Bottom