boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ricky doesn't profess to be able to kick the whatsits out of a Ninja...... he just boxes rather well, OK got a duffing recently, but is up for more...... quids in as well :smile: kerching :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

fossyant said:
Me thinks Joe is after the publicity....not like our Mr Hatton.....:smile:

I know you jest... but it is unlike Calzaghe to say something like that.

I trust him on this one.

Danny

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
1) If the other fighter was in range to give a low kick of any value, the boxer would KO him
2) The boxer could simply avoid it and laugh. Boxers are apparently quite nimble on their feet; they don't just stand there taking it.
3) The boxer might kick him back

I think the outcome wouldn't necessarily be that clear cut. I used to do martial arts and once trained with some members of the England jujitsu team. I thought I was reasonably adept at dodging attacks until one of them did a spinning kick that was so fast that I didn't even know I had been caught until I was picking myself up off the floor :smile:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Dannyg said:
one of them did a spinning kick that was so fast that I didn't even know I had been caught until I was picking myself up off the floor :smile:

You picked yourself up. Boxers are trained to dance around and avoid this sort of thing, because it is less likely they will get up.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
We've been here before - it's how MMA started, and I'm afraid if there's one thing that's been proven over and over again in the history of these events, it's that fighters from any limited discipline whether it be boxing or karate, always lose to the more versatile and less rule-bound fighters, and especially those trained in Brazilian ju-jitsu, a particularly effective and nasty martial art. It's the groundwork that eventually does it (locks, and choke-holds). Joe Calzaghe is talking shite, I'm afraid.

stevenb

Abitrary said:
Seagall might be a lot heavier than Calzaghe. How about a similar weighted boxer.

Would you bet against even an out of shape Tyson? Thought not.

There are always exceptions in sports. Mike Tyson is a walking rock. I wouldn't bet against him for sure.
:smile:

However.....there are people we don't know who have exceptional abilities to surpass most human endeavours......so we could go on forever making comparisons and coming up with a variety of hypothesis.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Flying_Monkey said:
We've been here before - it's how MMA started, and I'm afraid if there's one thing that's been proven over and over again in the history of these events, it's that fighters from any limited discipline whether it be boxing or karate, always lose to the more versatile and less rule-bound fighters, and especially those trained in Brazilian ju-jitsu, a particularly effective and nasty martial art. It's the groundwork that eventually does it (locks, and choke-holds). Joe Calzaghe is talking shite, I'm afraid.

Ok then. Let's define our parameters. A professional boxer would beat any similar weighted professional martial artist, i.e. someone who does it to support his family, not just for a warm night in the cells.

Barry McGuigan would have knocked seven tonnes out of Bruce Lee for example.

U

User169

Abitrary said:
Ok then. Let's define our parameters. A professional boxer would beat any similar weighted professional martial artist, i.e. someone who does it to support his family, not just for a warm night in the cells.

Barry McGuigan would have knocked seven tonnes out of Bruce Lee for example.

Before thanking Mr Eastwood

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I guess everyone knows I am right up to this point, purely by deft reasoning.

So here comes the cold hard proof.

In CCTV fighting footage on stuff like Crimewatch, also foreign Crimewatch, why do you never see people doing martial arts? It's just punching and slapping.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd go for the Indian Jones method and shoot either of them before they got close enough to think about hitting me.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

byegad said:
I'd go for the Indian Jones method and shoot either of them before they got close enough to think about hitting me.

That's exacly what boxers with a good reach do. That's how it works.

Top Bottom