boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

User76 said:
I reckon the boxer would win. You have to bear in mind that only boxers are trained to take blows, all the others pretty much depend on avoiding blows.

This is pretty much it. This is why Calzaghe laughed pretty much for the first time in his stoic life at such an idea.

stevenb

Abitrary said:
I guess everyone knows I am right up to this point, purely by deft reasoning.

So here comes the cold hard proof.

In CCTV fighting footage on stuff like Crimewatch, also foreign Crimewatch, why do you never see people doing martial arts? It's just punching and slapping.

That is not cold hard proof matey.

You simply cannot cannot cannot compare people on the streets fighting away on Crimewatch UK to a boxer v martial artist.

Most people are scared stiff of fighting......they panic.
You don't see martial artists on crimewatch because martial artists are a very small minority of people and as such are never likely to be on TV...:smile: Most people don't go out and strut their stuff even if they are boxers or martial artists....they'll end up in serious triuble potentially.
Most people use their fists as it is our human inherrent instinct....that is a fact.
Its whether people are trained to use them that determines how they can potentially fight. Then of course you have to have the mindset for it.....you can train for years in martial arts but unless you have a real fight you may never know how to fight for real.....you may panic....its natural.

Going back to your original post it would seem that there is support for both cases. How about researching further and gathering evidence and support from both fields?:biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

stevenb said:
That is not cold hard proof matey.

In the absence of new proof, it is the only proof we have.

stevenb said:
Going back to your original post it would seem that there is support for both cases. How about researching further and gathering evidence and support from both fields?:smile:

I have researched this. I read in the Mirror that Joe Calzaghe can take anyone.

I have never heard anything similar in the press from a martial artist. Probably because they are scared of getting slapped down by a proper boxer.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

stevenb said:
Basically...it's effective fighting that wins....not neccessarily one particular discipline..ie boxing or karate.

A boxer is most likely to win against a karate expert, because it is the most similar discipline.

A Judo expert might actual confuse a proper boxer.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Keith Oates said:
Difficult to tell as I've never seen a boxer and MA expert having a go at each other, however the gut feeling says the MA would win the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gut feelings are wrong because they originate in the gut.

Pure cold hard logic originates in the brain.

stevenb

Abitrary,
Read all of that link...you will see many and varied points.

A boxer is most likely to win against a karate expert, because it is the most similar discipline.

A Judo expert might actual confuse a proper boxer.

Simply not true...

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

stevenb said:
Worth a read?
http://www.karatekorner.com/messageboard/printthread.cfm?Forum=53&Topic=3249

Basically...it's effective fighting that wins....not neccessarily one particular discipline..ie boxing or karate.

Quote from that link:

"How does BJJ do against, say, four attackers? Are you going to take the fight to the ground and go for an armbar or rear naked choke in that situation?"

Any working class boxer who's more worried about paying his mortgage and having a bit of beer money left, would laugh at that.

mikeitup

Veteran
Depends on the individual not the STYLE!

A crap boxer against a good MA guy will get his arse kicked and vice-versa.

I liked the post about boxers take hit's and maists avoid em.
You obviously have never met guys who train in muy Thai, Hung Gar ,Chow Gar and Choy Lay Fut. As far as karate goes Kyukushin is a hard style too.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

mikeitup said:
You obviously have never met guys who train in muy Thai, Hung Gar ,Chow Gar and Choy Lay Fut. As far as karate goes Kyukushin is a hard style too.

Sounds like a lot of fun. It all sounds a bit posy.

Every *single* person who I have ever met in my life who does martial arts has been a bit, aherm, "special".

If I wanted to do chinese arts, I'd do origami or something, but my RSI would probably preclude that.

Every single boxer I've met has been salt of the earth working class straight up.

Also not the sort of people to use a proper skill in anger, but if pressed knock absolute crap out of any martial artist.

stevenb

How many boxers and martial artists do you know?
10?
20?
Does that mean that based on these numbers that everyone else is the same?
I think not...:smile::biggrin:
Most people of non boxing/martial arts are down to earth kind and caring people who'd defend their lives and families as best as they see fit.
It still doesn't solve your dilemma does it? :biggrin:

User76 said:
There is only one way to sort this.:smile:

Do we have any boxers, martial artists etc. I don't mind stepping up for the "scrapper" corner like this. It'll liven up the York Rally no-end:biggrin:

cookiemonster is a Thai boxer, ask him!

My money would be on the martial arts fella, assuming they were of an equal ability in their own sport.
Bruce Lee would have wiped the floor with Muhammed Ali!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Dayvo said:
Bruce Lee would have wiped the floor with Muhammed Ali!

Good to see you back Dayvo.

I know you are joking about Bruce Lee, but Barry McGuigain could have taken him.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Abitrary's on one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....time for a sin bin topic / soapbox........

FFS...... I'll kick fat man boxer over a 100 mile bike ride........... tough.... I won't need no ninja............

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

fossyant said:
Abitrary's on one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....time for a sin bin topic / soapbox........

FFS...... I'll kick fat man boxer over a 100 mile bike ride........... tough.... I won't need no ninja............

I guess I win then.

I am right. Thanks.

Top Bottom