boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Sorry, I've came into this late. Just finished work.

As far as a Thai Boxer vs regular boxer, I believe the Thai Boxer would win. All the boxer would do is duck and weave to avoid any punches, which is a bad move to begin with. If you duck in Thai Boxing to avoid a punch, the Thai Boxer would simply grab you by the back of the neck and knee your face off. Also, a regular boxer would have no idea of how to defend against kicks, especially to the head. A regular boxer has a guard lower than a Thai Boxer, our guards are much higher for this reason, so, he would be an open target and a decent Thai Boxer would spot that immediatly. Also, he would have no defence against knees and elbows.

Barry McGuigan beating Bruce Lee!!!??? Bruce Lee would've eaten McGuigan for breakfast.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Sounds like a lot of fun. It all sounds a bit posy.

Every *single* person who I have ever met in my life who does martial arts has been a bit, aherm, "special".

If I wanted to do chinese arts, I'd do origami or something, but my RSI would probably preclude that.

Every single boxer I've met has been salt of the earth working class straight up.

Also not the sort of people to use a proper skill in anger, but if pressed knock absolute crap out of any martial artist.

I've just noticed this posting and this says to me that you really have no idea what you are talking about. All the Muay Thai boxers that I train with are easily the salt of the earth with no attitude. Anyone who comes to our club with attitude, doesn't really last long. Bear in mind that Muay Thai is not some 'posey' martial art as you put it but has a history stretching back 2500 years.

You should watch a few Thai fights and then see if your opinion holds up.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cookiemonster said:
As far as a Thai Boxer vs regular boxer, I believe the Thai Boxer would win.

Beliefs like ignorance are free

cookiemonster said:
If you duck in Thai Boxing to avoid a punch, the Thai Boxer would simply grab you by the back of the neck and knee your face off.

Charming.

cookiemonster said:
Barry McGuigan beating Bruce Lee!!!??? Bruce Lee would've eaten McGuigan for breakfast.

Aha. True colours. I guess you like Enter The Dragon and all that geek shoot.

Barry McGuigan, or any decent lightweight boxer who doesn't do films would put to sleep any film martial arts guy

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Judging by your posts, especially the last one, it appears that you just don't like Martial Arts, of any kind.

Also, it confirms my opinion that you also have no idea about martial arts either.

Bruce Lee, my boyhood hero I admit, was an accomplished Martial artist AND BOXER before he made films. He started and developed Jeet Kune Do in 1965 and this is practiced by millions worldwide. He was introduced to Martial arts by his dad so he wasn't a 'film only martial artist'.

I certainly wouldn't say that this is geeky.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cookiemonster said:
I've just noticed this posting and this says to me that you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I started this thread. I do know what I am talking about, because I started it. I don't want to teach you about oriental philosophy.

My inference is that a equal weight boxer, put in a room with your average hobbyist martial art *expert*, will come out better.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Just because you started this thread doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. I have said that there are a few comments that say to me that you have no/very little idea and you just don't like martial arts.

I have gave you a couple of examples from a sport that I love and train in to say that a regular boxer would lose against a decent Thai Boxer.

So, what martial arts have you trained in?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cookiemonster said:
Bruce Lee, my boyhood hero I admit,

That I think is extremely stupid. And I hope I never meet you for that reason.

cookiemonster said:
I certainly wouldn't say that this is geeky.

maybe not geeky. But enough reason to be beaten up by a decent working class fighter like Barry McGuigan.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Why is having Bruce Lee as a childhood hero so wrong in your eyes and what has someone's class got to do with martial arts?

Also, you say that you started the thread because you know what you are talking about. So, what Martial arts have you trained in or have you done any boxing training to form such an 'expert' opinion? Or are you on the wind up?

stevenb

I think Arbitrary was drunk. :smile: His opinions are stereotypical and uneducated and his posts have no justification or meaning of any kind.
I think the only way he'll learn for himself is to train in boxing and then martial arts. Perhaps then he'll have enough background knowledge to base his future opinions.:thumbsup:
The fact that everyone one here has opposed his opinions (based on knowledge too) would indicate that his beliefs are not true. Of course he is perfectly entitled to his opinion and we must all accept that. :tongue:

Sabreur

eing a Swordsman rather than an unarmed Martial Artist I can claim no expertise on this matter (rather like Arbitrary), althouh I have fought off an attacker who came at me in a traditional boxing guard (he didn't realise how quickly I could lunge and couldnt get his guard up in time to stop me hitting him on the nose).

However my Father in Law is a blackbelt in Hapkido and having watched several of their gradings I believe a fight would go something like this:

Boxer tries several jabs which are blocked as the hapkidoist (HKD from now on) gradually increases the distance. Boxer then throws full distance punch and HKD then grabs arm, turns this into a lock and puts the boxer on the floor, The boxer is then hit several times whilst in a prone position and its "goodnight Vienna"

Please feel free to pick this apart.

stephec

Legendary Member
I used to train in Muai Thai until a few years ago and once remember watching a documentary about an western boxer who went to Thailand to learn Muai Thai.

After a few months of training he was deemed to be ready for his first fight, after the contest he came out of the ring and his first words were-

If you put a western boxer in the ring against a Thai boxer the western guy is going straight to hospital.

Commonsense from someone with real experience.

Oh, and Bruce would be far too fast for Barry, he'd knock the shoot out of him before you could blink. There was a line that I read somewhere, possibly in Bruce's autobiography, that says the film makers asked him to slow his moves down as he was too fast to be caught on film.

stevenb

stephec said:
Oh, and Bruce would be far too fast for Barry, he'd knock the shoot out of him before you could blink. There was a line that I read somewhere, possibly in Bruce's autobiography, that says the film makers asked him to slow his moves down as he was too fast to be caught on film.

I agree...I also think he'd have wiped the floor with Mohammad Ali for the same reasosns.:thumbsup:

As I said in one of my previous posts.....a boxers only weapons are his two arms.

I said amartial artists had 4 weapons....their arms and legs....but now I think of it more they use their whole body as a weapon...any part of it.:smile:

At university I went to a demo evening of the Chinese Martial Arts Society which was run by a diminutive LL.M student from Hong Kong. He asked for volunteers to try to punch him while he had his hands behind his back and promised not to move his feet. He blocked the punches with ease.

When it was my turn, I thought I was in with a chance, because boxing was compulsory at my school and I was left handed. All the others has thrown a well telegraphed right. Another advantage I had was that as he wasn't going to hit me back, I could use an exposed combination. So, I threw a fast high right, while whipping in a low left hook, which was my fastest punch. He blocked both easily.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

stevenb said:
I think Arbitrary was drunk. :thumbsup: His opinions are stereotypical and uneducated and his posts have no justification or meaning of any kind.

And what is this supposed to mean please?

Top Bottom