boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
It means that some of your posts could not have came from anyone who had a knowledge of martial arts. I gave a few examples which you have ignored and you haven't still gave any examples to support your point of view. This says to me, and a few others, that you are un-informed and were on the wind up last night.

I still can't get over the statement that Barry McGuigan would beat Bruce Lee. LMAO :thumbsup::biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
I reckon the boxer would win. You have to bear in mind that only boxers are trained to take blows, all the others pretty much depend on avoiding blows.

There is some truth to this.

Abitrary said:
All my stuff is anecdotal as well. I'm just saying that boxers are the hardest.

Its not boxing that makes them hard,its them,they either are or are not.

Any boxer who's had a few fights in a ring could take an extreme fighter.

Not just any,there are different standards in different people.

Abitrary said:
I started this thread. I do know what I am talking about, because I started it. I don't want to teach you about oriental philosophy.

My inference is that a equal weight boxer, put in a room with your average hobbyist martial art *expert*, will come out better.

Now we are changing slightly,a hobbyist martail artist wont have the mind set for real aggression,so yes a boxer ,who has this mindset,would probably win.
A lot of how effective someone is,comes down to their attitude,if they have the right attitude,and train hard and properly,in any given style,they would be effective.
In my oppinion,a mixture of boxing,thai or kick boxing,and judo,would be a pretty hard combination of styles to beat.Its all down to a persons charachter.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
col said:
There is some truth to this.

Not just any,there are different standards in different people.

Now we are changing slightly,a hobbyist martail artist wont have the mind set for real aggression,so yes a boxer ,who has this mindset,would probably win.
A lot of how effective someone is,comes down to their attitude,if they have the right attitude,and train hard and properly,in any given style,they would be effective.
In my oppinion,a mixture of boxing,thai or kick boxing,and judo,would be a pretty hard combination of styles to beat.Its all down to a persons charachter.

Excellent point. Couldn't agree more.

bonj2

If it was a real boxer against a real martial artsman, then the martial would win. But that's only if they actually know how to do real martial arts, like say Jackie Chan does. But the truth is there's not many people in the world who actually know how to do real martial arts, in the sense of being able to put it to good use in a fight.
There are a lot more people who use it as an excuse to dress up in baggy white cotton trousers on a saturday morning and go and dance around a sports hall, occasionally congratulating each other for landing one on a blue pvc mattress. These amateurs put much more effort into developing the 'art' bit than the 'martial' bit, whereas boxing is actually quite a simple skill and most of the development goes into strength and fitness, which actually makes you better at fighting.
So a boxer of average skill level would probably beat a martial artsman of the 'same' skill level, i.e. an ameteur who's been doing it for approx. the same time.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cookiemonster said:
I still can't get over the statement that Barry McGuigan would beat Bruce Lee. LMAO :thumbsup::biggrin:

Any professional trained boxer at top of his game could beat any actor of a similar weight.

Barry McGuigan would take Bruce Lee. Joe Calzaghe would take Steven Seagal. Lennox Lewis would take Hulk Hogan.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Not just strength and fitness, technique is vitally important. If your technique is crap, it doesn't matter a bit how fit you are, you will get creamed. I am speaking from personal experience on this.:thumbsup:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Any professional trained boxer at top of his game could beat any actor of a similar weight.

Barry McGuigan would take Bruce Lee. Joe Calzaghe would take Steven Seagal. Lennox Lewis would take Hulk Hogan.

As I've already mentioned, Bruce Lee was an accomplished martial artist AND BOXER before making movies. Barry McGuigan wouldn't stand a chance in hell.

You cannot put Hulk Hogan and Steven Seagal in the same league as Bruce Lee. That is just astonishingly ignorant.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cookiemonster said:
As I've already mentioned, Bruce Lee was an accomplished martial artist AND BOXER before making movies. Barry McGuigan wouldn't stand a chance in hell.

Like I said, Barry McGuigan at the top of his game would cream Bruce Lee during his acting years.

Bruce Lee in his acting years though might beat McGuigan in his commentating years.

Noodley

My granny in her day could have beaten anyone to death with her handbag of doom.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Bruce Lee was still the world's top martial artist when he was making films. It was his obsession with keeping himself at the top in the world of martial arts that sadly killed him.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Barry McGuigan would beat Bruce Lee in a contest where *no* weapons, numchuks, ninja stars etc. are allowed... and both had to wear boxing gloves.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Barry McGuigan would beat Bruce Lee in a contest where *no* weapons, numchuks, ninja stars etc. are allowed... and both had to wear boxing gloves.

Bruce Lee was a boxer and practiced martial arts with and without weapons.

Top Bottom