Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Getting back is character building no matter which way you aproach Queensbury to be honest :bicycle:

Paul
Up from Holmfield via Windy Bank Lane?

Up from Holmfield via Windy Bank Lane?
https://www.strava.com/activities/274332368

Getting back on topic , I've not ridden the CSH only seen it in passing as I have to go into the LGI most weeks and have to agree that it's sub optimal really but may appeal more to occasional cyclists rather than seasoned cyclists or commuters and have to agree it's on opportunity missed .

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Getting back on topic , I've not ridden the CSH only seen it in passing as I have to go into the LGI most weeks and have to agree that it's sub optimal really but may appeal more to occasional cyclists rather than seasoned cyclists or commuters and have to agree it's on opportunity missed .
Great value for money then? How do these schemes cost SO much????

MarkF

Guru

The "casual cyclists" are on the canal, I don't see any others anywhere else in Bradford. It'll never be a cycling city, it is far too hilly and the driving is horrendous, unless you live here cycle across Bradford you wouldn't believe it, once I am over the Leeds border then I can calm down..

Have you seen the state of the new multi £1m canal path? IMO this is where all the cash should have been spent, widening a 20 mile flat route connecting all the Aire Valley towns with Leeds & Bradford.

The "casual cyclists" are on the canal, I don't see any others anywhere else in Bradford. It'll never be a cycling city, it is far too hilly and the driving is horrendous, unless you live here cycle across Bradford you wouldn't believe it, once I am over the Leeds border then I can calm down..
Have to agree with it being to hilly for to encourage cycling for the general public and the driving standard in Bradford leaves a lot to be desired , Thankfully I live in Queensbury so just head down the other side towards Halifax , Hebbden and Todmordon where drivers on the whole are more considerate but again most of the casual cyclists ride on the canal towpath rather than the road .

Paul

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most cycling schemes are budgeted as short-term one-off grant-funded projects and so often, everything that can be billed to them is... whereas most motoring schemes are seen as part of routine capital and revenue budgets and many of the associated costs are regarded as routine overheads. Councils that are highway authorities will soon publish their draft budgets for the year from next April - dig into them - how little cycling gets from the routine budgets is shocking.
Bradford. It'll never be a cycling city, it is far too hilly and the driving is horrendous, unless you live here cycle across Bradford you wouldn't believe it, once I am over the Leeds border then I can calm down..
I've worked in Bradford but I don't think I ever took my bike. I know it's hilly, but I don't remember the hills being that much more severe than other cities. What I do remember is that cars seemed to dominate all the shortest and flattest routes, whereas places like Bristol and Sheffield have made some effort to reclaim some space for both walking and cycling. I don't really understand what the West Yorkshire councils are playing at.

MarkF

Guru
Have to agree with it being to hilly for to encourage cycling for the general public and the driving standard in Bradford leaves a lot to be desired , Thankfully I live in Queensbury so just head down the other side towards Halifax , Hebbden and Todmordon where drivers on the whole are more considerate but again most of the casual cyclists ride on the canal towpath rather than the road .

Paul

I am lucky and live by the canal so have the Aire Valley to ride on and climbs either side if I fancy it. :smile: I often climb out of the centre via Bolton Road, I've never yet seen another cyclist in that very wide and largely ignored (by drivers) cycle lane and I've been using it for 5 years!

The canal is and was very well used, but re-surfacing sections has attracted fast commuters on road bikes, that's not not going too well, it hasn't been widened.............

classic33

Leg End Member
I am lucky and live by the canal so have the Aire Valley to ride on and climbs either side if I fancy it. :smile: I often climb out of the centre via Bolton Road, I've never yet seen another cyclist in that very wide and largely ignored (by drivers) cycle lane and I've been using it for 5 years!

The canal is and was very well used, but re-surfacing sections has attracted fast commuters on road bikes, that's not not going too well, it hasn't been widened.............
See four wheels & pedal power out that way, chances are its me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pic please. ^_^
Brox.JPG

Small flatbed now fitted at the rear.

Top Bottom