Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My mother commented today on how the CSH has already been turned into a place for cars to park. Despite there being clear kerbs etc that the cars would have had to have driven over. :sad:
That possiblity was given to Bradford Council, who dismissed it as "never likely to occur".

Schneil

Veteran
That possiblity was given to Bradford Council, who dismissed it as "never likely to occur".
Do you know who at Bradford council said that?

I've asked her to take a picture next time she's that way and send it to the local MP and councillor. I'll ask her to send it to the "never likely to occur" person at Bradford council as well. Even though the final CSH isn't great, it still cost a lot of public money to build, and it's not good enough if a few selfish people render it useless.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Parking on a cycle track is an unambiguous offence, unlike parking on a footway (where the offence is driving on it not parking), so Bradford council could be raking it in with tickets if they cared about cycling.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you know who at Bradford council said that?

I've asked her to take a picture next time she's that way and send it to the local MP and councillor. I'll ask her to send it to the "never likely to occur" person at Bradford council as well. Even though the final CSH isn't great, it still cost a lot of public money to build, and it's not good enough if a few selfish people render it useless.
Question asked over the phone at the town hall offices. Later repeated at a cabinet meeting. The only answer other than what's been given by cabinet, is we'll look into it.
Parking on a cycle track is an unambiguous offence, unlike parking on a footway (where the offence is driving on it not parking), so Bradford council could be raking it in with tickets if they cared about cycling.
Parking enforcement seldom make it out that far. Not enough to cover the city centre.

MarkF

Guru

I didn't know that, I know that all the cycle lanes around BCFC will be blocked with cars for tonight's game, as they are for every game.

Latest:- http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....erhighway_route_reaches_Bradford_city_centre/

Th canal has not been worked on for months, and the what was always the worst stretch (Calverley Woods/Rodley) has never been touched. :wacko: Still, me and Mrs F use it every Saturday morning, Shipley to Leeds and, beer permitting, a return.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Couldn't help but notice that the finished sections of the CSH from Seacroft into Leeds the last couple of mornings appears to have no form of treatment / gritting for ice, judging by the glistening blacktop and white frost - plus of course the majority of cyclists who normally use it being back on the main carriageway.
And who can blame them? The surface on the cycleway is that hideous shiny smooth black tarmac that is slippery enough at the best of times, but when iced up? I wouldn't go near it myself.
Which raises the question - this is hardly unusual weather, yet it seems that the CSH is effectively out of use when the temperature approaches zero, despite the huge amount of money that has been thrown at it (which is still regularly generating letters to the local paper)?
Any of the 'get on the cycle path' brigade must have been apoplectic this week...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cambridge brought a special gritting machine for its cycle paths several years ago...
...but no-one is qualified/insured to use it.
http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/in...thways/111/gritting_roads_cycleways_and_paths makes it look like they're gritting them somehow now.

The standard of driving is atrocious, the highway code has no relevance, and road markings are there just to break up the monotony of the black tarmac, park what you want where you want drive how you want, using your mobile phone is mandatory, and speed limits! what the hell are they for? its like driving through a third world country. The cycle lane maybe pants, but it is far safer than the 3 lane death race at the side of it. Its no wonder that BD postcodes make up about 6 of the top ten highest motor insurance risks in the country, with BD3 having the highest population of uninsured drivers in the country to boot.

Cheers...........Howard

Cannot in anyway disagree with this. Having lived in Bradford till I was 30 years old and still have parents there, I think this is honest if very restrained view that many bradfordians have.

Last edited by a moderator:
News from the Leeds end

"Parking enforcement of the superhighway will begin on 3rd May. The parking enforcement officers, will be provided with bikes to allow effective patrols of the whole length."

and

"City Centre plans are expected to go out for consultation in May. Although this is a delay to the original scheme, it is expected that the city centre plans will be more ambitious due to additional funding."

MarkF

Guru
News from the Leeds end

"Parking enforcement of the superhighway will begin on 3rd May. The parking enforcement officers, will be provided with bikes to allow effective patrols of the whole length."

and

"City Centre plans are expected to go out for consultation in May. Although this is a delay to the original scheme, it is expected that the city centre plans will be more ambitious due to additional funding."

I'd have liked that job! Hopefully they'll be similar positions for the canal, even better.:smile:

These "officers" have zero chance in Bradford, as per previous posts, what is normal vehicular behaviour in Bradford would seem extremely bizarre elsewhere including Leeds. Far too many "pool" cars in the inner City for a start, no tax/insurance/owners, so what are they going to do? Getting cars to park legally in Bradford is impossible task.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There have been signs erected on the CSH in East Leeds (well, the intermittent sections that have been completed) banning parking for a few weeks now, so its strange that they won't be enforcing this until May - but it could explain why its being routinely ignored.
What's more concerning is that work on the unfinished sections seem to have all but stopped, with parts where work hasn't even started yet...

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd have liked that job! Hopefully they'll be similar positions for the canal, even better.:smile:

These "officers" have zero chance in Bradford, as per previous posts, what is normal vehicular behaviour in Bradford would seem extremely bizarre elsewhere including Leeds. Far too many "pool" cars in the inner City for a start, no tax/insurance/owners, so what are they going to do? Getting cars to park legally in Bradford is impossible task.
And that's just the private hire & taxis

Top Bottom