Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
And that's just the private hire & taxis

That's another problem, who's driving them? What is the car's condition? Nobody knows because a good % are on Rossendale plates and the council cannot stop & check them. Add on the fun day hire cars, to the no owner pool cars and out-of-town taxis and it'll be fun watching what happens. ^_^

It's a cycle path at which the cyclist has to give way at a road junction.

So what?

There are many similar junctions near me, most with no markings at all.

Makes me more inclined to use the road, but this path is wider and better surfaced than most.

Depends on how busy the junction is, but from the pic it looks as if a cyclist would have a good chance of crossing without having to stop.

I would probably use the cycle path, and even if not, I certainly wouldn't make a fuss about it.

It is also dangerous as it puts cyclists in the wrong position to assess the junction

From John Franklin (Cyclecraft author)

The difficulty of looking behind on a bike has important consequences for road-side paths and explains their poor safety record. The image below shows how the road cyclist can use positioning to emphasise his presence and may then concentratehis attention ahead. The path cyclist, however, cannot exert any influence on drivers behind, and needs to look through a very wide arc for possible conflict. This is very difficult to do, even when stopped.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQISdpFbGek9Mt1wjtblrWSST0vg5yFdDXnUEOm8CjmTeX9biZpvQ.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sadly rubbish because unless the oncoming lane is both narrow and occupied (as illustrated, disingenuously), the road cyclist is also at risk of left hooking and is better off if they keep checking behind. I suspect it's not that motorists can't see cyclists, whether on road or path: it's that a dangerous few just don't care.

Edit: and the illustrated junction layout is contrary to guidance because the cycle track should be either right next to the carriageway or one car length into the side road. Some like that exist, but shouldn't.

......it may be a surprise

Not all cycle ways are built to the !

I am also afraid that I have to disagree totally, the sight lines of the cyclist on the path are compromised

As for the left hook note the use of the words "may", "can" and "emphasise"

This is called the Primary position and used correctly prevents and reduces left hooks and other maneouvres

The Primary position is hardly rubbish

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Primary position is a good idea but it only reduces left hooks. It cannot prevent them (they just drive round you if the oncoming lane is clear, or wide enough they feel they can bully other motorists into moving over) and it's a good idea to look behind, and you'll need to look further round than if on a good cycle track but that doesn't fit JF's case so he pretends you don't and that's what's rubbish.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last Monday I had a go at following the route for this from Leeds-Bradford.

Personally, having ridding along the route, it's a crazy choice. Why not go through Tong village or similar instead?

It's full of junctions and places where any rider will have to swerve all over; I forsee accidents and little use while cyclists stay on the road or take a better/safer alternative.

Last Monday I had a go at following the route for this from Leeds-Bradford.

Personally, having ridding along the route, it's a crazy choice. Why not go through Tong village or similar instead?

It's full of junctions and places where any rider will have to swerve all over; I forsee accidents and little use while cyclists stay on the road or take a better/safer alternative.
Ummm - a little harsh, maybe? It's a utility route serving Leeds, Bradford, and loads of places in between. Not a "sight-seeing" route between Leeds and Bradford? :smile:

I know the York Road sections most, and will very happily use bits of it. The uphills - yes. The downhills - not at 25mph on the commute, but laden with shopping? Yes. Or just out relaxing? Yes. Heading for the station, without busting a gut? Yes.

[Edited] Just looking at the photos of the Bradford end. Now that *****s me off no end. Just bonkers, some of those junctions. What happened to coherent standards of good design? Out the bleedin' window. :cursing:

So different from the section through east Leeds.

Must break the habit of a lifetime, and take a leisure ride through to Bradford one day.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Cycled the section from Barwick Rd roundabout down to Killingbeck in East Leeds this morning as i had to go to Britains Biggest bike Retailer to collect an order.
I've posted my concerns about this before and now the downhill section (on the Cross gates side of the A64) appears finished I thought I'd give it a go.

As a cyclist I really don't want to be overly critical of it, but it's not good is it?
In many places on this relatively short section, the CSH is too narrow for two bikes to safely pass each other. It wanders about, with a couple of excessively tight turns, and although cyclists have priority crossing the side roads coming down the hill, when you get to the Shell filling station / Kwik Fit (just where a conflict is likely due to more cars crossing the CSH) it appears to be a free for all with no markings to indicate who has right of way.
Anyone who is capable of any speed (which is pretty much any competent cyclist considering it's all downhill) is going to try it and then go back to riding on the dual carriageway, risking the ire of the 'get on the cycle path' brigade. And given the nature of the route it's hardly likely to appeal to leisure cyclists who have other alternatives locally.
coming back up the hill, there is a really good mini-slip road joining the CSH from Foundry lane, which is excellent, but then the faults of the other side of the road are all repeated. It's too narrow in too many places for a start. The quality of the work in a lot of areas isn't great and the 'uphill' section still isn't finished with the council working by the fire station again today.
despite the section by Aldi being apparently finished, it spits you across the mouth of the junction of Old York Rd / Barwick Road where the road markings still haven't been updated, making it dangerous even if you're paying attention, then a few more narrow chicanes and three different choices of path on the corner by the roundabout. The CSH then dips onto the estate road to climb the hill (which is fair enough), but then where it crosses the grass verge between Stock Approach and Hansby Drive, it's wider than the road it joins!
Final comment, where it leaves you to cross the dual carriageway at York Rd by the Windmill roundabout is also poorly designed, unclearly marked and presents a danger to users.
This should be a great route to hold up as an example of what can be achieved as a purpose built dedicated cycle route, but there are far too many faults and compromises in it.

MarkF

Guru
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....ford_cycle_superhighway__used_as_a_car_park_/

How predictable, :rolleyes: I know it's wrong, but hell, nobody is cycling in the bloody thing!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I reckon this is going to rumble on for a long long time in the area - it would seem from reports that it's not fit for purpose, 'consultation'with cycling groups effectively ignored, likely to be very little used, etc, etc, - the inevitable result being increased friction between cyclists and drivers, and so on, and on, and on ........

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I reckon this is going to rumble on for a long long time in the area - it would seem from reports that it's not fit for purpose, 'consultation'with cycling groups effectively ignored, likely to be very little used, etc, etc, - the inevitable result being increased friction between cyclists and drivers, and so on, and on, and on ........

That about covers it. £29 million wasted.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bradfords own cycling officer said it was "very badly needed by those who cycle", at the planning stage!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's taken a slating in the Yorkshire Evening Post today as well (and quite rightly so), even if the article is full of sloppy errors.
For example they state the completion date of "spring" has been put back to June - I have two issues with that - firstly the original completion date was December last year, which has been progressively moved back. A few weeks ago the signs were changed to read "Spring 2016" and they've been changed again this week to read "Summer 2016".
Secondly that still seems wildly optimistic considering they haven't even started on sections of it (including the pinch points at the Shaftesbury Junction, and inbound past Seacroft Hospital).

This quote says it all: Roger Geffen MBE, policy director at the Cycling UK charity, has been quoted as saying City Connect (Leeds City Council, Bradford Council and West Yorkshire Combined Authority initiative to deliver the scheme) “is a compelling case for national design standards to ensure that funds earmarked for cycling are not wasted”

The article is here and try not to laugh / cry as you realise that £29 million is being spent on this joke:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....-superhighway-will-set-cycling-back-1-7916928

toffee

Guru
It's taken a slating in the Yorkshire Evening Post today as well (and quite rightly so), even if the article is full of sloppy errors.
For example they state the completion date of "spring" has been put back to June - I have two issues with that - firstly the original completion date was December last year, which has been progressively moved back. A few weeks ago the signs were changed to read "Spring 2016" and they've been changed again this week to read "Summer 2016".
Secondly that still seems wildly optimistic considering they haven't even started on sections of it (including the pinch points at the Shaftesbury Junction, and inbound past Seacroft Hospital).

This quote says it all: Roger Geffen MBE, policy director at the Cycling UK charity, has been quoted as saying City Connect (Leeds City Council, Bradford Council and West Yorkshire Combined Authority initiative to deliver the scheme) “is a compelling case for national design standards to ensure that funds earmarked for cycling are not wasted”

The article is here and try not to laugh / cry as you realise that £29 million is being spent on this joke:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....-superhighway-will-set-cycling-back-1-7916928

There are certainly not happy "Up North"

Derek

Top Bottom