Braking technique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
For some time, following advice from I cannot remember whom, I have been using mostly the front brake and the rear brake only when necessary. I am a great anticipator so I have had to brake in a true emergency on only two or three occasions in 10 years, over 75k, of road cycling

Now I have just read that both brakes should be used equally except in icy conditions when maximum front wheel traction is desirable and so rear brake only. What is your technique and why?

Can I assume that rim v disc makes no difference?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Front brake only unless it's a slippery or loose surface.

alicat

Legendary Member
I haven't analysed my technique for a while so feel free to ignore this. I intend to brake first with the rear brake then quickly bring in the front brake as well. I rely on the front brake for most of the stopping power: the rear one just stops me going over the bars when I apply the front one.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Both brakes used every time with Fr:Rr bias split according to the conditions and my actions. I can't understand anyone that says they only use one or the other, why would you?

There are two brakes and each one brings something different to the party, depending on grip and what manoeuvre you are performing at the time. There is no rule that can give adequate guidance to how they should be used, every situation is different.

Slioch

Guru
Under normal conditions (i.e. no ice, or wet roads, or white lines, or manhole covers) I'm probably 80% front and 20% rear.

Under today's conditions (with skitey bits on the back roads) I was probably 95% rear and 5% front, and with speed adjusted suitably downwards depending on what I could see was was coming up in front of me.

Rim v Disc should make no difference. It's the tyres potential for traction with the road surface that is the crucial bit.

All down to common sense really. :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Plan ahead and feather the brakes, brake before the corner or turn or upcoming obstacle to moderate the speed, not during, be ready to release brakes if you feel a skid starting. Recumbent is different in terms of amount of pressure front and rear, as much easier to lock up front wheel.

As for ice, black ice included, do not brake, do not try and steer, just try and ride it out and brake / steer when you regain traction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom