Braking technique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saithilbine

As a child I rode a bicycle with only rear brakes and did not feel any discomfort:becool: so I still have the habit of relying mainly on the rear brakes, but now I use front brakes too, especially during hard braking or very sharp turns.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nowadays a lot of riders use a thumb lever for the back brake cos they can't press a foot lever down when the bike is cranked hard over in a bend,
Really? I wouldn't have thought they would be wanting to go anywhere near the rear brake when cornering that hard.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wish I could think quick enough to consider using the front 3x more than the rear in an emergency :smile:
When I had a small herd of chickens run across the road at the bottom of a hill, I just grabbed two handfuls and pulled as hard as I could! I pulled so hard my bars twisted down, even though the stem bolts were torqued correctly
Which is why I am always messing about, braking hard, braking late, trying to lift the rear wheel when braking, skidding a little on purpose when it is wet and slippy. It is all good practice and gives you a feel for how a bike behaves. When it is time to perform that emergency stop for real then it is all ingrained second nature and you barely need to 'think'. The choice is simply 'Do I need to stop and how quickly can I stop?', all the rest just happens because you have done it a thousand times before. You will also be sure that your brakes work fully and your handlebars are not loose.... :laugh:

The people that potter around, braking early and carefully well before they need to, always going slowly around corners and never exploring the limits of grip, handling and control will almost always be the ones that have the worst outcomes when faced with an emergency manoeuvre. The same applies to driving a car. If you have no idea when you are approaching the limits of grip, or how your car handles with a wheel locked up in a skid, or two wheels, then you cannot drive safely as you do not know if you are going to do something that the car cannot actually do (this is never more apparent than when it snows and people suddenly find themselves sliding off the road).

mangid

Guru
In good conditions, both brakes, but favouring the front. When it's slippy, favour the rear. In all conditions, good anticipation should minimise the braking required.

On my commute I used to see if I could get to work without using the brakes at all - and that's with 32 sets of lights on the way. Don't think I ever quite achieved it, but it did turn the commute into an interval session at times, trying to catch lights before they changed.

Interestingly the rear rim on my commuter bike is much more worn than the front, in spite of the front doing most of the work. I think this is down to extra grit picked up by the rear on a bike that's ridden in all weathers and only washed weekly (at best).

I like to play that game, I've done a few centuries on my fixed without ever touching the front brake (or stopping), incredibly satisfying when achieved.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Which is why I am always messing about, braking hard, braking late, trying to lift the rear wheel when braking, skidding a little on purpose when it is wet and slippy. It is all good practice and gives you a feel for how a bike behaves. When it is time to perform that emergency stop for real then it is all ingrained second nature and you barely need to 'think'. The choice is simply 'Do I need to stop and how quickly can I stop?', all the rest just happens because you have done it a thousand times before. You will also be sure that your brakes work fully and your handlebars are not loose.... :laugh:

The people that potter around, braking early and carefully well before they need to, always going slowly around corners and never exploring the limits of grip, handling and control will almost always be the ones that have the worst outcomes when faced with an emergency manoeuvre. The same applies to driving a car. If you have no idea when you are approaching the limits of grip, or how your car handles with a wheel locked up in a skid, or two wheels, then you cannot drive safely as you do not know if you are going to do something that the car cannot actually do (this is never more apparent than when it snows and people suddenly find themselves sliding off the road).
I've been cycling for 55 years, when I started riding we had steel rims and virtually no stopping power in even slightly damp conditions!
And, yes I agree finding out the limits/potential of your braking system is important, particularly as a keen rider of vintage bikes.
But I still argue that when you're doing 30mph+ on a completely empty road which is suddenly full of chickens, instinctively or otherwise, you grab a handful of brakes and squeeze (you're right about the handlebars, but without testing to destruction I wouldn't have known)! I didn't fall off and I didn't kill any chickens so I must've done something right :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
But I still argue that when you're doing 30mph+ on a completely empty road which is suddenly full of chickens, instinctively or otherwise, you grab a handful of brakes and squeeze...…. I didn't fall off and I didn't kill any chickens so I must've done something right :smile:
Yes, but you improve your chances.

I shouldn't talk, just last autumn I put myself over the bars in good style when emergency braking on the road. I was on a new bike, and even though it was essentially the same bike as the one it replaced who would have thought that Ultegra hydraulic disk brakes would be so much more powerful than the 105 hydraulic brakes of the same generation!!!!

I didn't hit anything or break anything so lesson learnt with nothing more than a few grazes and a big dent in my pride :laugh:

I think you're addressing the symptoms, not the cause here. Until we address the deep seated underlying problems we will make no progress.

You have to ask: Why did the chickens cross the road?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Well...
Chicken-Can-Cross-The-Road-Metal-Sign_ms1834_R_17ff146e.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really? I wouldn't have thought they would be wanting to go anywhere near the rear brake when cornering that hard.
I'd have to go looking for the answer on t'internet but @Jody kindly did it for me, my knowledge of this technique goes back to an interview with Barry Sheene who used the back brake to tame the power under acceleration on the vicious 500/750 2 strokes, if you shut the throttle the bike slows too much whereas hitting the back brake keeps the engine 'on song' but brings the front end back down.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My habit of using my rear brake as a drag brake on downhills has led to overheating and weakening of the tyre bead and ultimately blowouts. I still do it mind, it's just a (bad) habit, but I now regularly inspect the bead of my rear tyre. And sometimes try to equal it out with a touch of front braking too if I remember.
I don't think the bead can get hot enough to weaken. Tyres generally pop off under sustained braking because the air inside heats up, and therefore so does the pressure (Boyle's Law). If your tyre goes from 20 deg C to 100 deg C (which is plausible), that's a pressure increase of 27%* which could be enough to pop a tyre if it was close to the max when you pumped it up.

*this assumes the air is an ideal gas, which it isn't - the pressure rise could be more than this, depending on how damp it was when you filled the tyre.

Top Bottom