Braking technique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I was a kid I had a BMX with a coaster brake. That thing was the best at skids. Lean right over to one side and just stamp on the pedal.
Did you not get into the brake, skid, release to one side, then the other going downhill, bit like slaloming on skis. :hyper:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Always use both. Wear rims out the same when I commuted (on a fixie - yes still braked). MTB, then it's varying which brake you use lots. Front brake off going down technical stuff, back only, otherwise it's a face plant.

Slick

Guru
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was cleaning and lubing the commuter and thought about adjusting my rear brakes as I felt there was a bit of travel before it would bite. I was reminded of my own cycling proficiency test circa 81-82 and being told 60 40 bias in favour of the front was recommended.

I learned on my bmx style bike when i was about 8 years old not to use your front brakes when going downhill.(i went rolling down, bike following) i mainly use both brakes rear being used to reduce speed, front to completely stop(as keep you rear engaged leads to your rear will to start slipping. On ice it more of a question of reducing/not making much speed and feel the road i try not the be needing my brakes in those case but if i have to it will be the rear. I rarely use both if i need to stop unexpectedly and fast.
Going to replace my pads soon, of the pads is almost the same front and rear think slightly more wear to the front.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In the dry I use front to slow and both to stop. When slippy then far more of a rear bias. Certainly I wear the front out faster than the rear.

wonderloaf

Veteran
As a kid a few decades ago I was taught back brake first to slow you down and the front brake to bring you to a stop. Fast forward after a bike riding gap of about 40 years and I still find it hard to use the front as the primary brake, although I agree with the logic there's still this little bit inside that's worried about going over the bars!

D

Deleted member 26715

I’m surprised that there is so much variance and rigidity in the way people brake. One rule cannot fit all riding. Speed, surface, weight distribution, lean angle, incline, weather etc all make a difference to how you use your brakes.
You're far too sensible, go stand in the corner, they don't want answers like that

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Isn't that illegal?
Not on a fixie in UK law (1983 construction and use regs). A front brake only is sufficient if the rear wheel cannot rotate independently of the pedals.

A fixed wheel isn't a brilliant emergency brake, so I am very, very careful to set up and maintain the front brake correctly

Top Bottom