Braking technique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the situation requires it then skids. Such as for instance throwing out time at the bingo. Otherwise every time a rolling endo - whilst still pedalling furiously

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Discs.

Front almost 100% of the time - back if the road surface is loose esp' after chipping applications.

Occasionally use the back on long-ish descents if I want to give the front a rest, which is not really necessary as even on such descents I'll be well inside the design parameters, as even though descents are long where I live they are hardly Alpine in nature. I maybe need to revisit exactly why I do this. :smile:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Brake hard with both brakes until the bike is at the right speed, move weight around, and change pressure on brakes levers to make sure any skid remains wicked, but doesn't become painful ( rider hitting the ground), or expensive (tyre destroying or bike hitting the ground), and it all works better if you can do this when travelling in a straight line. I think that about covers it, and I'm sure most will do this pretty much automatically. No need to complicate stuff.

Last edited:

mangid

Guru
Not on a fixie in UK law (1983 construction and use regs). A front brake only is sufficient if the rear wheel cannot rotate independently of the pedals.

A fixed wheel isn't a brilliant emergency brake, so I am very, very careful to set up and maintain the front brake correctly

Indeed, not illegal.

20+ years riding fixed probably >150,000 miles never had an issue. Indeed, my experience is that the direct association between legs and wheel give you far better fine speed control, and feel for the road surface conditions.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Interesting thread, its given me a reason to think about my braking technique. I'm considerably less scientific than most posters but I can see there is good reason to be more aware of your braking technique. Since moving to a disc brake equipped bike it I seem to be getting get side ways and out of shape when engaged in emergency braking maneuvers, normally in response to unexpected car activity. Thanks for the various replies and inputs.

For some time, following advice from I cannot remember whom, I have been using mostly the front brake and the rear brake only when necessary. I am a great anticipator so I have had to brake in a true emergency on only two or three occasions in 10 years, over 75k, of road cycling

Now I have just read that both brakes should be used equally except in icy conditions when maximum front wheel traction is desirable and so rear brake only. What is your technique and why?

Can I assume that rim v disc makes no difference?
Front brake to slow, rear to stop, in an emergency, use both . If it’s icy, the front is liable to let go spectacularly, so use it sparingly.

Venod

Eh up
I use both, favour the front more but use the back a fair bit for subtle reductions in speed
My mate never uses the rear at all, I have tried educating him in the art of braking but it hasn't worked.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I use both, favour the front more but use the back a fair bit for subtle reductions in speed
My mate never uses the rear at all, I have tried educating him in the art of braking but it hasn't worked.
But it works for him. Many Moto GP riders never touch the rear brake unless it's wet and they have to brake seriously hard from 200mph +.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It varies according to road conditions, and to be honest I never think about it. But the main thing is riding as smoothly as possible, anticipation, and braking as little as possible.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I use both, but I lead slightly with the rear, by applying it gently first before adding in the front. I never, ever, use the front by itself, having learnt my lesson a couple of times as a youngster by launching myself over the bars as a result of heavy-handed front-only braking. Braking effort achievable is related to the weight distribution on each wheel. A flat bar bike with an upright riding position will put more weight over the rear tyre, especially if the geometry is also slack which puts the saddle further rearwards. If I'm going to lock any wheel, I would rather lock the rear, as if you lock up the front one you don't have any steering!

boydj

Legendary Member
In good conditions, both brakes, but favouring the front. When it's slippy, favour the rear. In all conditions, good anticipation should minimise the braking required.

On my commute I used to see if I could get to work without using the brakes at all - and that's with 32 sets of lights on the way. Don't think I ever quite achieved it, but it did turn the commute into an interval session at times, trying to catch lights before they changed.

Interestingly the rear rim on my commuter bike is much more worn than the front, in spite of the front doing most of the work. I think this is down to extra grit picked up by the rear on a bike that's ridden in all weathers and only washed weekly (at best).

In the past I've been back first for control then front to actually stop but since moving down here where hills are short or none existent and surfaces are generally drier and better maintained gradually I've been 'peppering' the front brake on its more own unless it one of those aforementioned conditions.

I use both brakes reasonably evenly probably 60-40, 55-45 front bias (%).

This becomes approx 75-25 in an emergency situation.
I wish I could think quick enough to consider using the front 3x more than the rear in an emergency :smile:
When I had a small herd of chickens run across the road at the bottom of a hill, I just grabbed two handfuls and pulled as hard as I could! I pulled so hard my bars twisted down, even though the stem bolts were torqued correctly

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But it works for him. Many Moto GP riders never touch the rear brake unless it's wet and they have to brake seriously hard from 200mph +.
They were more likely to use the back brake to control acceleration in the pre 'traction control' days, helped stop the front wheel coming up too.

Nowadays a lot of riders use a thumb lever for the back brake cos they can't press a foot lever down when the bike is cranked hard over in a bend,

Top Bottom