Breathless after 2 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

K33k00

Hi everyone,
I do 2 miles in 5 - 8 minutes and am really exhausted at the end, I do feel i push myself quite a bit for this journey. I ride a Hybrid (carrera crossfire 2) and have been doing so for a year.

Would you say it is normal to be exhausted for that journey?

also whilst on subject of times any hints on shaving a few seconds/minutes off that, without spending money?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep going, keep trying.

I end up breathless at every set of lights. The fitter you get, its still as hard, you just go faster. ;)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
you probably havent warmed up after 2 miles. You're body is going from nothing to a mad dash then nothing.

I find the first 10 minutes are the hardest, and then my legs, lungs and heart seem to click in. Your body needs to warm up.

BSRU

A Human Being
Are you using a massive gear?
When I started riding many moons ago I copied what I saw in the Tour de France and mistakenly rode around on the big ring everywhere:blush:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hi everyone,
I do 2 miles in 5 - 8 minutes and am really exhausted at the end, I do feel i push myself quite a bit for this journey. I ride a Hybrid (carrera crossfire 2) and have been doing so for a year.

Would you say it is normal to be exhausted for that journey?

also whilst on subject of times any hints on shaving a few seconds/minutes off that, without spending money?

Sounds like you need to slow down a bit, it isn't a race you know ;)

OP
OP
K

K33k00

Sounds like you need to slow down a bit, it isn't a race you know ;)
I know what your saying, i just like getting from a to b quick. Is not rally an enjoyable ride it's just my daily commute. Enjoyable rides any usually as much of an issue because they is no time limit.

Are you using a massive gear?
When I started riding many moons ago I copied what I saw in the Tour de France and mistakenly rode around on the big ring everywhere:blush:
I tend to be in 8 the most 2 on front 4 on back. All depends on gradient and wind for me.

you probably havent warmed up after 2 miles. You're body is going from nothing to a mad dash then nothing.

I find the first 10 minutes are the hardest, and then my legs, lungs and heart seem to click in. Your body needs to warm up.

Think you could be on to something there, with it being such a short journey. I'll try using doing a bit of warming up before I begin my journey. See how much that helps.

You say yourself you push yourself quite a bit, so of course you will feel exhausted.

I get that. It's just I feel a bit more worn out than I feel is class as normal.

Keep going, keep trying.

I end up breathless at every set of lights. The fitter you get, its still as hard, you just go faster. ;)

Nice way of thinking about it. I thought I may of been mega unfit. But I suppose I do feel I make good time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ride your bike more, you can hardly expect constant improvements bashing it over 2 mile a couple of times a day.

I am dubious of your stated journey times.

JohnC60

I find it takes 15-20 minutes to warm up in summer and about 45 minutes in winter before I feel my legs are functioning efficiently.
(Well as efficiently as they're ever likely to)! Try leaving a few minutes earlier and extend your route. My direct commute is only 1.1 miles each way but I always try and make it 4-5 miles which I feel much better for. .

OP
OP
K

K33k00

I will recheck my times later, though I'm pretty sure they are accurate. However I do this journey a total 4 to 8 a day so I thought my body would get used to it.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I find it takes me one or two miles to get comfortable on the bike both legs and cardio\breathing it then seems like body says "christ are you doing this again" and slips in to routine mode

tyred

Legendary Member
For such a short ride, I would make no effort to push myself. It takes a few miles just to get warmed up properly and the time difference between a leisurely 2 miles and a "head down, arse up" 2 miles wouldn't be very much normally.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Doing 4 to 8 flat out sprints every day is bound to tire you out.

I find I dont really warm up for the first 10 miles or so so on short journeys I just go at whats comfortable.
Sprinting on cold muscles is also a good way to cause an injury.

Re cost free way to go faster, keep your tyres at max pressure .If they have knobblys or tread pattern change for slicks when they are worn out.

GrasB

Veteran
Those sorts of times on that sort of bike is hard work for no-warm up. The reason you're breathless is that even if you are strong enough to put out the power you're not getting blood efficiently to the legs, that means they're not getting enough O2 & you'll feel breathless. In fact the stronger your legs the bigger the problem!

Cold & straight down the road I'd be about 10-15mph down on my all out peek sprinting speed compared to riding at a sustained 10-15mph for 10min. Also doing that would be a fast track way to pick up an injury.

Top Bottom