British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It may hurt and you may be injured but that’s not the 3rd party’s fault if you ride into it. Doubt you’d die though
As we've said all along in this thread, it very much depends on your own viewpoint. Personally I doubt very much I'd ride into someone's mirror unless I was forced into it. We all ride fairly defensively on bikes because we're vulnerable. If by chance I did ride into someone's mirror and totalled it, I'd pay for it, I don't need insurance for that. In exactly the same way if in life I did something which damaged something, I'd pay for it, I don't think the risk is any greater on a pushbike, except to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
so in effect if another BC member wipes me out on a group ride and I am seriously injured then my policy is a waste of time and money.

Which is probably a likely scenario considering the standard of the BC roadcraft.

steverob

Guru
I wonder what would happen if you were in an incident with another BC member, but they weren't cycling at the time and you were - for example, they were in a car, or were a pedestrian. Would the "can't claim against other BC members" clause still be in effect there? You'd think not, but at the same time it doesn't explicitly say "when on a bike".

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder what would happen if you were in an incident with another BC member, but they weren't cycling at the time and you were - for example, they were in a car, or were a pedestrian. Would the "can't claim against other BC members" clause still be in effect there? You'd think not, but at the same time it doesn't explicity say "when on a bike".
Email and ask them. But I’d say the chances of either were minimal unless you happened so be at a BC event

vickster

Legendary Member
As we've said all along in this thread, it very much depends on your own viewpoint. Personally I doubt very much I'd ride into someone's mirror unless I was forced into it. We all ride fairly defensively on bikes because we're vulnerable. If by chance I did ride into someone's mirror and totalled it, I'd pay for it, I don't need insurance for that. In exactly the same way if in life I did something which damaged something, I'd pay for it, I don't think the risk is any greater on a pushbike, except to me.
Indeed and I have BC membership to cover me on a bike against a car or a pedestrian against me on a bike

Tom B

Guru
As we've said all along in this thread, it very much depends on your own viewpoint. Personally I doubt very much I'd ride into someone's mirror

Given that proclaimation I'd give it month!

I've done it. Was riding the MTB with wide bars after being used to a bike with narrower bars.

Clipped and knocked a mirror off a parked nearly new van, owned by a large utility company. Glass broke and the painted cover was scratched.

To my amazement the guy didn't care and said it was fine and to leave it with him.

So I did

Given that proclaimation I'd give it month!

I've done it. Was riding the MTB with wide bars after being used to a bike with narrower bars.

Clipped and knocked a mirror off a parked nearly new van, owned by a large utility company. Glass broke and the painted cover was scratched.

To my amazement the guy didn't care and said it was fine and to leave it with him.

So I did
probably, it's always tempting fate to say things like that. I'm not completely scott free though. I rode into a lorry wing mirror on my chopper once but my head took that one. I hit it so hard my feet came off the pedals. I've hit quite a few on my motorbike weaving through traffic, including one bloke who set off in a kind of slow pursuit but somehow managed to catch me at some lights and remonstrated with me, whereupon I got off my bike got hold of his mirror which was completely facing the wrong way and heaved it back into it's slot like a practised mechanic. I'm not saying I might have had practice at it or anything.....

Top Bottom