British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dm800

Regular
So what happens if a BC member ends up in a legal dispute with another BC member. I would have thought the same firm of solicitors could not represent both parties?

Drago

Legendary Member
Its unethical for the same solicitor to do so, bit there are no rules preventing the same firm from doing so, just as long as different solicitors do the deed. In reality the 2nd person to approach the firm would likely be redirected elsewhere.

vickster

Legendary Member
So what happens if a BC member ends up in a legal dispute with another BC member. I would have thought the same firm of solicitors could not represent both parties?
They don’t. Presumably you’d need to find alternate legal representation.
I have BC to support me should I be knocked off my bike (as happened in 2014) or should I hit a ped or a car. Having an issue with another cyclist is much less likely as I don’t ride in groups, do sportives or race

Dm800

Regular
Just found this on BC website.

What is not covered?
Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member.
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg. where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event(2).
  • involving contractual, sale of goods and services or product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment (see below for information on assistance available if you have injuries which may have been caused by a defect with your bike).
  • involving criminal legal advice or representation.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident(3).
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.
  • where the incident involves a Commute member taking part in cycling events or group cycling activities involving multiple participants, such as races, sportives, club rides and group rides.

Dm800

Regular
so in effect if another BC member wipes me out on a group ride and I am seriously injured then my policy is a waste of time and money.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
so in effect if another BC member wipes me out on a group ride and I am seriously injured then my policy is a waste of time and money.

It depends on how likely you think that outcome is, but yes.
This is why I switched to CUK at my last renewal.

I am interested in this cover as the other day i came very close to swiping the side of a stationary car.:ohmy:
It seems BC helps you with some legal aid if someone injures you but i could not see that on the CUK website.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am interested in this cover as the other day i came very close to swiping the side of a stationary car.:ohmy:
It seems BC helps you with some legal aid if someone injures you but i could not see that on the CUK website.
It’s the same for CUK. Different legal firm tho

vickster

Legendary Member
You're right it does, I'm sure it never used to but really, how much damage are you as a cyclist going to do to a car, I think it's faintly ridiculous to consider it for this reason. Be a bit cleverer when you take out your house insurance is my advice.
Could total an £800 electric wing mirror, scrape down a wing or two I guess. Although clearly not my fault, my pedal caused a fair amount of damage apparently when I was knocked off as I and my bike presumably bounced off the side of the car. I guess that could happen if a cyclist were at fault

Ultimately, BC ride is under £50 a year, hardly a kings ransom in the general scheme of things. Legal cover on a home policy is £30 typically I think and not everyone has or needs a home policy

Reactions: C R
Could total an £800 electric wing mirror, scrape down a wing or two I guess. Although clearly not my fault, my pedal caused a fair amount of damage apparently when I was knocked off as I and my bike presumably bounced off the side of the car. I guess that could happen if a cyclist were at fault

Ultimately, BC ride is under £50 a year, hardly a kings ransom in the general scheme of things. Legal cover on a home policy is £30 typically I think and not everyone has or needs a home policy
You're right, wing mirrors are a ridiculous price but to total one on a pushbike is going to bloody hurt and see you off. I've hit them with motorbikes and not damaged them. My son hit a car abroad on holiday once. I could've claimed on the HI but we agreed for the bloke to go to a garage and get a quote and I gave him the 300 euro. My feeling is if you've done enough damage to a car for a claim against you, you won't be in a position to care.

vickster

Legendary Member
You're right, wing mirrors are a ridiculous price but to total one on a pushbike is going to bloody hurt and see you off. I've hit them with motorbikes and not damaged them. My son hit a car abroad on holiday once. I could've claimed on the HI but we agreed for the bloke to go to a garage and get a quote and I gave him the 300 euro. My feeling is if you've done enough damage to a car for a claim against you, you won't be in a position to care.
It may hurt and you may be injured but that’s not the 3rd party’s fault if you ride into it. Doubt you’d die though

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom