British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I have aversion to paying for things I don't need/use, so is £35.10 a fair price for British Cycling membership, it seems expensive to me for the benefits.

Priority access to tickets I'll not use this
Weekly Member Newsletter I'm not interested in this
10% off in Halfords stores nationwide I don't buy from Halfords
Three issues for £3 - Cyclist Magazine Extra money I won't spend
Discounted bike insurance The bike is a named item on the house Insurance
Liability Insurance and Legal Assistance So this is really all I'm buying it for, but in the 50 years I've been riding a bike I've never got into a situation where this has been needed. But that's not so say I won't tomorrow.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've found the legal support for my last accident very useful, but you could probably find a similar service on a no-win-no-fee basis without BC's help.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm a member mainly for the provisional racing licence. The only alternative is paying for a day licence every time I take part in a race, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Even if you never race, it's probably worthwhile for the insurance. For the amount of cover you get, and the legal assistance, it's very cheap.

Drago

Legendary Member
I only bother with CyclingUK because I get it half price. Otherwise, I don't think CUK or BC are good value. If I competed or the like then that'd be different, but I don't.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There was a Strava challenge last month & if you completed it, you were rewarded with 20% off BC membership, iirc the code was strava20 :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have aversion to paying for things I don't need/use, so is £35.10 a fair price for British Cycling membership, it seems expensive to me for the benefits.

Priority access to tickets I'll not use this
Weekly Member Newsletter I'm not interested in this
10% off in Halfords stores nationwide I don't buy from Halfords
Three issues for £3 - Cyclist Magazine Extra money I won't spend
Discounted bike insurance The bike is a named item on the house Insurance
Liability Insurance and Legal Assistance So this is really all I'm buying it for, but in the 50 years I've been riding a bike I've never got into a situation where this has been needed. But that's not so say I won't tomorrow.

On the basis of that I'd say it's probably not worth your while.

You might even already have 3rd party liability cover and legal assistance on your household insurance, in which case it's definitely not.

pawl

Legendary Member

I have just cancelled my renewal. I originally joined when it was the CTC and it had a half decent magazine.
Have now joined British Cycling.I was last a member when it was the BCF.

I had only been a member for three weeks when I was hit by a car broken arm and nose six stitches in my head.Originaly didn’t think they would be interested having been a member for a short period of time.

Service was first class enough for a brand new frame plus damages for injuries
To be fair Cycling UK is ok if you are in to campaigning.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was thinking the same a few weeks back when i figured having liability insurance is possibly a good idea. Not that I'm in the habit of crashing into cars, but if i did and it was all my fault, the car owner would probably appreciate it. But could do without paying £35 a year. Will definitely have a look at Cycleplan though, £15 wouldn't be missed. Thanks @Banjo :smile:

Top Bottom