British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
04262460-3247-4A85-8BEC-E6380A8B3628.png
I have sent an email ^_^
As above. A big excess. BC don’t have one and there are further benefits

Also, have you checked if you have legal cover on your home policy which may cover

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Also, have you checked if you have legal cover on your home policy which may cover
Thank you, no not yet on the hoe cover, I suspect I ticked the box that said no, but need to find the email/paperwork

Crankarm

Guru
Cycleplan excesses
£300 for property damage
£500 for injury liability.
You can pay a higher premium and not have any excess.

Why the hell would you sign up to something like this that is free with BC or CyclingUK and gives you absolutely no benefits? At least with BC or CyclingUK you get discounts on buying cycling gear and your are SUPPORTING cycling whether general campaigning, racing or raising the profile of cycling, supporting large cycling organisations. This is straight old insurance which you do NOT need. I bet they would try and get out of any liability of meeting any claim on the policy which is not the case with BC's or CyclingUK's schemes.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Cycle Plan costs £25 (£22.50 if discounted) for £5 million worth of cover (it's cheaper for less cover). BCs cover, included in the membership fee, is £15 million.

Frankly, given the potential sizes of PI awards these days, and the 2017 changes in award discount rates, if you're going to insure you'd be daft to go for anything less than £5 million.

And equally daft not to sign up with CyclingUK or BC.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

you'd be daft to go for anything less
You know me so well :laugh:
Why the hell would you sign up to something like this that is free with BC or CyclingUK and gives you absolutely no benefits? At least with BC or CyclingUK you get discounts on buying cycling gear and your are SUPPORTING cycling whether general campaigning or racing or raising the profile of cycling. This is straight old insurance which you do NOT need. I bet they would try and get out of any liability of meeting any claim on the policy which is not the case with BC's or CyclingUK's schemes.
Because for an extra £0.94p you can indemnify yourself from the excess, it would also work out £27 cheaper as I would not use any of the benefits offered by BC.

Crankarm

Guru
You know me so well :laugh:

Because for an extra £0.94p you can indemnify yourself from the excess, it would also work out £27 cheaper as I would not use any of the benefits offered by BC.

But afaik you don't have any excess to pay with BC or CyclingUK. You haven't really thought this through have you?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
But afaik you don't have any excess to pay with BC or CyclingUK. You haven't really thought this through have you?
Cycle plan's middle option liability insurance with the excess waiver is less than half the price of BCs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycle plan's middle option liability insurance with the excess waiver is less than half the price of BCs.
Do they also indemnify all costs if you make a claim for injury or damage to yourself or the bike? Or is I too just if you injure or damage a third party?

So do you need to go elsewhere for legal cover where a chunk of your payout will be retained? For me that's the benefit of BC for my ongoing claim

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Do they also indemnify all costs if you make a claim for injury or damage to yourself or the bike? Or is I too just if you injure or damage a third party?

So do you need to go elsewhere for legal cover where a chunk of your payout will be retained? For me that's the benefit of BC for my ongoing claim
Looking at your screenshot above, it's injury or damage to or from a third party.

The only thing that makes me think about liability insurance is if i damage someones car and it's all my fault. Can't afford to pay for the damage, can't afford the excess but wouldn't miss £15 a year. I'd begrudgingly pay £35 but as the OP points out, I'd be paying for extras that i neither want nor need.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking at Vicster's screenshot above, it's injury or damage to or from a third party.

The only thing that makes me think about liability insurance is if i damage someones car and it's all my fault. Can't afford to pay for the damage, can't afford the excess but wouldn't miss £15 a year. I'd begrudgingly pay £35 but as the OP points out, I'd be paying for extras that i neither want nor need.
Yes that was my point

You'd hope you never need legal cover for injury to yourself or damage to your property...that's what we all hope, unfortunately for me I am very glad I was a BC member on 16.2.14!

Red17

Veteran
You get what you pay for. I just don't want to pay much. Currently I'm not paying owt. I'm looking to cover myself for damage to a car door or boot, or a van's side panel, that's all.

I was worried more about the level of personal injury claims if I hit a pedestrian than vehicle damage when I was looking for cover. That's likely to be a bigger potential claim Imo

Top Bottom