British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's worth having - getting knocked off your bike by a driver who does a runner, and the other 'person' knocked over sues you. It happens, and cover may or may not be on your household policy. I'm somehow at fault for doing nothing wrong or anything that contributed to the incident. My crime was to be the honest person and remain on scene checking folk out and passing on my details. Other person didn't even report it to the police.

Slick

Guru
It's worth having - getting knocked off your bike by a driver who does a runner, and the other 'person' knocked over sues you. It happens, and cover may or may not be on your household policy. I'm somehow at fault for doing nothing wrong or anything that contributed to the incident. My crime was to be the honest person and remain on scene checking folk out and passing on my details. Other person didn't even report it to the police.
Wow, how does that even work?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I was thinking the same a few weeks back when i figured having liability insurance is possibly a good idea. Not that I'm in the habit of crashing into cars, but if i did and it was all my fault, the car owner would probably appreciate it. But could do without paying £35 a year. Will definitely have a look at Cycleplan though, £15 wouldn't be missed. Thanks @Banjo :smile:

https://www.cycleplan.co.uk/?ref=PP...90rpTZqFKEVAHjLMKuBoCZn0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

At the moment they are doing 2 million liability cover for £13.50. If you put a scratch on a car it could cost hundreds . Injuring someone could cost you your house.Got to be worth it in my opinion.

fossyant

Wow, how does that even work?

Exactly. Get knocked off, I and bike go flying, bike clips another cyclist and he is off too. Not his fault either, but 3.5 years later I find this is still going on and his solicitor claims there was no knowledge of a car hitting me. Then they send me my emails that specifically mention a particular car (WTF you do know about it !) Grabbing at sticks, but BC has appointed a defence lawyer as it's getting out of hand. I had thought it was all sorted. More stress.

Slick

Guru
Exactly. Get knocked off, I and bike go flying, bike clips another cyclist and he is off too. Not his fault either, but 3.5 years later I find this is still going on and his solicitor claims there was no knowledge of a car hitting me. Then they send me my emails that specifically mention a particular car (WTF you do know about it !) Grabbing at sticks, but BC has appointed a defence lawyer as it's getting out of hand. I had thought it was all sorted. More stress.
Sounds it. It also sound's like scum bag lawyers looking to make someone pay rather than who was initially to blame. Not easy when you are the scapegoat but best left to your defence lawyer. Hopefully he/she is a bigger scum bag than theirs.

fossyant

Sounds it. It also sound's like scum bag lawyers looking to make someone pay rather than who was initially to blame. Not easy when you are the scapegoat but best left to your defence lawyer. Hopefully he/she is a bigger scum bag than theirs.

Nightmare, but he represents them when you get this sort of rubbish. He told me about some serious injuries people had received on big events, underwritten by BC, but the riders had ignored signs and crashed on 'normal road features' - hard as it is, but the cyclist was an idiot !

Slick

Guru
Nightmare, but he represents them when you get this sort of rubbish. He told me about some serious injuries people had received on big events, underwritten by BC, but the riders had ignored signs and crashed on 'normal road features' - hard as it is, but the cyclist was an idiot !
Sounds like a nightmare and for the little it will be worth, I hope it's brought to a conclusion soon. Having that hang over your head can bring irs own problems especially for that length of time.

fossyant

Sounds like a nightmare and for the little it will be worth, I hope it's brought to a conclusion soon. Having that hang over your head can bring irs own problems especially for that length of time.

Well it's not good - lots of extra complications being in I work near the blokes wife (same company - was literally next to her in work so no reason to lie) and I have my own broken spine injury from another commute a year after this- PS Manchester commuting isn't great.... It's no good in a dirty big car either now.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Whether you go BC or otherwise I would highly advocate getting some sort of insurance

With my BC (renewal has just come through at £39) and having had one fault and one not at fault accident in the past 18 months their legal/ 3rd party insurance have been amazing. Even if you have never ever been in an incident I would make the case for someone to get it, as mentioned a simple scratch could cost a fortune and you never know when someone may innocently anchor on to avoid missing their turning.

I also get stuff from Halfords in order to make the 10% off pay for the membership over the course of the year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just been looking at the cycleplan & £1M currently is only £11.25 but it mentions there is an 'excess' but I do not appear to be able to find out how much that is

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just been looking at the cycleplan & £1M currently is only £11.25 but it mentions there is an 'excess' but I do not appear to be able to find out how much that is

Cycleplan excesses
£300 for property damage
£500 for injury liability.
You can pay a higher premium and not have any excess.

Top Bottom