British Cycling Membership, is it worth the £35.10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
CUK member here, since I,m car free. £40 a year is worth it. I mainly use Cotswold for my discounts .

Tom B

Guru
CUK member here, since I,m car free. £40 a year is worth it. I mainly use Cotswold for my discounts .

Me too...

I've had them both and feel I get more for CUK.

I use the allfrauds discount regularly and hope not to use the third party insurance / claim services.

B/C was a PITA to cancel and they refused to refund my years subscription when it auto renewed.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So why go with CUK over BC? I don't get the difference

Sorry, I completely got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were referring to BC's lawyers instead. I guess they must have a contingency for CUK member v CUK member, perhaps they have another firm retained for such cases.

I know I wrote, on page 4 that I've had BCF/BC cover for many years, but a friend was knocked off a few years ago, & due to the 3rd party 'muddying the waters' (denying what had been stated/wrote at the time), it's taken till recently to sort out

I think it was 5 years, due to this, but he got a payout last year

British Cycling did it for him!

Crankarm

Guru
Any cyclist who rides on the roads or indeed off-road who doesn't have insurance must have rocks in their head. I just can't believe there are so many tight wads out there. The cost of 3rd party liability insurance whether through BC or CyclingUK is hardly a lot of money and you get to support cycling. And should a 3rd party claim against you then you are covered rather than losing everything and being bankrupted if the claim is successful.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Does the insurance cost for BC go up every year? £35 or £39 seems slightly on the high side but probably worth getting.

But I wonder if this is bait price and then it is increased in subsequent years?

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the insurance cost for BC go up every year? £35 or £39 seems slightly on the high side but probably worth getting.

But I wonder if this is bait price and then it is increased in subsequent years?
Yes. Up into the 40s now for Ride cover. You get a bit off for auto renewal I think

mustang1

Legendary Member
What got me thinking about this thread was a certain yoga teacher who has been in the news lately while crossing the road staring at her phone yet the cyclist has to pay out.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
BC Ride for me - I too like to have the peace of mind it brings.

The price does seem to go up by more than inflation each year plus the discount etc benefits are not much use to me - especially once you take out the Evans & Halfords exclusions. BC could possibly work a bit harder at these to make them genuinely useful.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Liability Insurance and Legal Assistance So this is really all I'm buying it for, but in the 50 years I've been riding a bike I've never got into a situation where this has been needed. But that's not so say I won't tomorrow.

You can get bicycle theft and Public Liability insurance for just £16.61
https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/products/cycle-insurance/

Given the recent publicity about a pedestrian being awarded £4000 for walking in front of a cyclist you can guarantee others will accidentally do the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom